One-time password problem

stevebythebay
stevebythebay
Community Member

Have set up NordVPN on Authy but cannot generate another QR Code for NordVPN to pass into my NordVPN entry on 1password for a one-time password. Any ideas???

1Password Version: 8.9.4
Extension Version: 2.3.7
OS Version: MacOS 12.6
Browser:_ Safari

Comments

• TambourineMan
    TambourineMan
    Community Member

I had to disable MFA for NordVPN and then re-enable it to generate a new QR code. I then used snip to capture a .jpg of it and saved it in an encrypted vault in case I need it in the future (for new devices or reinstalls). I don't remember getting new NordVPN backup codes this time, 1Password doesn't use them. I just got 1Password today so I haven't had a chance to see how 1PW fills in the codes (but the codes show in the NordVPN entry). Nor have I had a chance to check if reports of NordVPN interferring with 1PW are a problem for me.

• Hi @stevebythebay,

@TambourineMan is spot on (thanks!) that you'll likely need to disable and re-enable multi-factor authentication to get a new QR code. You can use the 1Password Mac app or browser extension to scan this code: Use 1Password as an authenticator for sites with two-factor authentication

If for some reason this doesn't work, the QR code should come with a code alternative that can also be entered in 1Password to generate one-time passwords. I personally like to store my backup codes that I receive after setting this up in the notes section of that 1Password item!

Let me know how that goes or if either of you have any questions. 🙂

• stevebythebay
    stevebythebay
    Community Member

Got it to work. I know you can't help with this one, but I've spent nearly 2 months trying to get Mint Mobile to send an SMS from their app enabling 2FA. What a mess...

• Glad to hear it, @stevebythebay! Authenticating via SMS isn't my personal favourite either. 😅

If you see any options for "third party authenticator apps" or something similar, that QR/code should work with 1Password too so you may not have to go the SMS route. Give your options a once over and let me know if I can help with anything. 😊

• stevebythebay
    stevebythebay
    Community Member

That's the gotcha: Mint Mobile is supposed to send a 6-digit pin via SMS to the phone on file when I opt-in for 2FA, which then proves it's me. Subsequently, I'm assuming they offer up the QR code or other means, which then would be entered into Authy or Google Authenticator. Problem: I never receive the SMS!

• Sorry to hear that, hopefully you'll get it sorted and can get that code generating in 1Password soon! 🤞🏻

This discussion has been closed.