How to change the Category assigned to a record

Options
2»

Comments

• dbreaux
    dbreaux
    Community Member
    Options

I also need this feature..! I would say if 1Password offered a Convert Button where it moved existing data to the equivalent field in the new category and if thay field didn't exist it just added it and filled in the data, that way the only info missing would be new info required for that new category.

• Hi @dbreaux,

Thanks for your +1 here. I've included your feedback for the Product teams consideration.

ref: PB 35625528

• rmschne
    rmschne
    Community Member
    edited September 2023
    Options

+1 for me. about time this be possible!! Or at least provide a work-around, say by copy/paste or something. Something better than nothing.

• Thanks for the +1 @rmschne, I'll pass that along to the Product team 👍

Ali

• MaurizioM
    MaurizioM
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, I'm also interested in this feature. Have you got any update, by the way? It seems you are working on it since a while, isn't it? Thank you

• Hello @MaurizioM,

Thanks for your +1 for this feature request. I don't have any news to share, but have also passed your feedback along to the Product team!

ref: PB 37726615

• BillMann
    BillMann
    Community Member
    Options

LastPass convert and please +1 this feature request to the devs. I see it's been in the wishlist for while: is there a public viewable wishlist we can directly view and vote on?

• Hi @BillMann 👋

Welcome to the 1Password Community! We're happy to have you.

I'll gladly pass along your request for the ability to switch an item's category to our Product team.

is there a public viewable wishlist we can directly view and vote on?

While we don't have a public wishlist that you can vote on, adding your feedback in threads such as this is a great way to ensure that feedback makes it's way to the appropriate team for consideration 🙂.

-Trevor

ref: PB-38313724

• wyberto
    wyberto
    Community Member
    Options

Please add me as a +1 for the ability to convert an existing record to a new category.
    Thank you.

• greggsewell1
    greggsewell1
    Community Member
    Options

I added my +1 for this feature almost a year ago, in May of 2023. Today I got an email saying someone else voted for this feature. This prompted me to read through the whole thread again for context.

My question now is: Given how many people want this, why isn't it on the roadmap? What's more important?

I understand that spiffy new features make headlines and attract new users, and senior management tends to prioritize that over under-the-hood improvements.

But I argue that non-sexy infrastructure- type things like reassigning categories are easily featured as a draw for new customers.

"Now 1Password is even easier to use! Reassign categories at will to make 1Password serve you even better!"

Hey, I'm not on the dev or marketing teams, and I don't own the company. I'm just an end user who wants the software to make things easier for me.

And that seems worth doing and worth shouting about.

As always, thanks for reading all the way to the end of this!

• 1P_Gem
    Options

Hi @wyberto, thanks for letting us know this is something you'd like to see as well! I've gone ahead and filed your feedback with our Product team.

ref: 39302844

Hi @greggsewell1, thanks for checking back in with us about this! I don't have any news I'm able to share about this feature just yet. However I can definitely understand where you're coming from, and I've added a note including what you've said here to your +1 for our Product team to see when considering and prioritising upcoming changes and new features.

ref: 33348310

• JimmyBilly
    JimmyBilly
    Community Member
    Options

I agree with everyone. I am a software engineer and this change is not difficult as long as you don't get buried in self inflicted requirements. Also, keep it simple, you really don't have to have maps and all that crap. I just converted 6 records by hand and the whole time I am thinking, "If they could change the category and bring in the new labels, I could do the rest. If your curious how, and if you have a software engineer, shoot me an email and I will tell you how.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@JimmyBilly

Thanks again for the feedback, I've passed it along to the team. 🙂

-Dave