Change suggested password length

Options

Is there any way to change the default suggested password length in 1Password 8 for the browser?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows
Browser:_ Chrome

Comments

• Hey @twentw,

You can amend the suggested password length from the Password Generator in your browser, here's how:

1. Click on the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar and sign in.
    2. Click the round menu next to the search bar and choose 'Password Generator'.
    3. Change the password type to 'Random password' in the drop down.

Beneath here you can change the password length and also choose your default for suggestions.

I hope this helps!

• twentw
    twentw
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you. That was what I was looking for.

• You're welcome @twentw, let us know if there is anything else we can help with.

• pbenner
    pbenner
    Community Member
    Options

So where is the password generator in 1Password 8 for Mac desktop? I've looked everywhere I could think of.

• Hey @pbenner,

You can only currently access the Password Generator from 1Password in your browser. Do you think it would be beneficial to add this functionality to the 1Password desktop app as well? I'd love to hear your feedback and pass this on to our Product team.

Thank you!

• pbenner
    pbenner
    Community Member
    Options

Yes! Absolutely...the number of apps that are requiring passwords is increasing so it isn't just website logins. So having the Password Generator in the desktop 1Password app or even in the dropdown menubar icon list would be great.

• Sorry for the delay @pbenner and Happy New Year!

I have passed on your use case along with your feedback to our Product team for consideration.

Thank you for taking the time to let us know ways in which we can improve 1Password!

ref: PB-29749006

• JudiG
    JudiG
    Community Member
    Options

With the latest version as of Feb. 2023, you can only adjust the password length if you select "Random Password". You can't do this with the default "Smart Password" which is confusing:(
    Version from About is Version 2.7.0

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @JudiG, when the smart password option is selected, 1Password will scan the website that you're on, try to find their password requirements, and make a suggestion based on that. There's a short explanation about it here: https://share.cleanshot.com/PBVYNkNt

If you want to adjust the length of a password, I definitely recommend selecting "Random Password" as you have noted. Additionally, you can select for symbols and numbers to be included.

I hope that you'll be able to select an option that fits your needs. If you have any further questions, please let us know.

• JudiG
    JudiG
    Community Member
    Options

Well, it doesn’t appear to work on the TransUnions dot com (very sucky) site. Their site is dumb. It lets you reset the password to 20 characters, but next time you login it tells you the max characters is 15:-(

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@JudiG just to clarify, does 1Password suggest 20 characters for the new password, or does that come from the TransUnion website itself? If 1Password is doing anything incorrectly, please let us know! We can check on it and report it to our developers.

• JudiG
    JudiG
    Community Member
    Options

1Password suggested a 20 character password for the TransUnion site. Thanks for asking.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@JudiG could you go to the change password page on TransUnion's website and share a screenshot of the 20-character password suggestion? Make sure to not include anything private or sensitive in the screenshot, such as your actual password.

Additionally, I'd like for you to grab the following for us:

1. On the password change page, right click the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar.
    2. Click Help and choose Collect Page Structure.
    3. 1Password will save a .json file to your "Downloads" folder.
    4. Attach the downloaded .json file to your next reply.

Once I get the screenshot and page structure, I will report the issue to our developers. I hope to hear from you again soon.

• JudiG
    JudiG
    Community Member
    Options

So this is a TransUnion bug. Their page allowed me to set my password to 20 characters. (It was a forced password reset page from their support team.) Then when I next tried to login, and only then, I could not because my password had to be between 8 and 15 characters, sigh.

In any case, attached here is the info you've requested. I had to add a .JPG suffix to the "collected_page_structure.json" file so that I could attach it here. It is NOT really a .JPG file; it's really a .JSON file.

Good luck, Judi

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@JudiG thanks for clarifying. Although it's a TransUnion bug, I'm happy to make a report to our developers to see if there's anything we can do with the suggestion that we make.

I was able to open the page structure. However, it seems to be for the 1Password.community website and not the TransUnion website. Sorry for any confusion caused by my instructions. Could you go to the TransUnion website, navigate to the change password page, and then collect the page structure from there?

Attach the logs and diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com. With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.