Safari for Mac 1password 8 won't autofill

Options
VivianPicow
VivianPicow
Community Member
edited December 2022 in 1Password in the Browser

I upgraded from 1password 7 to 8 and can't get it to autofil in Safarl. I followed these instructions but it still won't work. What am I doing wrong?
Set up Universal Autofill
Before you can use 1Password for Mac to autofill your information in apps and browsers, you’ll need to set up 1Password on your Mac. Then follow these steps:
Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Security & Privacy.
Click the Privacy tab, then select Accessibility from the list.
Click the lock icon and enter the password you use to log in to your Mac.
Select the checkbox beside 1Password. If you don’t see 1Password, click the + button, locate the 1Password app in your Applications folder, then select it and click Open.
Turn on the Accessibility preference for 1Password
From now on, you’ll be able to use 1Password for Mac to fill your usernames and passwords without opening the 1Password app.

1Password Version: 8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: mac 12.6
Browser:_ Safari
Referrer: forum-search:set up autofill for 1password 8

Comments

• Hi @VivianPicow,

Glad to hear you've made the upgrade to 1Password 8, though I'm sorry to hear autofill isn't behaving as expected in Safari.

To start, could I confirm whether or not you see the 1Password icon in Safari's toolbar? If not, you can address that here: If you don't see the 1Password icon in your browser's toolbar

Once you have the 1Password icon in Safari, right-click it and select Settings. From there, navigate to Autofill on the left side and then check that the options you'd like to use are enabled:

Let me know how this goes or if you have any questions along the way! 🙂

• DavidB
    DavidB
    Community Member
    Options

@andrew.1_1P,

I am not the OP and hope I am not hijacking this thread, but what version of 1Password are you using?

With 1Password 8.9.4 and 1Password for Safari 2.3.8 (Monterey 12.6), I have only the first two Autofill options you do. "Offer to save new sign-ins" is missing.

Thank you,

David

• Hi @DavidB,

No problem at all, I'm glad you're interested in this feature! It's currently available in the 1Password browser extension beta if you're eager to try it for yourself. I'll include links to the release notes as well as where you can download the beta:

Let me know how it goes if you end up trying it or if you have any questions. 🙂

• DavidB
    DavidB
    Community Member
    edited October 2022
    Options

No problem at all, I'm glad you're interested in this feature! It's currently available in the 1Password browser extension beta if you're eager to try it for yourself.

Thanks for clarifying.

By the way, it's not so much that I am interested in the feature (I almost never sign in with a third-party identity) as that I was confused by the fact that it isn't available in the latest production version.

• Happy to help, @DavidB! 😊

You know where to find us if you have any questions in the future.

• VivianPicow
    VivianPicow
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for your help, Andrew. I haven't been able to try your suggestions until now because of WiFi connectivity issues. I do have the 1Password icon in my Safari toolbar. However, when I right-click on it (two finger click on my pad) I don't have an option for Settings. What am I doing wrong?

• @VivianPicow

You should see Settings at the top of the context menu that appears when you right-click. If you don't see a context menu, try holding the ⌃ Control key on the keyboard while you click. The context menu looks like this:

If you're still having trouble, you can click 1Password in the toolbar, then the ≡ three-bar menu, then Settings, like this:

Try that instead and see how you get on. :)

• davidpetraz
    davidpetraz
    Community Member
    edited December 2022
    Options

Hi. I'm still having problems with the autofill on Safari on this version. I've done everything described here. I have the app and Safari extension installed and all autofill options enabled in both of them. I also allowed it in my Mac Accessibility settings.

All I'm getiing is this suggestion which is available only when the app is running:
    https://share.cleanshot.com/GoVZAe

Could it be I reinstalled the old 1P version with the new one? Maybe try removing everything and installing again? I don't know what more to do about this.

Thanks for any more advice. David

• Hi @davidpetraz,

Thanks for trying those troubleshooting steps, sorry to hear autofill in Safari still isn't behaving as expected. Since you're seeing an in-line option, could you confirm that the appropriate vaults are selected in the Safari browser extension? Here are the steps:

1. Right-click the 1Password icon in Safari's toolbar
    2. Select "Settings"
    3. In the left side menu of the tab that appears, select "Accounts & Vaults"
    4. Ensure that all the vaults you'd like to see autofill suggestions from are checked

If you're seeing sporadic results across different websites, I'd also recommend creating a test item for https://fill.dev/ to see if you see better results there. It may be the case that certain websites haven't labelled their fields in a way 1Password can read, or their related 1Password items are missing the website fields to connect them.

A fresh install is also an option, I'll share some links if you want to try that route:

Let me know how things go and we can take it from there. 🙂

• davidpetraz
    davidpetraz
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, thanks for the advice. I've reinstalled everything according to the instructions, but still nothing. :/ But just to be clear, I'm talking about the autofill through the keyboard shortcut. I'm getting the in-line option when I click the 1P icon in the field and get the password. But the keyboard shortcut is just dead. All the vaults are enabled for autofill. David

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @davidpetraz, what is the keyboard shortcut that you're using? When you unlock the 1Password app, does the 1Password extension unlock as well, or do you have to unlock the extension separately? Do you ever run into issues where the extension is slow to open or perhaps does not open/work at all?

• davidpetraz
    davidpetraz
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

this are my shortcuts settings:

This is generally what my process looks like:
    https://share.cleanshot.com/UZj8zv

Thanks for checking this. David

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@davidpetraz thanks for the info. From the screen recording, I do see that you have Safari's default password manager enabled. That can interfere with 1Password. Are you able to disable it? Here's how to do that: https://support.1password.com/disable-browser-password-manager/#if-youre-using-safari-mac

After doing that, can you go to our test form at https://fill.dev/form/login-simple? On that form, please type in a fake username and password, and then click to Save in 1Password. Do not submit the login and try to sign in.

Once the login has been saved, please refresh the page and use your keyboard shortcut to to fill the login. Please let me know what happens when you do that.

• davidpetraz
    davidpetraz
    Community Member
    Options

Hi. I've done that and the shortcut is just dead. :( I'm getting the prompt to use my saved password but I have to click it (and I have to be logged in 1P.
    https://share.cleanshot.com/YB3vDf5f

I would like just to use my keyboard shortcut without having to log in to 1P, then get a prompt to log-in and have my password filled in. That's how i worked before I updated to the new version. Thanks for your time, David

• Hey @davidpetraz,

I'm sorry for the ongoing trouble. I wonder if changing the keyboard shortcut back to the default (command+backslash) would make a difference, could you try this and let me know if it changes the behaviour you are seeing at all?

• davidpetraz
    davidpetraz
    Community Member
    Options

Hi. A don't seem to be able to do this. It goes like this:
    https://share.cleanshot.com/yxMQXwSz

Other combinations are OK to type in, but are dead as the shortcut.

• paul.m_1p
    paul.m_1p
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @davidpetraz

That is most certainly odd behaviour. In looking at your recording from the 21st, it looks like the webpage reloads when you tried your keyboard shortcut, so it seems like something is being registered. At this point could you try replicating the behaviour with your Cmd + Option + < shortcut and sending some diagnostics into our support email so we can take a closer look?

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Save a console log for 1Password in your browser

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• davidpetraz
    davidpetraz
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, thanks, I can do that, but just to be clear – nothing commenced the page reload, it was me doing that manually. The shortcut wasn't working so I just reloaded the page to see if it helps. The shortcut is just plain dead and what happens is just nothing. :)

• @davidpetraz

On the off-hand chance did you have 1Password 7 installed? If so, you might consider opening it and setting the shortcuts to something different, quitting it completely and then try to set the shortcut again in 1Password 8. We look forward to hearing from you and looking at the report.

• davidpetraz
    davidpetraz
    Community Member
    Options

First I uninstalled 1P7 and then installed 1P8 and set up the shortcut. I've now tried to change it to a new, different shortcut but it still does nothing.. Should I install 1P7 for the reason of changing to shortcut? It seems quite odd to me to do that. But I will try anything as I need this to work. 1P7 worked much better for me, because this takes time instead of saving it now. Thanks for your help.

• davidpetraz
    davidpetraz
    Community Member
    Options

I also noticed (maybe it's a related issue) that 1P doesn't suggest to save new passwords in Safari when I type in a password somewhere the 1P doesn't have a password for. So far using the new 1P takes a lot of effort and time. Do others also have such issues with it? I would love for it to start working well, otherwise I'm thinking of returning to the old version. Thanks.

• davidpetraz
    davidpetraz
    Community Member
    Options

And also, the Open and fill action in the 1P app isn't working either. It just open the page, not filling in the password. I think it will all be related..

This discussion has been closed.