Quick Access does not work after quitting 1Password.

domdtyler
domdtyler
Community Member

Hi! I have run into an issue where pressing the Quick Access shortcut does not work after quitting 1Password. It also does not remain in the Menu Bar. I have checked that the relevant setting is selected, and that the shortcut is defined. If I have the 1Password app open, Quick Access does appear using that shortcut, and 1Password shows up in the Menu Bar. I have also confirmed that 1Password has Accessibility access. To clarify, this is about the universal Quick Access bar, not the Safari extension.

Any advice on how to resolve this would be greatly appreciated! I'm running 1Password 8.8.0 (80800203, on PRODUCTION channel).

1Password Version: 8.8.0
Extension Version: 2.3.7
OS Version: macOS 12.5
Browser:_ Safari

Comments

• domdtyler
    domdtyler
    Community Member

I believe I have actually resolved this - it looks like another app (commandQ) was causing the problem. This app creates a delay before quitting an app, and when I add 1Password to that app's ignore list, Quick Access works correctly. I will reach out to their developers to understand more.

• Hi @domdtyler,

Appreciate the update! Let us know what you find, or if there's anything we can do to help. 🙂

• jdenormandie
    jdenormandie
    Community Member

I'm having a similar problem but I don't have commandQ installed. If 1Password is locked or quit, the Show Quick Access shortcut doesn't work. I did not have this problem until upgrading to 1Password 8. With 1Password 7, the Show Quick Access shortcut would prompt me to input my account password or Touch ID and then it would open.

• @jdenormandie

I'm sorry that "Show Quick Access" isn't working for you. Can you confirm that you have Shift-Command-Space bar set as the "Show Quick Access" shortcut and that this is the shortcut that you're using? You can find the shortcut here:

1. Open and unlock 1Password for Mac.
    2. Click on 1Password next to the  in the menu bar.
    3. Click on Preferences and then click on General.

Quick Access is a feature that is new to 1Password 8, can you clarify which shortcut you were using with 1Password 7 and what happened when you pressed that shortcut when 1Password 7 was installed?

-Dave

• jdenormandie
    jdenormandie
    Community Member

I was using option-command-\ as my quick access shortcut, but changed it to shift-command-spacebar to see if it would make a difference. It did not.

I have discovered that once I put 1Password in the menu bar then the shortcut will work, but I prefer to keep my menu bar minimalistic. I don't need the menu bar icon if I am using the shortcut.

• @jdenormandie

If you'd prefer not to have 1Password in the menu bar, but still be able to use Quick Access, you can turn off "Keep 1Password in the menu bar", then either:

• close the main window of 1Password by clicking the 🔴 close button in the top-left corner of the window, or pressing ⌘W (Command–W).
    • hide 1Password by clicking the 1Password menu > Hide 1Password, or pressing ⌘H (Command–H).

As long as 1Password is running somehow somewhere, Quick Access will be available. As long as you don't Quit 1Password from the menu bar or by pressing ⌘Q (Command–Q), Quick Access will still work.

Give those a try to see what works best and let me know if you have any trouble. :)

• jdenormandie
    jdenormandie
    Community Member

That works for a little while, but after some time the QA shortcut stops working. Like, it was working yesterday but this morning it's not. Could it timeout somehow?

Looking at Activity Monitor, I currently have 1Password Safari Web Extension and 1Password Browser Helper running, but the QA shortcut does nothing. Note, the 1P Safari Web Extension is showing locked status. My expectation is that by invoking the QA shortcut, I would get the prompt to unlock it.

And now that I've unlocked the 1P Safari Web Extension, there are 4 more 1P processes running in Activity Monitor, including the 1Password app itself, which was not there before. And the QA shortcut is back to working.

This discussion has been closed.