Item history in 1Password apps

Hi,
I've seen in the 8.x versions of the app that you can access the password history in items. Will we also see full item history? I'm asking because I recently changed the email address of a login item and needed to see the old address (which was a masked email). I had to use the Web client to see the full item history, which was a bit inconvenient (no hate towards the web client though ;) )

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @Manaburner,

Will we also see full item history?

That's a great question and I also asked for this same support myself.

Just to clarify, most of the 1Password 7 apps had the ability to view previous passwords as well in Logins and Passwords, it was actually more standardized and consistent in 1Password 8 apps.

At the moment, it is something we want to do for the future but that's all we can say. I'll add your vote to our list.

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member

Just to clarify, most of the 1Password 7 apps had the ability to view previous passwords as well in Logins and Passwords

You're absolutely right. I've been using 1P v8 for so long now that I forgot how it was in v7 ^^

Looking forward to finally seing this in a future version

• It's always a pleasure talking with you @Manaburner

++ for that future version.

• dgbeecher
    dgbeecher
    Community Member

Wow, I had no idea that this feature had been removed until today, when I encountered the not-uncommon situation where a password change did not "stick", but I had already saved the new password in 1Password. I fully expected to be able to find the old password in 1Password and am disappointed that this is no longer possible. Seems I can log onto the 1Password website to find it? Not something I want to do. I just don't have time to deal with this right now, and am honestly going to just forget I ever had an account at the website in question. Please bring back this functionality. I'm super disappointed that it is gone. Also, seems its removal should have been announced somehow, because the consequences of needing it and not having it are pretty substantial.

• RogueScholar
    RogueScholar
    Community Member

While this topic is being discussed, I'd actually like to call attention to a closely-related but different shortcoming that's bitten me twice in as many weeks. Namely, it'd be a really massive intermediate step if you were to enable entry history on all password fields in items, and not just the primary field that's present when creating a new item. I'd actually take it one step further and practically implore you to activate entry history for all password and TOTP fields regardless of whether they're system or user created, be there two such fields or twenty. Those are by definition the datums that, if we're doing our personal infosec right, we'll have vanishingly miniscule hope of having any memory of or ability to infer.

I often find myself creating second and third password fields to manage things like credentials with elevated permissions or "In Case of Emergency, Break Glass" API keys/secrets that I want to maintain some kind of record of, but that aren't significant enough to warrant a separate API Credential item for in the Vault. I've had the misfortune of changing a couple of those auxiliary passwords lately that appeared successful but later proved not to be, and I think it just makes sense, not just from a functionality angle but also as regards the UI; the first time it happened I looked every bit the part of the simian trying to fornicate with the football as I hadn't ever considered that the automatic password field in items would be any different from those I added later myself.

That said, please record my concurrence with the OP that the apps should provide access to full histories for all fields, as well as the ability to erase those entries individually or en masse per field.

• rcmike
    rcmike
    Community Member

Please add another proxy vote for supporting password histories in the app. Here is an example use case for needing this:

Example:
    To change a password on a site, you frequently need to enter your old password before entering a new one. So, you go to 1Password, copy and paste the old password to the web site, then go back into 1Password, generate a new password, copy and paste it into the appropriate fields on the website. If there is an issue such as the password being too long or not meeting the security requirements, then you have to try again. However, at this point the old password is gone from 1Password so you cannot change it on the site unless you request a password reset and the password history is not available in the app especially if the password was created in a previous version of 1Password.

Honestly, this is a use case which should have been covered since it as been available for years in previous versions.

• dgbeecher
    dgbeecher
    Community Member

I agree with all the above.

With previous versions of 1Password, I always felt like the app had my back. It was there for me, even if websites reject my new password for unreasonable or unstated requirements, or crashed right when they were supposed to save my new password. In these situations, the old 1Password could always be trusted to hold onto my old password, so I'd never be stuck having to initiate a password reset. But now, all of a sudden and with no warning, 1Password 8 has removed this key feature. It feels like an abandonment. 1Password no longer has my back. I can't trust it. That's a shame.

• Kakkoister2
    Kakkoister2
    Community Member

@dgbeecher You can view the password history for any item in the desktop app, where you've changed the password so far. What I would suggest when doing a password change when needed, first make the new password, save it, then copy the old password from the password history.

• dgbeecher
    dgbeecher
    Community Member

That’s what I did in 1Password 7 … but I do not see password history in 1Password 8. Isn’t that the point of this thread? Or is the history actually there and I’m just looking in the wrong place? That would be good news if true!

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member

@dgbeecher, it's there. Select the item you want to consult the history for. Use the dropdown menu on the right of the Password field and the Password History command is right there. I'll have to admit I didn't find it immediately, so I understand your question (and of course, now that I know where the command is it makes perfect sense to me :-> ).

Corentin

• dgbeecher
    dgbeecher
    Community Member

Oh, there it is! Thank you for showing me this. That is indeed a sensible place to find it, and now that I know it's there I'm surprised I didn't find it before. Great!

• I am glad to hear Cortig could help. Appreciate that assist Cortig. 🙂

This discussion has been closed.