Integration between Linux app and Snap Firefox

2»

Comments

• wimvmourik
    wimvmourik
    Community Member

I am about to/trying to move from Kubuntu 22.04 to 24.04.1 (which came out yesterday).
    The release upgrade script is telling me that only Firefox via Snap shall be an option; I am not given a choice to keep the .deb as installation option.
    Since the upgrade failed and I had to rollback (thanks snapshots!), I cannot yet check whether I could still manually switch back from the snap to a .deb installation, after the upgrade.
    The point being; Ubuntu is pushing snaps more agressively; please explain where we stand regarding the integration between the browser plugin and the local installation.

• adfhogan
    adfhogan
    Community Member

There are multiple threads..

• There are still .debs available from other places other than Ubuntu themselves.
    • You can remove the snap and their deb that installs the snap, and switch to third party debs (like Mozilla) if you like
    • 1Password still doesn't have snap integration, as the way they verify the invoking browser process doesn't support snaps due to the way they sandbox
    • If you use the snap version, you can use browser plugin standalone. It won't integrate with local instance of 1Password, but still works.