When I login to 1Password on Ubuntu Linux, the Firefox extension does not unlock

Peter_WangPeter_Wang
Community Member

On Windows 10, when I log into the 1Password desktop app, my Chrome browser extension unlocks at the same time. However, when I login to the desktop app on Ubuntu Linux, my Firefox browser extension does not unlock... I have to login separately, which is not convenient. Suggestions for me?

1Password Version: 8.9.4
Extension Version: 2.3.8
OS Version: Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS
Browser:_ Firefox 105.0.3

Comments

• AliH1PAliH1P

Team Member

Hey @Peter_Wang, thanks for reaching out.

Is the Firefox app installed on your Linux machine the one that's installed by default with Ubuntu 22.04? The reason I ask is that such default installations are packaged using Snap, which sandboxes Firefox and would prevent any browser extensions (like ours) from communicating out to a desktop app like 1Password for Linux. If you're using the default Firefox installation, I think that's the most likely cause for this issue.

Let me know if that's the case!

Ali

• Peter_WangPeter_Wang
    Community Member

That's probably right. How do I reinstall Firefox without the barriers to extension communications?

• Peter_WangPeter_Wang
    Community Member
  • AliH1PAliH1P

Team Member

Hey @Peter_Wang, you can follow the steps listed here: Install Firefox on Linux from Mozilla builds

Be sure to remove the Snap install of Firefox on your system as well! Let me know how that goes or if you have any questions.

Ali

• Peter_WangPeter_Wang
    Community Member
    edited October 16

@AliH1P The install went fine, but when I used the old toolbar icon for Firefox, it kept on launching the Snap install, then I realized I had to abandon that old icon. Everything was fresh, so I put in 1Password extension, reimport my bookmarks, logged into all accounts, and we'll see how it behaves. If you don't hear anything more, it worked. If it fails, to work like Microsoft Windows 10, I'll come back.

• Peter_WangPeter_Wang
    Community Member

@AliH1P well, unlocking the Linux app does not unlock the Firefox extension, and Firefox application binary is in /opt/firefox/firefox-bin. I could just set the extension to never autolock... is that a good idea? What is a security best practice?

• AliH1PAliH1P

Team Member

Hey @Peter_Wang, thanks for getting back to us. I'm sorry to hear you're still encountering issues with the browser and app integration. While you can certainly adjust your auto lock settings, from a security perspective you will just need to be cautious of anyone that may have physical access to your device.

With that said, we'll be happy to investigate this issue further. I'd like to ask you for some logs from your device:

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to [email protected].

With your email please include:

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file