Please deploy 1P8 to App Store

Options
gussic
gussic
Community Member

Hi there,

I had a bit of a search (admittedly it may have been a boy look) but I can't seem to find the reasoning behind not releasing 1Password 8 in the macOS App Store. I get some people will probably disagree with this, but having it on the App Store was such a useful feature for less technically inclined people (which i think 1P generally is good for). A lot of them don't want to have to go to an external website to download 1P, and some of them having grown up only ever using iPhones (or Android) and being used to an App Store style deployment system - it just makes sense.

Is it possible that someone from the 1P team can maybe elaborate/explain the reasoning behind not deploying to the macOS App Store? (& to a lesser extent the Windows Store?) - it just seems such a waste. The updates functionally of the App Store makes it so easy for those who aren't confident.

Cheers

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12.5
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• cavenewt
    cavenewt
    Community Member
    Options

I have this question also. I've been using 1Password since the very beginning, and for a long time only used the Agile store version. Finally broke down with v7 and got the App Store version. Now I see I have to go back to the Agile store. This is very confusing – and I am a computer consultant!

• Hello @gussic and @cavenewt! 👋

As you both mentioned, 1Password 8 for Mac isn't currently available in the Mac App Store. Instead, you can download the app directly through our website:

Once 1Password 8 is installed from our website the new built-in updater will make sure that 1Password is automatically updated moving forward.

That being said, I do hear your feedback and I've passed it along to our product team. 🙂

ref: IDEA-I-870

• MGDominguez
    MGDominguez
    Community Member
    Options

Having it in the Mac App Store was very convenient for those of us who are still used to doing clean installs on every major macOS release (x.1, of course, never x.0). Most of my apps are there, so after I clean install I just went to the Mac App Store and downloaded away.

I guess with all the constraints and whatnot that Apple places in developers, not many see it as worth the trouble anymore, which is a bit disappointing. I've seen a few old guard Mac apps shun the App Store.

For now it doesn't matter much since I'm still on V7, but when I eventually update to v8 I'll add it to my list of apps I have to go and hunt down an installer. It's kinda funny that they are enterprise apps that I have to use and don't really want to, 1Password doesn't belong there 🙂

• scottcar
    scottcar
    Community Member
    Options

There are some of us that have our macs locked by the companies we work in (i.e. we're not the administrator on the mac) and therefore can't load stuff that's not in the app store. For those of us, we're locked out of 1P8 which is sad and disappointing. Please consider putting it back in the app store.

• Thank you for the feedback!

1Password 8 isn't currently in the Mac App Store but we're keeping the door open to the idea. If you're interested in staying looped in to our progress in this area then you can subscribe for updates using this form: https://1password.com/mac-app-store-subscribe/

-Dave

• robinwhittleton
    robinwhittleton
    Community Member
    edited January 2023
    Options

I’m interested in staying looped in to your progress, and signed up on that form within a week of you putting it live, but I’m yet to receive a single one of the updates. Have you sent out any to people who’ve signed up there yet?

• @robinwhittleton

I don't believe that we've sent any updates yet. 🙂

-Dave

• limex
    limex
    Community Member
    Options

Please, put the Version 8 to the AppStore! My company only allows Installs from the App Store.
    Thanks in Advance!

• 1PW8notuserfriendly
    1PW8notuserfriendly
    Community Member
    edited March 2023
    Options

They used to listen to customers. Suppose it is time to move on.

• Thank you for voicing your feedback. 1Password 8 isn't currently in the Mac App Store but we're keeping the door open to the idea. I recommend subscribing to our dedicated newsletter for any updates in the future: Updates about Mac App Store availability

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.