Safari Biometrics disabled? [SOLVED]

Options

Comments

• Hi folks:

I sincerely appreciate your concerns here. I've been a huge user of 1Password for Safari since it released, and I'm having to adjust my workflow here as well.

How and why were these changes just found out recently when iOS 16 has been available for beta testing for months? I can't imagine Apple suddenly made this change in the RC release a week ago.

We noted the issue here in late August, and we've been working on the best solution since then. As it stands, removing Touch ID and Face ID unlock from 1Pasword for Safari is the best path until / unless things change.

you've had months to get this sorted out

As it currently stands, there is no acceptable way to implement Touch ID / Face ID in 1Password for Safari. While the behavior of WebAuthn appears similar between iOS 15 and iOS 16, there are differences, and while we are still actively pursuing a solution, it's also possible we may need help from our friends at Apple to bring this back.

Jack

• hegguardo
    hegguardo
    Community Member
    Options

This is a huge regression in functionality. I really hope a solution is found ASAP. I would hope it is a high priority.

• scottheaps
    scottheaps
    Community Member
    Options

This makes 1password unusable. I love your product and and your company, and have used it forever. And I understand it may be beyond your control, but that doesn’t change the fact that it makes 1password unusable. Is this the beginning of the end?

Is there a reason I had to find this in your community rather than direct in the articles about enabling Face ID? You sure wasted a lot of my time troubleshooting. You need to update the Face ID and extension documentation.

• wstuler
    wstuler
    Community Member
    Options

The "disabling" is inconsistent I have 2 phones, 1 an iphoneXR, 1 an iPhone 13 Pro. Both running ios 16.02. The FaceID works on the XR but not on the 13 Pro. I also notice that the FaceID does authenticate on the 13 Pro but isn't unlocking 1Password. Further, my sons iPhone 14 Pro also works to unlock FaceID. Why all the inconsistency? Frustrating.

• SyberCorp
    SyberCorp
    Community Member
    edited September 2022
    Options

Just my input about some of the people commenting that 1Password/AgileBits should have accounted for this while iOS 16 was still in beta, etc., and how they don't have the users' backs.

If the API they use was modified to have lowered security than what AgileBits was comfortable with their app/users using (because it would potentially put user data at risk), unless Apple changed the API again to appease AgileBits, I don't get what you expect AgileBits to do about it short of lowering their standards and agreeing to put user data at risk, or magically create their own API that somehow becomes a part of iOS 16. So, from my perspective, they absolutely DO have the collective backs of the users by refusing to use an inferior API from a security standpoint.

That all being said, I too am upset about the lack of the biometrics in the Safari extension because of the other things it took away in removing it.

• wstuler
    wstuler
    Community Member
    Options

I had to switch to Keeper because of this. Hopefully they will get it figured out at some point. Unfortunately they lose this customer because of it.

• SyberCorp
    SyberCorp
    Community Member
    Options

@AMonitorDarkly I suppose that’s fair, that they could have made users aware of the upcoming issue/regression by sending something to all users outside of just release notes.

• more_cowbell
    more_cowbell
    Community Member
    edited September 2022
    Options

I agree that it’s how it was handled and NOT communicated as much as the feature being gone.

Jack.P_1P Not only is the biometrics gone but I have to retry my password for the extension pretty much every time I go back to Safari. Even with it setting to every 1 or 2 weeks. I’ll give these to my next 1Password renewal. If not fixed I’m taking my money elsewhere.

• wstuler
    wstuler
    Community Member
    Options

I had to switch to Keeper because of this. Hopefully they will get it figured out at some point. Unfortunately they lose this customer because of it.

• mattb02
    mattb02
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for the frustration here; this makes the Safari extension extremely inconvenient to use now; it's easier to just manually open the 1P app and use Face ID (then manually copy credentials back to Safari) than to type my long master password -- especially if I happen to be in public.

The explanation that a change in WebAuthn implementation is incompatible with 1P's security model is sensible if true, and I'm supportive of AB/1P prioritizing security over usability here if so. However I'd be really curious for more technical detail on what changed and what assumptions 1P was making about WebAuthn that were broken. This would give an idea whether this is likely to be fixable in a 1P update or whether it will depend on Apple's willingness to change their WebAuthn implementation (which is far more uncertain and might mean no fix until iOS 17+...). It would also give greater confidence that the reasoning is legitimate & in our best interest as users, and thus probably alleviate some of the frustration expressed in this thread.

I also wonder if there are other ways that 1P could work around this, e.g. can the Safari extension launch the app, have the app do the Touch/Face ID authentication, then send a token back to the Safari Extension? That would be similar to how some mobile apps handle cross-app OAuth flows, and it appears there is an API for secure messaging between the native app and its associated extension: https://developer.apple.com/documentation/safariservices/safari_web_extensions/messaging_between_the_app_and_javascript_in_a_safari_web_extension?language=objc

Thanks in advance for any additional transparency that can be provided.

• mmatthew
    mmatthew
    Community Member
    Options

I have set and reset FaceID and it works to unlock my phone. 1Password is not listed in the list of apps using FaceID in the iPhone Security settings, even after deleting 1Password app and re-installing. I have tried shutting FaceID off and back on both in 1Password and iPhone settings. Any idea how to get it working again?

1Password Version: 8.9.6
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: 16.0.2 (20A380)
    Browser:_ iOS Safari
    Referrer: forum-search:iOS safari extension troubleshooting

• lodea
    lodea
    Community Member
    Options

Same on my iPad Pro which is on the 16.1 beta. FaceID works in the 1Password app fine, but the Safari extension no longer offers FaceID, it just asks for the passphrase.

• Ben
    Options

iOS 16.1 will have new APIs available that should enable Safari Web Extensions (including ours) to work with the native biometric functions, rather than having to rely on WebAuthn. We're actively working to make the changes necessary on our end, but it won't be possible without iOS 16.1.

Ben

• marcelogrsp
    marcelogrsp
    Community Member
    Options

The auto filling is also asking me to type my password! It is not an exclusive issue or whatever they call security bla bla bla of safari extension.

• oan
    oan
    Community Member
    edited October 2022
    Options

@Ben thank you for the good news ⭐ Looking forward to 16.1 and your update. Good luck to the team ❤️

• mattb02
    mattb02
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben excellent news, thank you for the update.

• ojix2
    ojix2
    Community Member
    Options

My iPad mini 5 with iPadOS 16.1 still requires me to type master password when I tap 1Password icon in the Safari's address bar. and so I understand the biometrics function is back with iOS 16.1, but not with iPadOS 16.1.
    If I am correct, when it will come back to iPadOS ?
    If I am wrong, which settings I should check ?

• Ben
    Options

It is a work in progress for all devices. 🙏🏻

Ben

• ojix2
    ojix2
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben Thank you for your reply.
    I thought iOS and iPadOS would be taken care of as a set, which is not the case this time.
    I look forward to the turn of iPadOS to come around soon.

• ojix2
    ojix2
    Community Member
    Options

1Password v.8.9.7 & iPadOS 16.1 has solved the Safari biometrics issue. Thank you !!

• Dave_1P
    edited November 2022
    Options

1Password Approved Answer

Hello folks,

1Password for iOS/iPadOS 8.9.7 was just released and brings back biometric unlock to 1Password for Safari:

You can now use Face ID and Touch ID to unlock 1Password in Safari after updating to iOS 16.1 or later. #17988

I recommend that you update using the App Store. You can find our guide on how to update here: How to keep 1Password up to date

You'll also need to update to iOS / iPadOS 16.1 or later: Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support (CA)

I'd like to thank everyone for their patience and understanding while the team worked to resolve this issue. 🙂

-Dave

• mattb02
    mattb02
    Community Member
    Options

Will 1Password 7 receive this update, or does this mean we are forced to update to 1Password 8 to get this functionality back? It doesn't look like 7 even has a page in the App Store anymore, though idk if it can still receive background updates.

• @mattb02

We also released version 7.10.0 of 1Password 7 for iOS today with a fix to enable Face ID / Touch ID unlock in 1Password for Safari. Follow these steps to update:

1. Open the App Store.
    2. Tap on your profile icon in the upper right corner and then tap Purchased.
    3. Tap My Purchases.
    4. Tap on "1Password - Password Manager" in the list.
    5. Tap Update.

You'll also need to update to iOS 16.1 if you haven't already: Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support (CA)

I hope that helps! 🙂

-Dave

• mattb02
    mattb02
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P thanks for those steps & very fast reply! Can verify this feature works again for me now.

• @mattb02

I'm happy that everything is working again for you. 🙂

-Dave

• RDye
    RDye
    Community Member
    Options

For me 1Password iOS/iPadOS 8.9.7 brought back Safari biometrics on iPad but not iPhone. Both iPad and iPhone are running their respective 16.1 OS’s. Tried rebooting iPhone, turning Face ID on/off, etc., but still no go.

This discussion has been closed.