How to delete 1Password 7 after installing 1 Password 8? 1P7 won't delete...

toddnach
toddnach
Community Member

Hi all, I'm having some difficulty: after installing 1Password 8 when it was released I must not have deleted 1Password 7 properly at the time of installation and hence often find myself with two 1Passwords running at the same time. I removed the 1P7 menubar icon so i no longer inadvertently click on that version and open it up by mistake, but I'm still having the same issue. I perused the forms just now and find that all i ned to do is delete the 1P7 app from my applications folder. Seems easy enough, but each time i try that, i get a dialogue box telling me that the app is in use and as a result, can't be deleted. Yet the 1P7 app is not open and cannot be quit with the Force Quit menu. So how can I delete 1P7 if macOS won't let me?

Runing Monterey 12.4 on a 2019 MBP.
1P8 works just fine.

I also tried Command+Option+delete in the finder to delete 1P7 and i still get the same dialogue box.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

1Password Version: 1P8.7.3 & 1P7.9.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS12.4
Browser:_ Safari, Chrome, Firefox, Edge

Comments

• ag_tommy
    edited July 2022

@toddnach

• Your data is maintained outside of the app and will be completely safe. * Please be mindful to follow the steps below, especially the part about NOT using an app cleaner. They have been known to remove user's data, and we DO NOT want that to happen.
    1. Quit all open web browsers, especially Safari.
    2. Look for our helper in the menu bar near the WiFi indicator and the clock. Right-click on the 1Password 7 helper and select quit "1Password completely".
    • Note: 1Password 8's helper only uses the word "Quit".
    1. Drag 1Password 7 from the Applications folder to the Trash πŸ—‘ . Do not use an "app cleaner" or "uninstaller" tool to remove the app or additional files. If prompted, enter the password you use to sign in to your Mac.

That should get you going. Please let me know if you have any trouble.

• toddnach
    toddnach
    Community Member

My problem was that I couldn't delete 1P7. Each time I tried to delete the older app I got a dialogue box that said the app was in use and couldn't be deleted (even though it wasn't in use). Force quit didn't work as the app didn't show up, and dragging it to the trash or using any of the delete keyboard commands also brought up the same dialogue box.

The only thing that worked to allow me to manually delete the app was going to Activity Monitor and seeing that a tiny 1P7 process was still "active" using about .3% of CPU. I stopped that process in Activity Monitor. Only then was I able to manually delete 1P7 from my applications folder.

You should know this so you can add it to your help documents for people who wish to delete 1P7 and can't.

many thanks,

• @toddnach

In most cases, right-clicking on the 1Password 7 menubar icon and then clicking Quit 1Password Completely will fully stop the app so that it can then be moved to the Trash. It sounds like something went wrong on your Mac with the process and I apologize for the frustration.

Thank you for sharing what ended up helping in your case. πŸ™‚

• IdeaQueen
    IdeaQueen
    Community Member

I moved to the trash a number of times so I could retrieve it if necessary. about 8 versions in there. still didn't work. Sorry I probably doomed my self with Clean my Mac. yikes.

• Hi @IdeaQueen :

Just to clarify, are you attempting to remove the 1Password 7 for Mac app? If yes, can you see if the following steps work?

1. Open Finder, and from the menu bar click Go > Utilities.
    2. Open Activity Monitor and click the CPU tab.
    3. Search for "1Password"
    4. Select all matching processes with ⌘-A or Edit menu > Select All.
    5. Click the πŸ›‘ Stop button in the toolbar and Force Quit.
    6. When all the processes have stopped, try dragging the 1Password 7 for Mac app from your Applications folder to Trash.

Alvin

• toddnach
    toddnach
    Community Member

yes, Alvin, that's the process I described above, using Activity Monitor to delete the older 1P7 app. Which worked when nothing else did.

• IdeaQueen
    IdeaQueen
    Community Member

Thanks Alvin, I tried this. One of the items in Activity Monitor disappeared. Multiple attempt for the other 3 failed.

• @IdeaQueen

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble closing 1Password. Just to confirm: are you trying to uninstall 1Password 7 for Mac? If you are then I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

The report will be in zip format. Please send the entire file.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

This discussion has been closed.