Safari Biometrics disabled? [SOLVED]

Options
more_cowbell
more_cowbell
Community Member
edited November 2022 in iOS

View 1Password's Approved Answer

Why does the latest update disable biometrics in Safari?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @more_cowbell:

With the latest iOS 16 update, 1Password has temporarily turned off Touch ID and Face ID in Safari due to changes in the user flow and experience. Biometric sign-in across all other devices and browsers other than Safari will remain the same. 1Password understands the importance of biometrics, namely the security and convenience it offers our customers. We would like to bring back this feature one day and are working closely with our partners at Apple to figure out how to make that happen.

Jack

• more_cowbell
    more_cowbell
    Community Member
    Options

“One day”?? That’s pretty vague

• mackg
    mackg
    Community Member
    Options

Is the only issue the wording of the prompt? I'm running iOS 16 but haven't updated 1Password yet to disable FaceID, and haven't had any problems with it. The first time it asks you if you want to save a passkey for 1Password, and then every subsequent unlock works exactly as it did on iOS 15.

It seems like a simple instructional popup before the Apple one comes up explaining that would solve this problem, rather than disabling the feature unless Apple changes their wording (which seems very unlikely).

• more_cowbell
    more_cowbell
    Community Member
    edited September 2022
    Options

Dupe

• ManuCH
    ManuCH
    Community Member
    Options

To me that's unacceptable. That's one of the main features going missing, which by the way was working perfectly before the upgrade on iOS 16 RC. Can we have that enabled again like it was before?

• deviantintegral
    deviantintegral
    Community Member
    Options

Does this only affect the Safari extension, or does it also affect the system-level filling that can be used in Safari? Is it only disabled for those upgrading to iOS 16?

• Hi @AMonitorDarkly:

Yes, that's correct. This change only affects unlocking the 1Password Extension on iOS for Safari using Touch ID or Face ID, and you can continue to use biometrics to unlock 1Password when tapping "🔑Passwords" or "🔑" above your keyboard.

@more_cowbell / @ManuCH:

As I mentioned above, we're working with our partners at Apple, but I don't have any specifics to share at this time.

@mackg:

We used WebAuthn with 1Password for Safari to enable you to use Face ID or Touch ID to unlock. The changes to WebAuthn in iOS 16 don’t align with our security model and aren’t compatible with our implementation of WebAuthn. Consequently, we’ve removed this feature for now.

@deviantintegral:

This change would only apply to 1Password for Safari itself, and not filling using Password AutoFill, as I mentioned above. We have crafted your 1Password experience to be as consistent as possible across operating systems. We also don’t want 1Password to be the reason for not upgrading to iOS 16. We are talking to our partners at Apple about how we can bring this feature back.

Jack

• ManuCH
    ManuCH
    Community Member
    Options

@Jack.P_1P Why do you need to work with your partners at Apple, if this worked until a few hours ago, before you released the update, on iOS 16 RC, which I've been running for a week? Can you please share more details? This just doesn't add up to me. It worked, yes, with IOS 16, and you removed the feature?

• Nicholas1P
    Nicholas1P
    Community Member
    edited September 2022
    Options

Hope this doesn't take too long to fix.

• Hi @ManuCH:

After doing some further investigation with the way WebAuthn works in iOS 16, allowing for Touch ID or Face ID unlock for 1Password for Safari created a less secure environment than we were comfortable with. Because security is our top priority, we disabled the feature until we can find a suitable replacement.

@Nicholas1P:

I'd love to see the return of Face ID or Touch ID unlock to 1Password for Safari as well, but as it currently stands I don't have any timeframes to share just yet. Thanks for your feedback!

Jack

• more_cowbell
    more_cowbell
    Community Member
    Options

Can’t continue taking away features and expect us paying customers to stick around. Taking it away without a plan is a joke. 1Password is losing the trust of many long time and loyal customers that helped you build what was a great product.

• einsteinbqat
    einsteinbqat
    Community Member
    Options

LOL This is like when they removed access to 1Password from the share sheet. Everything was working fine. Then they update the app, and remove the feature without any prior mention of it.

Now this is the same. iOS 16 has been in beta for months, and everything was working just fine. Then, oh, WebAuthn has changed. Bollocks. This is just a boat load of rubbish. Suddenly after all these months, WebAuthn has changed last minute? As if as a developer, and a big fat one at that, 1P did not know about changes in implementation or whatever changes Apple might want to make!

Give me a break!

And look at the version number 7.9.9! What? Are you suddenly going to use a fourth digit, when you never ever did before, and make a 7.9.9.1?! Please…

You guys must really think that users are just not very intelligent.

I am going to say it :

You are voluntarily crippling the app to make people upgrade to 1P8.

Spin the PR speech like you want, but this is what it is.

• einsteinbqat
    einsteinbqat
    Community Member
    Options

LOL This is like when they removed access to 1Password from the share sheet. Everything was working fine. Then they update the app, and remove the feature without any prior mention of it.

Now this is the same. iOS 16 has been in beta for months, and everything was working just fine. Then, oh, WebAuthn has changed. Bol. locks. This is just a boat load of rub. bish. Suddenly after all these months, WebAuthn has changed last minute? As if as a developer, and a big one at that, 1P did not know about changes in implementation or whatever changes Apple might want to make!

Give me a break!

And look at the version number 7.9.9! What? Are you suddenly going to use a fourth digit, when you never ever did before, and make a 7.9.9.1?! Please…

You guys must really think that users are just not very intelligent.

I am going to say it :

You are voluntarily crippling the app to make people upgrade to 1P8.

Spin the PR speech like you want, but this is what it is.

• ManuCH
    ManuCH
    Community Member
    Options

@Jack.P_1P Unfortunately I need to insist: this is really a major, critical feature to me. Can you please route this one up the chain and make sure somebody in management sees the complaint?

Having it working this way forces me to switch to a weaker master password as I can't keep typing my complex master password all the time on a cramped iPhone keyboard. So your security reasoning regarding WebAuthn actually brings the opposite result.

I would be happy with having a hidden setting like "Developer mode" or "Advanced mode, I promise I know what I'm doing and I assume all responsibility", where we can re-enable it at our own risk. It worked throughout all the betas, up to 1Password 8.9.3. I cannot wait for an unspecified amount of time until this feature is maybe brought back. We migrated our whole company to 1Password, but we will need to consider migrating elsewhere as that's really critical.

• more_cowbell
    more_cowbell
    Community Member
    Options

@einsteinbqat they pulled biometrics from both 7 and 8 so that move isn’t to push people to 8.

It looks like my concerns about 1Password are coming true. All the growth bringing more negative than positive.

• einsteinbqat
    einsteinbqat
    Community Member
    Options

@more_cowbell Indeed, but whilst 1P8 will get updated eventually, I doubt that 1P7 would see any update beyond version 7.9.9.

• iSRS
    iSRS
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the prompt responses, @Jack.P_1P - and thanks for being willing to take a few arrows to keep us updated.

I’m curious why only Safari, especially as one would think that Safari would be more secure than Chrome (or other browsers) given the “marketing”

Can you provide some details on what got less secure in Safari this week (because as others have said, it was working in the betas)?

• Customer1passCanada
    Customer1passCanada
    Community Member
    edited September 2022
    Options

The biometric feature removal in Safari is a software regression.

My parents rely on 1Password biometric to use their passwords. Asking them to type their 1password every time they need a password filled is unacceptable.

How can the 1Password team not anticipate the security model apple proposed until the very day iOS 16 was released? Colour me unimpressed.

• Customer1passCanada
    Customer1passCanada
    Community Member
    edited September 2022
    Options

Edited for clarity.

• deviantintegral
    deviantintegral
    Community Member
    Options

I don't think it lets you fill credit cards, but personally I just use the system-level filling nearly all the time. Biometrics still work fine with that.

• @Customer1passCanada

Are your parents using the 1Password for Safari extension, or Apple's Password AutoFill feature with 1Password integration? The latter may be better for this use case at least until we can find a way to bring biometric unlock back to the 1Password for Safari extension. You can read more about using 1Password with Password AutoFill here:

Use 1Password to fill and save in apps and browsers on your iPhone and iPad

The change being discussed in this thread does not affect AutoFill. Personally I'm leaving both enabled and will use 1Password for Safari for filling credit cards and identities, and Password AutoFill for most everything else, for now.

@iSRS

Can you provide some details on what got less secure in Safari this week (because as others have said, it was working in the betas)?

1Password for Safari is built on Apple's relatively new Web Extension technology, where native Touch ID / Face ID APIs are not available. To work around that we built Touch ID / Face ID support for 1Password for Safari using WebAuthn. We recently discovered the changes made to WebAuthn in iOS 16 are incompatible with our security model. We have reached out to Apple to explain how we've been using WebAuthn and to engage with them on how we can bring these features back to the Safari extension.

Ben

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Or maybe one or both sides were trying to find a resolution, and it just didn't make the iOS 16 deadline. It happens. Apple had to delay many iOS 16 features until later (as they did with 15, and 14, ...), and 1Password is obviously drinking through a firehose right now, and likely this issue has only added to it.

• ZebraDude
    ZebraDude
    Community Member
    Options

I'm glad that 1Password is watching our backs. I am SO glad that I have held back on updating to iOS 16. I have been a 1Password user since Version 4 for iOS and now an annual subscriber.

iOS 16 is less important for me than 1Password for Safari extension.

• netnothing
    netnothing
    Community Member
    edited September 2022
    Options

Not sure Apple is going to be quick to help out since they would prefer everyone use the built in passwords with iCloud and keychain.

This is an unfortunate change. I can handle the passwords using the auto fill bar, but this means no more auto filling credit card fields without retyping your long master password.

Can’t the 1P auto fill be updated to detect and work with credit card fields?

Anyone have any 1P alternatives that still work? Apple doesn’t save cc data for auto filling do they?

• alovchin91
    alovchin91
    Community Member
    Options

I can’t seem to use biometric unlock on iPadOS 15 either. Did you remove it for all iOS versions? If so, please bring it back for iOS 15 and earlier.

• more_cowbell
    more_cowbell
    Community Member
    Options

@ZebraDude if they were truly watching our backs they would have provided a solution before the launch of iOS 16 and we would not have lost yet another feature.

This discussion has been closed.