Is Alfred safe?

Options
BobH
BobH
Community Member

Hi;
Alfred is an app on Mac which does all sorts of things - Looking up links, keeping a Clipboard history, Managing web bookmarks - as I said, all sorts. Spotlight Search on Steroids.

It also has a 1password integration. To set that up, it needs all details - username, secret key, password, etc.
Does that break security, or is it a known "Good Guy"?

Bob

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @BobH

In general — we're not in a position to evaluate the security of 3rd party utilities. That said, I do have some special knowledge about Alfred.

The way Alfred integrates with 1Password is by using our CLI (command line interface). This is a tool built by 1Password for the purpose of accessing 1Password data. When setting up the integration it is this CLI that you're prompted to enter your 1Password credentials into, not Alfred. We never recommend inputting your 1Password credentials into anything that isn't 1Password, but Alfred's integration doesn't ask you to do so.

I personally use Alfred, for what it's worth.

So, it isn't so much that Alfred is a "known 'good guy'" (though I have no reason to doubt that they are good folks) but rather they've built their integration in such a way that you don't have to input your 1Password credentials into anything other than 1Password.

Ben

• BobH
    BobH
    Community Member
    Options

Good News - Thanks @Ben - I wouldn't want to lose the excellent Alfred.

Regards
    Bob

• Dave_1P
    Options

@BobH

I'm happy that Ben was able to help. 😊

• BobH
    BobH
    Community Member
    Options

Me too, @Dave_1P . Thank you.

• You're very welcome. Feel free to get in touch if there's anything else we can help you with!

Jack

This discussion has been closed.