Can't label or rename attached photo?

Options
pixycz
pixycz
Community Member

If I add a photo to an item (on iPad), it appears as "New_photo_ANSDGHJDFGSFDDGSFJAGSHJGSJGSJAGHSJ". It seems I can't rename it or at least, add a label to to it. How am I supposed to understand the attached files? Let's say it's a secure note with a car info. I need many photos and documents to be attached here, how should I handle them?

1Password Version: 8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iPadOS 15.5
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:label or rename photo

Comments

• Dave_1P
    edited September 2022
    Options

Hello @pixycz! 👋

I recommend that you rename the photo before attaching it to a Secure Note in 1Password. That being said, I agree that it would be helpful to be able to rename already attached files from inside 1Password and I've filed a feature request on your behalf with our product team.

Let me know if you have any questions. 🙂

ref: IDEA-I-704

• pixycz
    pixycz
    Community Member
    Options

Do you have any idea how to rename a photo in iOS? In fact, photos have no names in iOS and names like "New_photo_ANSDGHJDFGSFDDGSFJAGSHJGSJGSJAGHSJ" are artifically assigned on import into 1Password.

• @pixycz

Thank you for the reply. I've looked into this and the only way that I've found to rename the photo is to first save it to your Files app on the iPad and rename it there before adding it to an item in 1Password. Follow these steps:

1. Open the Photos app and tap on the photo that you wish to select.
    2. Tap on the Share icon and then scroll down and tap Add to Files.
    3. Open the Files app on your iPad.
    4. Tap and hold on the photo and then tap Rename. Type the name you wish to see.

Then open 1Password and add the renamed photo from Files (not from your photo library) using the "Choose a file" option. I know that this isn't the most elegant solution and hopefully we can improve this feature of 1Password in the future. 🙂

ref: dev/core/core#16056

• pixycz
    pixycz
    Community Member
    Options

Not elegant at all, you 're right. A workaround, not a solution. Especially if you want to securely store critical documents like IDs, passports, contracts etc. – you want a minimum digital trace in your devices, not to create another copies and spread them through system caches. I'd rather go with that random name. Thank you though.

Am I right there was a label (title) available for attachments in the older versions of 1Pwd? A label is ideal, I don't care about the filename if it has is a descriptive label.

• drd_77_
    drd_77_
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P please implement a better/cleaner solution :) pretty please!

• @drd_77_

I've let the team know you'd like to see some love here. Thanks for sharing and Happy New Year! 🥳.

ref: dev/core/core#16056

This discussion has been closed.