Firefox Add-In has newer data than Desktop App

Options
aterren9999
aterren9999
Community Member
edited July 2013 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I'm a new user and have changed a number of accounts using the add-in and they are not reflected in the desktop app. Is there a way to force synch, or export from the extension so I can manually update the desktop app?

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options
    1. Open this URL in Firefox: https://agilebits.com/extension/test/export_data
    2. Enter your master password on that export page and click the button to export the data to a 1PIF file.
    3. You can then import that data in the main 1Password application (File > Import > 1Password Interchange File).
    4. Confirm that the data is successfully imported into the main 1Password application.

Then let's try completely removing and reinstalling the Firefox extension. Other browsers handle the removal of the SQLite file automatically when you remove the extension, but you will need to do this manually for Firefox:

1. In Firefox, select Tools > Add-ons from the menu bar.
    2. Click the Remove button to remove the 1Password extension.
    3. Quit Firefox.
    4. In Finder, select Go > Go to Folder from the menu bar.
    5. Copy and paste the following path and press Return:

~/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles

6. Move the OnePassword.sqlite file you see there to the desktop.

Then reinstall the 1Password extension in Firefox:

https://agilebits.com/extensions/mac/index.html

Once everything is working well, you can safely move the OnePassword.sqlite file on the desktop to the trash.

• aterren9999
    aterren9999
    Community Member
    Options

The URL in step one results in this error message:
    Sorry, there is no page found at the address you requested. It may have been a bad link or possibly a page that we have removed. Please use the links above to find whatever you are looking for!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2013
    Options

Of course you are correct. My sincere apologies. Firefox does not support the export of 1Password data. It is only possible in Safari and Chrome. :(

You will need to manually record the data you have saved in the Firefox extension in the main 1Password app before completely removing and reinstalling the Firefox extension.

However, before you do that try selecting Help > Troubleshooting > Restart Helper from the menu bar in 1Password first. That may get you going without the need to reinstall the extension (including manually removing the SQLite file).

• aterren9999
    aterren9999
    Community Member
    Options

Ok...will try when I am next at that computer. Firefox limitation or extension limitation? My expectation is the latter which would be unfortunate. Frankly I love the idea of this app but after spending ~$80 on license and a few weeks working to get my logins updated I'm finding the synch between the desktop and extensions a bit flakey. I don't think I could possibly ask my wife to adopt this tool given the current issues I'm having.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I agree. You shouldn't be having this trouble at all. Once we get it resolved on your specific machine you shouldn't ever have any trouble again. If you do, we will need to investigate further and see why you are experiencing this problem on that specific machine.

What happened when you selected Help > Troubleshooting > Restart Helper from the menu bar in 1Password? Once you quit Firefox, restarted Firefox, and then unlocked the 1Password Firefox extension did the data match up? I'd love to get this resolved for you once and for all. Please let me know. It is important to me that things are working well and you are completely happy with 1Password (and our support). :)

• aterren9999
    aterren9999
    Community Member
    Options

It did not help. I am manually trying to move all the log-ins over to the desktop app.

I do have 1 computer that cannot connect to dropbox due to corporate firewall issues. Is it practical to manually synch data by copying the Agile folder from 1 PC to another?

• aterren9999
    aterren9999
    Community Member
    Options

BTW, responsiveness viat this forum has been GREAT!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It did not help. I am manually trying to move all the log-ins over to the desktop app.

I am sorry to hear that, but please let me know how it goes once you have manually transferred the data and followed the steps above to remove the SQLite file.

I do have 1 computer that cannot connect to dropbox due to corporate firewall issues. Is it practical to manually synch data by copying the Agile folder from 1 PC to another?

It should be possible, but please let me know if you have any trouble. Are you on a PC, though? All the instructions I've been giving have been for Mac. Let me know if I have just been confusing you with them. :)

You might also consider any number of file-based sync solutions. Depending on your platform, I can suggest something that might suit your needs.

BTW, responsiveness viat this forum has been GREAT!

Happy to hear it! Thanks so much for saying so. :D

• aterren9999
    aterren9999
    Community Member
    Options

The troubles I am having are on a PC. It was a bit confusing as to where I should post because FireFox seem associated with c on this site.

• aterren9999
    aterren9999
    Community Member
    Options

That should have read "associated with Mac on this site". Anyhow, I think I will be limited to manual sync, or sneaker-net, for the work PC. My plan is to save the keychain to a USB drive and carry that to work.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Aha! I have now moved your post from the "Mac Browser Extensions" category to the "Windows" category to avoid any further confusion on my part. Working long hours it is nice to see the category each time I reply as a big ol' reminder of what I am doing. LOL

Sneakernet should work if that works for you.

Once you have all the data in the main 1Password application, you can follow these instructions which are similar to the above but are tailored to Windows:

1. Open Firefox.
    2. Remove the 1Password extension.
    3. Enter about:support in the address bar and press Return.
    4. Click the "Show Folder" button.
    5. Quit Firefox.
    6. In the Explorer window that opened, go up one level in the file hierarchy.
    7. Move the OnePassword.sqlite to your desktop.

​Then reinstall the Firefox extension from 1Password for Windows' preferences on the Browsers tab.

Once everything is working well, you can safely move the OnePassword.sqlite file on the desktop to the trash.

Please let me know how it goes.

This discussion has been closed.