Case insensitive tags

Options
TinaSoprano
TinaSoprano
Community Member

I wish tags were case insensitive. For example, I made an "Insurance" tag, but now I see that I tagged some items with "insurance" which is a different tag because of case sensitivity. This is a pain.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @TinaSoprano,

I understand how this could be useful and dislike seeing duplicate tags just as much as the next person! I've shared your feedback with the team and while I can't make any promises, I do appreciate you taking the time to share your specific use case.

ref: IDEA-I-1235

• dChip
    dChip
    Community Member
    Options

Same issue here, case sensitive tags make no sense, as it only leads to duplicates... If you think there is a case for that, just add a setting in the advance settings. But by default, I suggest you should have it case insensitive. And when set to case insensitive just allow for people to rename, and choose some letters as capitals as desired for making it easier to read...

I have another suggestion regarding password generation. Please also allow us to create predefined subsets of special characters to use. But make it as selectable alternate sub-options for special characters so we can still choose the default or a different subset quickly. The reason for this is that some websites don't allow certain special characters... or only allow a limited selection. Cheers!

• dChip
    dChip
    Community Member
    Options

Oh, and please create some batch editing options like being able to add/remove tags for a selection of logins at once.

• dChip
    dChip
    Community Member
    Options

Also, the tags are sorted is weird with no way to change that. It's not alphabetical, as tags with lower case and upper case are not presented together. Which would be desirable. Best to add sorting for tags - alphabetical, last modified, date created, ..

• dChip
    dChip
    Community Member
    edited January 2023
    Options

BTW I see that that was requested by many since 2017 at least, that's not giving me a lot of hope here.... hmm

• dChip
    dChip
    Community Member
    edited January 2023
    Options

TIPS: for those dealing with this same issue, I've figured out a quicker way to deal with duplicates is to just rename the tag instead of editing logins one by one...

Still hard to figure out what is duplicated since the tags are not sorted out alphabetically regardless of case.

• Hi @dChip,

Thanks for all this feedback. I'll record these and share them with our Product team for further consideration. I can't make any promises but I appreciate you taking the time to let us know these are important to you.

Regarding batch editing tags, I do want to highlight that you can select multiple items by holding shift or command and then dragging those items onto a tag in the sidebar to assign it. I recognize this only applies to adding tags but hopefully it can reduce some friction in the meantime.

If you haven't already, I also encourage you to explore the "Smart Password" option when generating passwords. If a website has provided password rules in how its built, this option will detect that and use those parameters to generate an acceptable password:

Let me know if you have any questions and thanks again for sharing your thoughts!

ref: PB-30640456
    ref: PB-30640571
    ref: PB-30640813
    ref: PB-30640950
    ref: PB-30641067

• dChip
    dChip
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the tips.

• Happy to help! 🙂

• Netpog
    Netpog
    Community Member
    Options

@andrew.l_1P , I love Smart Password! I'm regularly having to adjust settings to fit site-specific requirements.(*)

Is this coming to 1Pwd for Windows?

Also, while case-insensitive tags makes perfect sense to ME, I'm sure that if you make this change you'll hear from angry Linux users and others who expect case sensitivity, and have become reliant upon it in their 1Password tagging habits.

So, I urge you to MAKE INSENSITIVITY AN OPTION if you enable it at all.

(*) My favorite are the sites that accept 24-character passwords, but then reject your login unless you use exactly the first 15 of those characters! But I don't expect you to detect THOSE idjits!

• Hi @Netpog,

The Smart Password type is part of the 1Password browser extension, if you're not seeing it in the password generator there, could you tell me which browser you're using?

I appreciate your insight about capitalization in tags as well! I've never come across a website like the one you describe, a part of me hopes I never do. 😄

• Netpog
    Netpog
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, @andrew.l_1P. To each of the issues:

Smart Password:
    I don't think I've ever seen it offered, only the "use suggested password" option.

But I could be wrong. Have you a test website or two that I can try?
    (I'm using Microsoft Edge, Version 109.0.1518.70 (Official build) (64-bit), on stock Windows 10 Pro.)

Capitalization:
    I've spent enough time with hardcore Linux types (and Unix types, because I'm old) to appreciate how passionate they can get about "the right way"! And in that world, case sensitivity is one their few universal norms.

Password policies:

• It's TransUnion that truncates the password to 15 characters, AFTER accepting a longer one.
    • Another fun one: The IRS payment site (eftps.com) which will reject doubled letters.
    • The most stupid password rules ever have been collected by Pershing bank, who enforces them all. Some of their services (at least) insist on passwords of exactly 8 characters. (Because it's the early 1980s, I guess.)
    • SSA.gov used to insist on exactly 8-character passwords, but maybe they got over it?
  • clarino
    clarino
    Community Member
    Options

Netpog, I don't know about previous behavior but I have a 15-char password on ssa.gov and it works just fine.

• Hi @Netpog,

You can find the "Smart Password" type within the password generator itself:

Selecting it from the Type dropdown list will automatically set it to your default suggestion type. Though keep in mind we'll still be at the mercy of how each website is built and whether they include their password rules in that process.

And I'm glad to hear there's some light at the end of the tunnel, thanks @clarino! 🙂

• Netpog
    Netpog
    Community Member
    Options

YES, @andrew.l_1P, and thanks for the directions: I see it right there in the browser extension. (And, FWIW, "Smart Password" was already the default.) I do **NOT **see it in the app, however.

(I'm running 1Password for Windows 8.10.1 (81001002) on nightly channel.)

• Hi @Netpog,

Excellent, glad to hear it's appearing in the browser extension! Since this feature depends on password rules provided by a website, it's by design that it isn't part of the 1Password desktop apps. 😊

This discussion has been closed.