Where is the total password count in vault for 1password for Mac 8.9.4? To compare device info.

Options
dbh11
dbh11
Community Member

Where is the total password count in vault for 1password for Mac 8.9.4? To compare device info and verify all passwords are updating between devices.

1Password Version: 8.9.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12.6
Browser:_ Safari
Referrer: forum-search:total password count in vault

Comments

• Hi there @dbh11

You can find the number of items in a list, such as the All Items list either:

• at the bottom of the list, or
    • in the Sort Options at the top, like this:

Please let me know if you have any questions, or would like any further help. :)

— Grey

• dbh11
    dbh11
    Community Member
    Options

Great...Thanks.

• @dbh11

I'm glad to hear that Grey answered your question. 😊

-Dave

• Sank
    Sank
    Community Member
    Options

Can we show the item count without need to click sort button ? Its more convenient and user friendly (like in previous versions)

• @Sank

At the moment, you can find the item count in the two places that Grey mentioned (in the Sort menu and at the bottom of a list of items).

I'd be happy to forward a feature request on your behalf, can you tell me a little more about how and why you use the item count? 🙂

-Dave

ref: IDEA-I-797

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member
    Options

The item count was available for a couple of days just next to the item it belongs to. Sadly someone at Agilebits decided against this common approach and moved the counts to places where no one will look for them.
    The widely accepted standard would be an item count next to the element with an option to show and hide the count.

• @viswiz

Thank you for your feedback, I've added your vote to the internal tracking item for the feature request.

-Dave

• OAW
    OAW
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P The use case is we want to be able to quickly look at the item counts across categories to ensure that our multiple devices running 1PW have synced everything properly. Forcing us to do this one category at a time with a tap/click on each device is a usability regression anyway you slice it. I've said it before and I'll say it again. I haven't seen a single customer on this forum who requested the removal of this feature. From our perspective it just seems to be AgileBits DEVS who for some unspoken reason seem hellbent on taking it away.

• @OAW

Thank you for the reply. Out of curiosity, have you personally encountered "sync" issues with 1Password 8 where changes made on one device didn't make it to another device? I know that sync issues could happen with older sync methods (especially WLAN sync) but, with 1Password 8's modern service, you should be instantly seeing both new items and changes made to existing items almost instantly on all of your devices.

-Dave

• OAW
    OAW
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P I can't say that I've noticed it with 1PW8. But I'm what you would call an OG user. I've been a customer since 2007 even before the name change and the app was still called "1Passwd". So I've experienced firsthand when things didn't "just work" as expected previously. With something as critical as a password manager it's good to be able to easily verify that your data has synced as expected.

• @OAW

Fair enough, I can definitely appreciate that sentiment and I can see how an item count can provide peace of mind when it comes to ensuring (at a glance) that the same items are available on all of your devices. I see that my colleagues have forwarded your feedback on this to our product team in the past and I've passed along your latest comments as well.

Thanks again for being part of 1Password for so many years! 😊

-Dave

• Mousit
    Mousit
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P

+1 on this too, though I'm probably already noted in your internal tracker since I've made this comment on at least a half-dozen other threads since the initial 1P8 betas. Nonetheless I'd still really, REALLY like to see item counts return to the Sidebar, next to each Category, like it currently works in 1P7. This is so much more user-friendly to see all counts in one single place, and the Sidebar is a natural spot for such a count summary. And yes like the others it is mostly just a "sanity check" kind of deal to me, being able to see the counts on all devices and knowing everything is in sync.

Beyond Categories, it's nice when Watchtower also has an item count next to it in the Sidebar. Admittedly I prefer 1P7's look where Watchtower actually has a Categories sub-list of its own, so you can put a count next to the specific item (such as Compromised Accounts) that has a Watchtower notice. While Categories have made a return to 1P8's Sidebar, Watchtower Categories has not, alas. However even without Watchtower Categories, just having an item count next to the Watchtower main item is handy in the Sidebar. I know there are other ways for Watchtower to get my attention, but seeing an item count is what I personally use as the cue to let me know Watchtower has something it wants to show me.

• Hi @Mousit,

Thanks for the additional details here. You make an interesting point about the Watchtower item count serving as a pseudo notification dot! I'll share your notes here with the team. Let me know if you have any questions. 🙂

ref: IDEA-I-797

• jdcola
    jdcola
    Community Member
    Options

@andrew.l_1P Any progress? Half a year passed...

• Hi @jdcola,

Thanks for following up about this, though I'm afraid I don't have any updates to share at the moment. If you're open to telling us more about your use case and why it would be helpful for you to see item counts in the sidebar of the 1Password app, I'm happy to add your thoughts to our internal tracker on the topic.

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member
    Options

Why do you still refuse to bring back the most common approach of item counts, i. e. a count just next to the item it belongs to. Really (almost) all applications that have item counts implement them in this way. No need to reinvent the wheel. Add an option to show/hide them and your are done. It's really that simple.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@viswiz

Thank you for your feedback. I've previously passed along your request for an item count in the sidebar here. 🙂

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.