Feature Request: Support for other Masked Email providers

Options
2»

Comments

• JoT
    JoT
    Community Member
    Options

No, I meant proton mail. Don't know what simplelogin is, but will check that out.
    If that's easier to integrate with, is included in protonmail and it allows masked passwords for protonmail, then sure. Whatever service name gets masked email to work with protonmail without requiring additional third party contract agreements and costs would suffice.

• TravelSD
    TravelSD
    Community Member
    Options

@JoT SimpleLogin is Proton's robust email aliasing service. I don't care for, nor use, Proton mail. SimpleLogin works with any email provider on the planet and does far, far more than Proton mail or most any other email provider.

• Hey @JoT,

I'm so sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

I have passed your feedback on to the team, please let us know if there is anything else we can help with in the meantime.

ref: PB33155516

• thedean
    thedean
    Community Member
    Options

Hello:

I'd like to add my vote of support for AnonAddy integration. I have recently migrated from SimpleLogin to AnonAddy and I love it. Even though ProtonMail is my email provider, and Proton has acquired SimpleLogin, I have seen no efforts on Proton's part to provide any integration with the product they own. I feel AnonAddy is much easier to use and it allows multiple options for generation of email names (random characters, random words, UUID, and even custom names).

I recently spoke with AnonAddy developer Will Browning, and he said he would be very interested in an integration with 1Password. He told me that Bitworden developed integration with AnonAddy all on their own, just using the AnonAddy open API. You can find documenation on the API here:https://app.anonaddy.com/docs.

You can also see how the Bitworden/AnonAddy integration works here: https://anonaddy.com/blog/bitwarden-adds-anonaddy-integration/

As a first step, I hope someone from 1Password can reach out to Will Browning at AnonAddy to at least start some discussions about how a possible integration could work. The API should make it pretty straight forward. You can reach Will Browning at contact@anonaddy.com.

Thanks for adding my voice to the chorus to provide email generation integration.

Dean

• TravelSD
    TravelSD
    Community Member
    Options

@thedean Seems like enhancing masked emails is super, super low on 1Password's priority list. As far as I can tell, the Fastmail support hasn't been enhanced since launch. And 1password hasn't added any more providers. SUPER disappointing. I understand 1Password maybe more enterprise focused these days and seems like consumer features are darn low on the product manager's priority list. Super disappointing.

• Dave_1P
    edited July 2023
    Options

@thedean

Thank you for the feedback! I've passed along your request that we build an integration for AnonAddy to our Product team.

-Dave

ref: PB-34261825

• venus
    venus
    Community Member
    Options

I'd like to second the request for other masked/unmasked email providers, ESPECIALLY ones not based in 5Eyes countries and who have stellar reputations for enhanced support for end-to-end encryption.

It's surprising and disappointing that 1PW, despite having a great reputation (in spite of its 5 Eyes country ops base) doesn't adequately support integrations with the most reputable paid encrypted email, encrypted voice call, encrypted text, email masking, and VPN providers.

Once that starts seriously happening, I can start moving my digitally-vulnerable friends & family members who I'm designated geek for onto higher-privacy/security services en masse.

• Hey @venus,

Thank you for your feedback, I have passed it on to the team.

ref: PB36891864

• lumpycustard
    lumpycustard
    Community Member
    edited December 2023
    Options

Adding my vote to this request. I use ProtonMail because I already make use of their other services and pay quite a bit of money for it -- Encrypted Storage, VPN, and Calendar. They recently released a password manager with the ability to automatically generate email aliases, however I'm a fan of 1Password and pay for a family plan. I want to continue using 1Password but idk how much longer I can hold out for before I just cancel my 1Password sub and move over to ProtonPass.

It's not a matter 1Password vs ProtonPass, it's just a matter of needing a particular feature and spending your money in the most efficient way possible. If Proton are not playing nicely and allowing your service to interact with theirs, then say so, so that we can vote with our wallets and put pressure on Proton.

Thanks.

• daver3k
    daver3k
    Community Member
    Options

@lumpycustard I am not privy to any inside information here and speak with no authority on 1Password or Proton's business agreements, but: I don't think it's an issue of Proton not playing nicely, but rather that it hasn't yet gotten to the top of the 1Password development team's to-do list. There is a popular open-source value-priced password manager that has support for masked email with many different providers including addy.io, SimpleLogin, DuckDuckGo, Firefox Relay, and Fastmail; I can't think of a reason Proton would allow other password managers to integrate with SimpleLogin but would deny 1Password, and of course that doesn't explain the lack of visible progress with the other above-named providers.

I'm really hopeful that we'll hear about some progress on this front. I understand and agree that it's not as important as passkeys, but it's such a nice improvement to my workflow and, more importantly, it makes masked email much more approachable for less-technical users.

• mcdaniel_isaac
    mcdaniel_isaac
    Community Member
    Options

Addy.io integration would be awesome

• @lumpycustard and @mcdaniel_isaac

Thank you for sharing your requests, I've passed them along to our Product team. They'll consider the requests when planning updates to future versions of 1Password. 🙂

-Dave

ref: PB-37513863
    ref: PB-37513900

• versteckt
    versteckt
    Community Member
    Options

Adding a vote for integration with SimpeLogin (and AnonAddy)

• Hey @versteckt,

I've passed your request on to the team, let us know if there's anything else we can help with.

ref: PB37778771

• l2d
    l2d
    Community Member
    edited January 17
    Options

I fully support @lumpycustard 's suggestion to integrate with Addy (AnonAddy) and SimpleLogin. Even though I'm a big fan of 1Password, Proton seems like an exciting option to explore.

• @l2d

Thank you, I've passed along your request to the team as well. 🙂

-Dave

ref: PB-37847949

• draxvint
    draxvint
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for this! I already using Addy. But I would recommend that 1password should create its own solution, I don't want to depend on a third party and worry that the service will stop then what will happen to my emails, and as a result, the possibility of using my own domain is essential to ensure more independence.

• Hey @draxvint,

Thank you for your feedback, I have passed your suggestion on to the team.

ref: PB38606158

• 2lateturd
    2lateturd
    Community Member
    Options

1Password has been my trusted companion for 15+ years, from Windows to mac, from manual syncing, to dropbox, to native syncing, from desktop to mobile, from licenses to subscription - I've been a loyal and happy user throughout the journey.

When the Fastmail integration came out (3 years ago), I didn't earn much and couldn't afford it, but assumed that more services would roll out and 1Password would obviously integrate with them too. For whatever reason, many great services have been developed, but 1Password has remained stagnant. I could afford Fastmail now, but why should that still be the only option?

When taking a step back and looking at the rest of the market and going back to 1Password's original USP (freeing the user to remember just one password, and usefully generating unique passwords for each service) it seems astonishing that the same functionality for email addresses isn't deemed a priority at 1P.

Looking at price, functionality, and the direction of the apps (electron on desktop feels like a regression), I no longer understand 1Password's USP, differntiation, nor a reason to stay.

I've happily paid for years and feel it's pretty insulting to only get back that "this has been passed on to the team". I've already been prompted to look elsewhere and won't be staying, but I thought it important to make you aware that happy, long-term customers aren't just going to stay around forever, especially if things aren't moving forward and they're paying an increasing on-going subscription with no real signs of progression.

• 2lateturd
    2lateturd
    Community Member
    Options

P.S. Just to head off something: Passkeys are cool and all, but what percentage of websites currently support them? If I want to retain my privacy right now on the vast majority of websites, passkey support isn't helpful or relevant.

1Password evidently understands the benefits of masked email (given the Fastmail integration), but it's bizarre that Fastmail has a monopoly as the only supported provider. This isn't the case with the rest of the market and the messaging I've read here isn't transparent and comes across as user hostile, or at the very least avoidant.

• ag_tommy
    Options

@2lateturd

We here in the community can only pass along your feedback to the products team. From there they make the choice on a myriad of factors. Our posts are a way to let you know your thoughts were seen and acted upon, as in getting them before the products team. We have no direct control about the next features to be worked on and are only the middle people in this exchange.

If you like, think of us as the browser extension. We happily go about gathering data and helping save it. The products team is more like the desktop application or the curator of the data. It can take the data that you saved, add tags, and move things between vaults, among other things.

If we ignored every mention and never replied we'd have folks here everyday concerned that they were not heard. You are heard. This is evident in the posting. It just a quick way to let you know you were seen and we acted upon your post nothing more.