No option to use Touch ID on Magic Keyboard while Mac is in clamshell mode

wpchen
wpchen
Community Member
edited August 2022 in Mac

I'm running 1Password 8 on my M1 MacBook Pro in clamshell mode (lid closed, connected to external display) with an Apple Magic Keyboard w/ Touch ID (https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK293LL/A/magic-keyboard-with-touch-id-for-mac-models-with-apple-silicon-us-english). With the lid closed, the 1Password UI prompts me to "Enter your password" with the right arrow icon in place of where the fingerprint icon usually is. The moment I lift the laptop lid, the right arrow turns into the expected fingerprint icon. I would very much like to be able to unlock 1Password using Touch ID on my external keyboard while my laptop is in clamshell mode. This was possible before I upgraded (from 1Password 7) to 1Password 8 today.

Some notes in my search for a solution:

1. Searching the forums, this was previously a problem in 1Password7 but was fixed by @ag_tommy: https://1password.community/discussion/122345/1password-does-not-recognize-fingerprint-reader-in-magic-keyboard-with-touch-id-on-m1-macbook-pro

2. If I go to System Preferences > Touch ID with lid open, all 4 settings (Unlocking your Mac, Apple Pay, iTunes Store..., Password AutoFill) are checked. If I then close the lid, and re-enter System Preferences > Touch ID, the "iTunes Store, App Store & Apple Books" box is unchecked. And, if I try to check the iTunes box while lid remains closed, the check mark doesn't persist. If I check Console, there is the below error "AMSBiometrics [E326149C] Failed to determine Biometric Type: Error Domain=com.apple.LocalAuthentication Code=-4 "Touch ID is not available in closed clamshell mode." UserInfo={NSDebugDescription=Touch ID is not available in closed clamshell mode., NSLocalizedDescription=Authentication canceled.}"

3. Googling "touch ID clamshell mode" returns a bunch of articles that suggest it's by design Apple disables Touch ID for Apple Pay when laptop is in clamshell mode. ex: https://www.idownloadblog.com/2021/11/11/apple-pay-touch-id-clamshell-mode/. (But non-Apple-Pay Touch ID should still work in clamshell mode, as I was able to unlock 1Password 7 just fine before upgrading.)

1Password Version: 8.8.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12.5.1
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• wpchen
    wpchen
    Community Member

Update: I noticed that even Mac OS's native lock/login screen was not giving me the option to use Touch ID whenever the lid was closed. This made me think it's not a 1Password issue. I was able to fix the problem (both on the Mac OS login screen and the 1Password unlock screen) by connecting my Magic Keyboard to my laptop via lightening cable, turning the Magic keyboard off and then on, and then disconnecting the cable. I have no idea why that worked.

• @wpchen

I have had a few reports of the lightning cable fixing connectivity issues. I've even used it myself after a user described it to me. I'm happy to hear it worked for you too.

• misko
    misko
    Community Member

Had the same issue and described fix worked for me too.

• @misko

I'm happy to hear that you were able to resolve the issue. 🙂

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.