How do I delete duplicate entries? Keep copy in Shared vault and delete in Private vault?

jhooper
jhooper
Community Member

Likely during my migration to 1Password 8, I have copies of entries in both Private vault and in Shared vault. I had intended to migrate all entries to Shared vault and likely "copied" but had intended to "move". Is there a way for me to delete the Private vault entries that are exactly the same as the corresponding Shared vault entries?

Thanks in advance,
Jim

1Password Version: 8.9.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12.5.1
Browser:_ Chrome
Referrer: forum-search:removing duplicate entries in 1password for mac 8

Comments

• Hi @jhooper,

If you're confident that all your items were copied to your shared vault, you can delete their originals. The copied versions are essentially new items and do not depend on their source items to exist. In your Private vault, selecting any items and then using + A on your keyboard will highlight the entire contents of that vault and you can then right-click and choose to delete. If there are any items you're unsure about, I recommend opening the two vaults on separate devices, or one on 1Password.com so you can compare them side by side.

Another option is to use the duplicate tool from 1Password 7, which will conservatively detect duplicate items and offer to delete them on your behalf. This tool can only check within a single vault though so using it in this case would necessitate moving all the items in your Private vault into your Shared vault, potentially creating 3rd copies in your account. In the event that the duplicate tool doesn't detect any items, those would need to be addressed manually. If you'd like to go this route, here are the steps:

1. In 1Password 8, move the contents of your Private vault into your Shared vault
    2. Quit 1Password 8
    3. Download and install 1Password 7: Legacy Downloads
    4. Open and unlock 1Password 7
    5. In the menu bar, click the Vault menu > Switch to Vault > Shared
    6. Click the Help menu > Tools > Clean Up Duplicate Items

You'll then get a pop up confirming how many items were detected and you can choose to delete them.

Let me know how it goes or if you have any questions. 🙂

• jhooper
    jhooper
    Community Member

Andrew - thanks so much. I "tested" the process by first moving two items from Private vault to Shared Vault, then I did what you suggest above and it worked for me. Then I reinstalled 1Password 8, "moved" all items in Private vault to Shared vault. I quit 1Password 8 completely, reinstalled 1Password 7, used the tool as above and deleted about half of the duplicate items, which was 250 or so. Worth doing. I reinstalled 1Password 8, and now need to go through the remaining items which, while close to being duplicates, are not; they differ in very small ways. I do think I saved time by doing the above and I'm very appreciative. Thanks! Jim

• Hi Jim,

Thanks for the update, I'm glad to hear we were able to lighten the load! In case it helps track down a few of the remaining items, Watchtower will detect any reused passwords on items with different websites attached:

Let me know if I can help with anything and thanks for being a 1Password user. 😊

This discussion has been closed.