Upgrading from v7 to v8 - what might I regret?

srothman
srothman
Community Member
edited January 2023 in Lounge

There are lots of articles encouraging us to upgrade from 7 to 8, and the new features sound great.

I'm a v7 user (iOS/Safari, Mac/Chrome, and Windows/Chrome), and I guess I'd love to see a summary of what I might "miss" about v7 if I upgrade, so I can feel braver about upgrading.

I think I can find the list of "new features" for 8. Is there a corresponding list of features for v7 that might be lost? Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• mikeindc
    mikeindc
    Community Member

I regret updating. In trying to add new features, it is a confusing mess. I am going to give it a bit more of a trial but based on my experience so far I will not be renewing my membership.

• whoa11
    whoa11
    Community Member

1P8 doesn't have the option for vertical drop down for PW suggestions on the android app. Its showing everything in horizontal above the keyboard which can only display 2 or 3 suggestions as opposed to vertical which can obviously display a lot lot more

• Mr. K.
    Mr. K.
    Community Member

Logging my wife in on her phone was horrible. I kept trying with her credentials but it would not take. I tried with my credentials, that did not take. I can't tell you why, but it finally accepted a login. That made me wonder who was logged in on her phone me or her? No way to see who is logged in.

As far as the interface, I think that is just a matter of getting use to the differences. I think it will be fine.

• @Mr. K.

To see who is logged in tap setup another device in the sidebar. From here you can see the signed in account information.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

One thing you'll lose is seeing totals next to each category; for example in version 7 I could see I have 400 logins saved, or how many cards etc, just at a quick glance. Now it's gone.

Might want to consider that as a feature request guys...

• drneutrino
    drneutrino
    Community Member

DUQFACP - Dumb User Questions From A Cloud Paranoid and 1PW user since V3 or was it V4?
    I now have a family subscription which we've been very happy with and successfully trained two teenagers on the merits of 1PW years ago. I now spend my time helping 70+ seniors transition their lives to 1PW because they can't even find their car keys. Nobody in my immediate 1PW family has ever been hacked, anywhere, successfully using Everyone has multiple MAC/IOs devices and one has a homebuilt super gaming system and dabbles in Linux elsewhere We use the dropbox model of synching because of MSFT mix and yes I know Dropbox is in the cloud.

Questions on moving from 1PW 7 to 8 (Family subscription model)
    1. Do ALL members have to upgrade to 1PW8 at the same time?
    2. If not, what is the impact of one or more staying on 1PW7 if any?
    3. Should the "organizer" do the upgrade first or doesn't it matter?
    4. If it does matter is there some stepped plan to do so? eg: wait for vaults to be uploaded to 1PW cloud before others do so.
    5. I'm assuming the Vaults are kept on 1PW Cloud servers? Can one safely and easily download each of these locally as a backup? Is this advisable or is this frowned upon?
    6. If we have mixed 1PW7 and 1PW8 will this impact storing, modifying, or synching of items if some are in CLOUD and others DROPBOX?
    7. Is there any way to go back to 1PW7 in case we are dissatisfied with 1PW8?
    8. Off topic: have you allowed for user-defined categories yet? Will this ever be a thing?
    9. Where can I see a list of current gotchas, bugs, and/or anomalies?

This being a MAJOR release my 55+ years of programming and/or daily computer usage leads me to believe that rolling this out even after an extensive beta, you need a bit more tech schmoozing than marketing to make people comfortable with this change. It's one thing to raise a FUBAR panic for some on a WP, Spreadsheet, or DB program but this program holds the keys to our very souls. I'd like some answers before I take this kind of leap.

• Mr. K.
    Mr. K.
    Community Member

@ag_tommy. Thanks for that info, and that dies show who is logged in. Sadly, I have been communicating with 1Password support by email for the past week trying to get this answer. I've had emails from Meg A., Rachael D-C, Linda Murphy, Elly Watson, and Marcus H.. None of them know the answer to the simple question of how do I see who is logged in.

• srothman
    srothman
    Community Member

thanks everyone. I posted my comment and didn't realize there'd been any responses, I never got a notification. Just discovered that you all had responded. thanks again.

• srothman
    srothman
    Community Member

Follow-up - I upgraded a couple months ago from 7 to 8. Based on how I use 1Password - no problem at all.

• That's great to here @srothman. Thanks for sharing your experience. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.