1Password 8 Safari Extension on iOS

Options
patrickl
patrickl
Community Member

I installed 1P8 earlier on my iPhone and am slightly perturbed by the messages from Apple about the data and the accesses that it suggests the 1P8 extension can access. It says that the app can access, read and alter every web page visited and see all browsing history.
Should I say yes to this - for all websites and forever? This seems
I don't remember seeing anything like this with the 1P7 browser extension
Thanks
Patrick

1Password Version: 8.9.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS15.6
Browser:_ Safari

Comments

• Hi @patrickl:

Great question, and good to see that you're taking a second to think about the implications of this. The short version is that 1Password for Safari needs the ability to alter the page you're on to fill, and see all browsing history in order to determine what page to fill. 1Password in the browser doesn't collect or use your browsing history or the contents of your pages in any way, other than to detect and fill.

For 1Password for Safari, allowing all websites and forever would be your best bet.

About 1Password browser permissions

Jack

• patrickl
    patrickl
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks.
    So I assume then that if I don't allow access here, then 1PW will not allow me to autofill or suggest logins. I don't remember being presented with these words on the IP7 version or I may have commented then

Patrick

• Hey @patrickl:

1Password for Safari is slightly different than Password AutoFill. 1Password for Safari is the same extension available on the desktop, right in Safari. This allows you to fill credit cards as well as other items. Disabling 1Password for Safari won't prevent Password AutoFill from working. Password AutoFill is for other web browsers, as well as in apps.

Jack

• patrickl
    patrickl
    Community Member
    Options

Hi
    So are you saying that 1P7 had Password AutoFill whereas 1P8 has 1Password for Safari but that if I disable the extension in Settings I will still be able to use Password AutoFill functionality to fill passwords? Will this be as I did it in 1P7?
    I understand from your reply that credit card filling wouldn’t work however
    Thanks
    Patrick

• @patrickl

As of September 2021, 1Password 7 for iOS has included the 1Password for Safari web extension and you would have been presented with the same permission prompt if you were using 1Password for Safari with 1Password 7. As Jack mentioned, 1Password for Safari on iOS functions in the same way that 1Password in the browser on desktop browsers does in regards to browser permissions. The 1Password extension requires access to your browsing history in order to know which website you're visiting so that it knows which login item to suggest.

You can certainly use Password AutoFill with 1Password 8. Follow these steps:

1. On the Home screen of your iPhone, tap Settings.
    2. Tap Passwords > AutoFill Passwords.
    3. Turn on AutoFill Passwords.
    4. Select 1Password.

Then try to fill your login using this guide: Use 1Password to fill and save on your iPhone and iPad

I hope that helps. 😊

• patrickl
    patrickl
    Community Member
    Options

Hi
    Thanks for this.
    Another question - 1P8 AutoFill settings allows me to ‘show filling suggestions from’ accounts/collections. Should I be able to change this? It currently shows a single account - rather than ‘All Accounts’ as your guide suggests and I cannot change it or view my options
    Thanks
    Patrick

This discussion has been closed.