Setting up Microsoft 365 2FA?

girsch
girsch
Community Member

I am on an airplane and can't get into MS Office. Grrr! I tried setting up the 2FA with their instructions. I got as far as a QR code. But I couldn't get it to work in 1Password. I see in this community that many uses DO have 2FA set up with MS Office. If anyone has instructions/tip, I would really appreciate it.

1Password Version: 8.9.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12.5.1
Browser:_ Safari
Referrer: forum-search:Setting Up Microsoft 365 2FA?

Comments

• Hey there @girsch

My understanding of setting up two-factor authentication for Office 365 is that the first QR code you're shown only works with Microsoft Authenticator and isn't an industry standard-compliant code. I've heard that there's a link on that page to show you a standard TOTP QR code which you can then scan with 1Password in the browser or the main 1Password app.

Go to "My Microsoft account", then Security, and then the Security Dashboard. Click "⊕ Add a new way to sign in or verify", then "Use an app".

You'll then see this page below, and you should click the link I've highlighted to give you an industry-standard code that you can scan using 1Password.

Give that a try and let me know how you get on. I'll be here if you need further help. :)

— Grey

• girsch
    girsch
    Community Member

Thanks, Grey. I think this where I got stuck last time. When I do scan the QR code (with my iPhone) it opens Apple's Password app.

But, when I was googling on 1Password's docs, there was a Twitter example where you click the three vertical dots next to "edit" and there was a place to add a QR code. But I am not seeing that option.

I appreciate your help. Any other ideas.

• GreyM1P
    edited October 2022

@girsch

Glad that helped! And yes, if you're using 1Password in the browser, you can click the ⋮ three-dot menu then "Scan QR Code" which will find the appropriate QR code on the page, add it to the item, and then copy the one-time password to the clipboard, so that you can verify it with the website.

This will work in 1Password in the browser on the desktop and in 1Password in Safari on iOS or iPadOS.

If you're not using 1Password in the browser, but one of the 1Password apps, you'll need to Edit the item, choose "+ add more", then "One-Time Password". This will then give you a new field where you can tap the scanning button to add the QR code to the item. Instructions for that are in the To save your QR code in the 1Password apps section of this article from the 1Password Support website:

Use 1Password as an authenticator for sites with two-factor authentication — To save your QR code in the 1Password apps

If you run into any trouble or have any questions, let me know.

This discussion has been closed.