Copying account icons in version 8?

Options
sixtdb
sixtdb
Community Member

In 1Password7 you could edit an account, select the account icon, press CtrlC to copy, then go to another account, select edit, then the icon and CtrlV to paste the same icon before pressing save - Version 8 you cannot do this anymore! Why? How? This is another element that has stopped me using Version 8 and reverting to version 7.

1Password Version: 8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mac OS 12.5.1
Browser:_ Safari

Comments

• Hi @sixtdb,

Thanks for your feedback on the topic, I've shared your thoughts with the team. I can't make any promises but I appreciate you letting us know this is an important feature for you. πŸ™‚

ref: IDEA-I-1615

• Wade M
    Wade M
    Community Member
    Options

Just seconding this - the loss of copy / paste of custom icons is a medium annoyance. Having to use the Choose new icon menu, then a file open dialog and navigate all the way to the item when it's already visible in the finder window right next to my 1Password window is a time waste and cognitive load. And also having to prep an image for use, rather than just copying an image from an open webpage/document/app window, I have to download the file, resize it, then navigate via a file open dialog. For reference I'm using this for software licences and hardware serial numbers (custom icon of device)

• @Wade M

Thank you for the feedback. I've shared it with our product team as well. πŸ™‚

-Dave

• sixtdb
    sixtdb
    Community Member
    Options

Following up this feature request. Actually it's not strictly a feature request as it is a feature that has been taken away from 1Password7 update to 1Password 8!! The inability to copy and paste an icon from one entry to a new one is fundamentally a problem. Bank accounts, default icon - $. I live in the UK where Β£ is used and as a family living across Europe then a € is also required. Software Licences are easier to navigate with the software icon, but really do I have time to edit a logo to the right dimensions and file type, then save it somewhere to be looked for each time I need to 'choose a new icon"? This might seem like a minor issue but it isn't - it takes a lot of time out of the day when you are busy just trying to get on. Until this feature is re-instated, I and many others will have to continue to use 1Password7. I want to use 1Password8 but it is too frustrating and time consuming. I am already suffering from anxiety and mild depression and this issue just continues to raise my levels. Please address ASAP

• Thanks for sharing your thoughts sixdb I'll pass them over to the team. I'm sorry this is not something that has bubbled up.

• sixtdb
    sixtdb
    Community Member
    Options

Are we any closer to being able to copy and paste icons in V8 as we could in V7? This is still a very frustrating and time consuming issue. As mentioned back in 2022, icons with $ cannot be changed easily to Β£ or €. Still having to run V7 for editing icons???

• Dave_1P
    Options

@sixtdb

Thank you for following up. I don't have anything new to announce right now.

If you're regularly needing to create new Bank Account items and then having to replace the default icon then, as a workaround for now, I suggest that you create and save an empty "Bank Account" item that doesn't contain any information but that does include the icon that you wish to use. This empty item can be used as a template and then, when you need to create a new Bank Account item, you can duplicate the template and have a new item with the icon that you prefer. This would save you from having to edit the icon each time.

I hope that helps!

-Dave

ref: PB-31082756
    ref: PB-33383487

• skippingrock
    skippingrock
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P
    I'm still using 1P7 for this and other reasons. The look and behaviour of the UI for another. Am I able to select text and use Apple's built in Transformations, Substitutions, Speech and Apple's Spell Checking and Grammar system (with my own dictionaries) yet when you right-click on the text yet?

But what is so hard about clicking on an image and cmd-c copying it? Like this has been a feature of Apple's Finder for icons since, what? System 5? What's so difficult that we can't do this now in 2023?

• Dave_1P
    Options

@skippingrock

Thank you for the feedback! Here are the options that are currently available when you click on a misspelled word in 1Password 8:

I've let the team know that you'd also like to see the ability to copy and paste custom icons across different items return to 1Password for Mac. πŸ™‚

-Dave

ref: 33827072

• jhkoning
    jhkoning
    Community Member
    Options

hi there, any updates on the copy / paste icons in version 8? is there a workaround in the interim?

• @jhkoning

I don't have any updates to share, I've let the Product team know that you'd also like to see this feature added to 1Password 8 in the future.

I posted a workaround earlier in the thread here: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/687593/#Comment_687593

Thank you for the feedback! πŸ™‚

-Dave

ref: 34602133

• bwofford
    bwofford
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P

Looks like this is yet another tradeoff of the "new" 1Password. I get that you have to follow Apple's lead toward an ecosystem that blends the operating systems (MacOS and iOS) thus requiring the move to an entirely different programming language. I think most people would also realize this is a monumental task to essentially start from scratch. And that, along the way, lots of value judgements must be made. Including abandonment of certain features thought to be secondary or perhaps unessential.

I think it's great that you're interacting directly with the user community and I wish more business leaders would pay closer attention to feedback from their customers. My concern is that your responses merely indicate you are letting the product team know about this feedback. I would have thought as the founder of Anglebits, any employee, including members of a product team, ultimately report to you. I'm now wondering if you've outsourced the development thus limiting your ability to commit to delivering on a request. Or at least offering a response more definitive than merely passing on information.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

I would have thought as the founder of Anglebits

Maybe you're mixing up @Dave_1P (support) and @dteare (founder)?

• Yep, they are two different folks. Sorry if that confused you. As @Dave_1P mentioned we file all feedback with the team where it is curated and considered for potential inclusion in the future.

As for myself, I for one hope this is something we can bring back. It sure would have made my life a little easier this weekend as I added custom icons to a lot of my Secure Notes.

• baggend
    baggend
    Community Member
    Options

Just chiming in that I really miss this feature as well. Having to manually find the favico for a site, download it, edit the item in 1P, click the dropdown, and hunt for the filename is just so slow compared to just being able to ⌘C ⌘V in 1P 7.