how to remove duplicate items in v8.8.0?

alysynn
alysynn
Community Member

Every item in my personal vault is duplicated - logins, secure notes, EVERYTHING - on my iPhone and my MacBook.

I have had these duplicate items since I added 1password 7 (maybe v6) to my iPhone and selected to import all vaults from my MacBook pro. The iPhone immediately had duplicates, and the next time I opened it on my laptop, there were duplicates there. I have been able to "live with" this issue by selecting to view only the primary vault on each device. However, in 1password 8, all duplicate items show with no way to change this that I can find. I would really just like to remove all duplicate entries once and for all.

Thanks!

MacOS 12.5; 1Password v8.8.0 80800203; app, safari
iOS 15.6.1; iPassword v8.9.3 80903004; app

1Password Version: 8.8.0
Extension Version: 80800203
OS Version: macOS 12.5
Browser:_ safari
Referrer: forum-search:remove duplicate 8

Comments

• Hey @alysynn :

To resolve the duplicate items issue, here are the steps:

1. Install 1Password 7 from our website here: 1Password 7 for Mac.. Then open and unlock 1Password 7.
    2. Switch to your Personal (or Private) vault.
    3. Click the Help menu > Troubleshooting > Clean Up Duplicate Items.

Then, once the duplicates have been removed, delete the Primary vault:

1. Click the Vault menu > Switch to Vault > Primary.
    2. Then click the Vault menu > Delete Vault.

Once your Primary vault is deleted, you can then remove 1Password 7 with the following steps:

1. Quit all open web browsers.
    2. Open the main 1Password 7 app. Choose 1Password > Quit 1Password Completely from the menu bar.
    3. Drag 1Password from the Applications folder to the Trash. Do not use an "app cleaner" or "uninstaller" tool to remove the app or additional files. If prompted, enter the password you use to sign in to your Mac.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Alvin

• alysynn
    alysynn
    Community Member

Question: do I need to do anything on my iPhone before or after I follow the steps you outlined?

Thanks Alvin :)

• Hey @alysynn :

You're most welcome! You do not need to do anything on your iPhone. 🙂

Alvin

• Limabean
    Limabean
    Community Member

This thread was helpful to me. However, the location of the utility was different from what @Alvin.L_1P stated. I found it at

Help / Tools / Clean Up Duplicate Items

• Appreciate the clarification, @Limabean and I'm glad to hear this thread was helpful! If you have any questions in the future, you know where to find us. 🙂

• coopaul
    coopaul
    Community Member

I have the same problem -- everything in version 8 is duplicated. I downloaded Version 7, opened Help>Troubleshooting...but there is no Clean Up Duplicate Items option. So I selected Troubleshooting Utility...and nothing happened except I bounced to a browser help page "How to send a 1Password diagnostic report"

• Hi @coopaul 👋🏻

Sorry to hear you're seeing duplicate items. You can find the duplicate tool in 1Password 7 on Mac by navigating to Help > Tools > Clean Up Duplicate items. Here's an example:

Let me know how this goes or if you have any questions!

• coopaul
    coopaul
    Community Member

Thank you Andrew...except the Clean Up Duplicate Items option is grayed out.

• coopaul
    coopaul
    Community Member

Oh - now I've got it. Thanks -- I had to select my vault and then it worked.

• Good catch, @coopaul! The duplicate tool in 1Password 7 on Mac can indeed only be used on one vault at a time. Glad to hear you got it working. 🎉

You know where to find us if you have any questions in the future. 🙂

• regzok
    regzok
    Community Member
    edited October 2022

Unfortunately, even when I was on 1P 7 and tried to remove duplicates with the suggested tool, it didn't have (much) effect. So, I'm on 1P 8 with many duplicates, naturally. Should I mention that my duplicates are (and were) pretty weird: while reporting exact same created/modified dates, they show different (!) colors that indicate how week the password is (UPD: no longer sure about that): one is showing green, the other red. I can send screens to the support, if needed. Please, advise.

• andrew.l_1P
    edited October 2022

Hi @regzok,

Sorry to hear you're experiencing duplicate items. The duplicate tool in 1Password 7 does lean on the more conservative side, if items show any indication of being different, the tool won't identify them as duplicates.

If you end up sorting through your data manually, I recommend sorting by Title to help identify any potential duplicates. As you mentioned, looking at modified and created dates also helps. I suggest checking Watchtower as well to see if any of your duplicates are identified in its reused passwords:

Lastly, regarding the colours you're seeing, a screenshot would be very helpful! You can attach one to your reply here, but be careful not to include any private information as these are public forums:

Let me know how things go or if you have any questions. 🙂

• regzok
    regzok
    Community Member
    edited October 2022

Thanks Andrew,

Yes, I suspect something must be different in those duplicates. For example, check the attached screenshots. Everything is the same except the evaluation of the password strength (which, I assume, has been calculated some time ago by different versions of 1Password and then got stored on the record itself).

In other cases nothing at all looks different, e.g.:

(in this case I'm not revealing the password, but trust me, it's the same)

In the latter case there might be something different on the records behind the UI 🤷🏻‍♂️

Well, being a developer myself, I'm pessimistic of any easy solution existing to this problem. However, happy to hear out any ideas that might help.

Watchtower doesn't seem to help much. It does show hundreds of reused passwords, but that's not my exact problem (unless I missed something in your suggestion).

• Hi @regzok,

Great observation! In short, password strength gets calculated a bit differently depending on whether or not a password was generated within 1Password. This is because passwords generated by the app (or browser extension) itself can be verified in a way external passwords can't. So depending on how the duplicates were created, I suspect that's what's causing the differing grades despite their actual content being the same. If you're curious to read more about this, I recommend: How 1Password calculates password strength

I think you're also correct about the items that appear identical, there is likely something under the hood that differentiates them. While there's not much else I can recommend in terms of tools, one option is to sort your logins as you use them. This will save you having to go through your entire library in one sitting and since each item only needs to be adjusted once, tackling them as they're used will slowly chip away at the work that has to be done.

For what it's worth, you're spot on about Watchtower as well, the reused flag is intended, primarily, to help identify different login items that are using the same password so while it can sometimes catch duplicates, it isn't the perfect tool for that purpose. Wish I has better news to share, I apologize for any inconvenience caused by this and please don't hesitate if you have any questions along the way!

This discussion has been closed.