How to change the Category assigned to a record

Options
mwd01
mwd01
Community Member
edited April 15 in Windows

I like the way 1Password has expanded the Categories available. I also like that when setting up new records, one can choose and existing Category "template". To make using easier, I'd like to change the Category for an existing record from one Category to another without changing the data structure that exists. Is that possible please?

1Password Version: 8.8.0
Extension Version: 2.3.7
OS Version: Windows 10
Browser:_ Chrome

Comments

• Hey @mwd01, thanks for reaching out. In 1Password, each category has different required fields so it isn't possible to move items from one category to another or change the category of an item. With that said, we do have an internal feature request for the ability to change categories for items. While I can't say if or when this will be implemented, I'll be sure to add your voice to the request so our developer's can see that there is customer interest for this feature.

In the meantime, my recommendation here would be to create a new item in the desired category and copy & paste any pertinent details from the existing item to the new one, then delete the existing one.

I hope that helps!

Ali

ref: IDEA-I-716

• mwd01
    mwd01
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, thank you for the information. My suggestion to the development team is to change the Category attribute without changing the underlying fields (when changing the category). Having pre-built fields by category is great when creating new items, but that isn't required when changing the category. Thank you again.

• Naunomads
    Naunomads
    Community Member
    Options

I would appreciate the same as mwd01. Thank you.

• Hey @mwd01 and @Naunomads, thanks for your feedback. I'll be sure to pass your comments along to our team for consideration.

Let me know if there's anything else we can help with!

Ali

• lmorganis
    lmorganis
    Community Member
    Options

i want to put it on record that i would LOVE the ability to change categories on a record. I've been using 1Password since the beginning and have been stuck with a choice i made a decade ago :)

• Thanks, @Imorganis! I've included a +1 on your behalf for this feature request. 👍

• peanutbutter
    peanutbutter
    Community Member
    Options

I would appreciate this implementation.
    Maybe making a copy of the data in a common field like notes?

• Hello @peanutbutter,

We appreciate your reply. I've a cast a vote on your behalf and passed your suggestion along to the team. Thanks!

• AshBee
    AshBee
    Community Member
    Options

This feature to be able to recategorise current entries would be much appreciated.
    More than 400 entries would mean having to recreate each entry to tidy up my database.

• Hello @AshBee - Thanks for letting us know. I've included a vote for you! 👍

• iherman
    iherman
    Community Member
    Options

Please, add my +1 vote to the feature request as well. I understand that the default fields are different per category, and it is actually very helpful to have those when creating a new item. But once the item is in the vault, one may want to change its category for whatever reason (a mistake was committed when creating the item, new categories have been introduced by 1Password in the meantime😀, etc). The current approach to create a new item and make a copy-paste is not a sustainable approach if one's vault is large (which is in my case!).

There is also a related and, I believe, also long requested feature, namely the ability to create one's own category. As far as I am concerned, 1P has become more than just a password holder application; despite its name, it is the best simple database system around that is user friendly, works on tons of systems, is encrypted, etc.. (E.g., I use it to hold, in a separate vault, the basic biblio data of all my books.) I would love to have my own category for these, beyond the generic 'secure note' that I use now...

Thanks for your great work @AshBee, @AliH1P. Your product is great and has become a fundamental tool for me.

And a happy new year for everyone!

• mopperle
    mopperle
    Community Member
    edited December 2022
    Options

+1, especially when you move away from another PWM like LastPass

• Hello @iherman and @mopperle,

Thanks so much for your feedback and kind words! I've passed votes for this feature to change the category type along to the Product team.

@iherman - with regard to your additional comments about that long-requested feature of creating custom items or categories, I've included a vote on your behalf in the request we're tracking.

Happy New Year!

ref: IDEA-I-374

• einstem
    einstem
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for being able to change categories as well!

• Thank you, @einstem - I've sent this along to the team!

ref: 29819394

• SeaMonster
    SeaMonster
    Community Member
    Options

+1
    (Especially from "Secure Note" to any other category. Just put the note contents in the Categories notes field.)

• Thanks @SeaMonster - I've added your feedback for the team's consideration.

• CecilChesser
    CecilChesser
    Community Member
    Options

All the entries I imported from KeePassXC are in the Login category. How do I change the category to "Credit Card"?

1Password Version: 8.10.0
    Extension Version: 2.7.0
    OS Version: Windows 10
    Browser:_ Opera
    Referrer: forum-search:How to change the category of imported entries?

• Hello again @CecilChesser,

Thanks for your question. I've merged your message into a related thread to keep things tidy.

If this item is used to store your login credentials for a credit card account, this item should remain as a login item. If this an item you're looking to use fill your credit details, you can create a new Credit Card item to save those details there:

Categories are templates used when creating an item and cannot be changed, but I've updated our internal request with the Product team, noting that you've expressed interest in a way to change the category type of an item.

If you have any other questions, let us know and we'd be happy to help!

• linlu
    linlu
    Community Member
    Options

+1 to change category. I need to fix a few entries.

• Hello @linlu,

Thanks for passing along your +1 for this feature request to be able to change the category of an item. While we can't make any promises, I'm happy to send your feedback to the team! 👍

I need to fix a few entries.

In the meantime, I'd suggest creating some new items in the category you'd them to live in and move your information across from the previous items.

If you have any other questions or feedback, just let us know!

ref: 32312403

• greggsewell1
    greggsewell1
    Community Member
    Options

Please add my support for allowing items to move between categories. I have over 400 items in 1Password, and for expediency as a new user, I long ago developed the habit of clicking +New Item and then Login for almost every one of them.

I can hear you sighing at this all the way over here in Chicago (lol). I consider myself a power user, and when I bought 1Password years ago, I played with categories and found them not useful for me, primarily because some categories require fields that I didn't want to fill out or found unnecessary for my purposes. But I'd like, for example, to collect email accounts I created using the Login button so that I can click Emails in the sidebar instead of searching for tags, which I do use.

For better or worse, we live in a "Don't make me click twice" world, and end users like me expect software to let us do what we want our way.

Please don't take this as a complaint, because I don't mean it that way. I've used 1Password for years. I love it and I evangelize it to my friends and co-workers. One of my former supervisors was hacked two weeks ago. I set up a Zoom meeting with him and spent 20 minutes of my time demonstrating 1Password and describing its advantages. Next week I'm going to drop by his office for a hand-holding session to get things set up for him.

Sorry for the long note, but I thought it might be useful to hear the reasoning behind my request for this feature, which I suspect resonates with many others here.

Thanks for reading all the way to the end of this!

• 1P_Gem
    Options

Hi @greggsewell1, thanks for adding your +1 here, as well as for your kind words! The details on your particular use case are very helpful, and I've filed your feedback with our product team, including all of the information you've shared here 😄

ref: 33348310

• greggsewell1
    greggsewell1
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your response, 1P_Gem! I appreciate you letting me know that my comments might be useful to the devs.

• 1P_Gem
    Options

Hi @greggsewell1, you're very welcome! If you have any further suggestions or questions, don't hesitate to reach back out 😄

• nparis
    nparis
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for changing category for me too please

• Hi @nparis,

Thanks for your +1. I've included it for our team's consideration.

For the time being, the best course of action is creating a + New Item under the desired category type and copying the details over to that new item.

If you have any other feedback, please let us know!

ref: PB 34233998

• JimmyBilly
    JimmyBilly
    Community Member
    Options

AliH1P,

I Read your reply to mwd01 on 9/22 and just have to say that it is a cop out. Maybe a corporate cop out but one still the same. I am a software engineer and it is very easy to change categories if you are using a legitimate database which I assume you are. Unless the developers went nuts with the database, you just change the category for the record. You don't have to cross-match fields, the user can do that.

It just seems odd that most competition can do this but you can't, even a simple password tool like SplashID can change the Category.

That's all for now.

• misamee
    misamee
    Community Member
    Options

As @JimmyBilly pointed out, such a feature is not rocket science, provided, the underlying database is decent enough.

I've found requests for this feature since 2015, but support stubbornly believes that "the best course of action is creating a + New Item under the desired category type and copying the details over to that new item".

The time wasted in copying/pasting this workaround (sorry, "best course of action") and finding excuses could have been spent developing a fix to a bug that was pointed out at least 8 years ago!

• @JimmyBilly and @misamee

Thank you both for the feedback. I've passed along your comments to our product team so that they're aware that you'd both like to see the ability to change an item's category added to 1Password in the future.

The time wasted in copying/pasting this workaround (sorry, "best course of action") and finding excuses could have been spent developing a fix to a bug that was pointed out at least 8 years ago!

My colleagues and I on the support team aren't developers nor do we decide the product roadmap. Our role is to make sure that your feedback and requests are passed along to our product and development teams and, in the meantime, help you find the best way to use 1Password as it exists today. 🙂

-Dave

ref: 34704642
    ref: 34704666