autofill in pinentry-mac used to work on 8.7.0, but hasn't worked since the updates

Options
citrusmoose
citrusmoose
Community Member

When prompted for a password in pinentry-mac (0.9.4), I could autofill. It prompted me to fill once or fill and update, and after updating the entry, it appropriately linked the app. After 8.7.1, autofill stopped working - no password, not prompts, nothing. I tried removing the linked app, After trying to autofill again, I would get the mini window, but selecting the appropriate entry did nothing - no autofill, no prompts.

1Password Version: 8.7.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12.4
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:pinentry

Comments

• Jack.P_1P
    edited July 2022
    Options

Hey @citrusmoose:

Thanks for flagging this! This was an interesting one that I had to dig into a bit for.

To protect your secrets, Universal Autofill doesn't fill into apps that aren't signed. pinentry-mac as installed by Homebrew (and possibly other distribution methods) isn't signed, and as such, Universal Autofill won't fill into it.

With that said, I do believe there's distributions of GnuPG for Mac that are signed (like GPG Tools). I tested using pinentry-mac from GPG Tools and was able to fill my passphrase using Universal Autofill.

Let me know how you get on with that!

Jack

• citrusmoose
    citrusmoose
    Community Member
    Options

That was it. I was using pinentry-mac from macports. Using GPG Tools instead fixed the problem. Thanks!

• You're very welcome @citrusmoose! Feel free to get in touch if there's anything else we can help you with.

Jack

This discussion has been closed.