How to set a SHARED vault as the default vault for all new LOGIN entries to 1Password?

Options
AMCarter3
AMCarter3
Community Member
edited October 2022 in Mac

I have a Personal vault and a shared Vault (shared with my wife). I want to have ALL new LOGIN entries in 1Password entered into our SHARED vault. I cannot find a way to do this and every new entry seems to, by default, be entered into my Personal vault. I discover this only later when I can't find a new entry in our Shared vault and have to manually move the new entry to our Shared vault. How can I have all new LOGIN entries automatically default to our shared vault. Is there a pref. setting that I simply can't find?

1Password Version: 8.9.4
Extension Version: 2.3.8
OS Version: 12.6
Browser:_ Firefox
Referrer: forum-search:how to set default vault?

Comments

• @AMCarter3

This is not possible at this time within the Mac app, as in a manually created item. You can however set 1Password in the browser to save logins to your desired location.

1. Right-click on the toolbar icon and select settings.

1. In general select your desired save vault.

• AMCarter3
    AMCarter3
    Community Member
    edited October 2022
    Options

I already had my browser 1P setting set to save to our shared Vault. What baffles me is that generally (like 99% of the time) I create new logins from my browser, not from the app. Only seldom do I create a new login account from the app. Yet, I constantly find new entries in my Personal vault.

• AMCarter3
    AMCarter3
    Community Member
    Options

Tommy, any further suggestions on this?

• AMCarter3
    AMCarter3
    Community Member
    edited October 2022
    Options

And, are there any "Settings" on the 1P mobile app? I can't find them... oops, just found them "buried" under the odd icon in the upper left corner. I will add that there was nothing about that icon (in my view) to suggest it contains access to anything. I suggest that icon could be vastly improved so its purpose is more obvious to the user.

• Hi @AMCarter3,

Sorry to hear this workaround is behaving in unexpected ways, this may be related to how the 1Password browser extension integrates with the main app. Are you creating these new logins by clicking the blue + New Item button in the browser extension window:

Or by clicking Save in 1Password or a suggested generated password in the inline menu of sign up pages:

The former, if integration to the main app is active, routes the user back to the app and therefore places new items in the last vault used there. To more consistently see new items appear in your selected vault, I recommend creating items via the in line menus, both will open a new window where you can edit your details before saving them.

Let me know how this goes! I'll also share your feedback about the iOS menu with the team, appreciate you sharing your findings. 🙂

• AMCarter3
    AMCarter3
    Community Member
    Options

I create new login's in both places (my browser or my 1P app from menubar). Either way, if I simply click on SAVE after creating the login, it defaults to my Personal vault. I have to click on the name of our shared vault BEFORE clicking on SAVE in order to save the new login to our shared vault. I was and am still asking if there is a way to make our shared vault the absolute default for all new logins. (I don't do new logins very often and if I'm in a rush, I forget to select our shared vault. Then I get caught wondering where did that new login go??)

• nealzip
    nealzip
    Community Member
    Options

@AMCarter3 I agree there should be a way to do a default vault. I have been using 1password with my Wife for many years not realizing that the Safari Extension was Configurable. Never thought to right click on extension. I hope 1Password considers adding a default vault feature. Getting Family and Friends to use a password manager is hard enough. Complicated user interfaces don't help.

• Hi @AMCarter3 and @nealzip,

Thanks for your replies and feedback here. At this time it's only possible to set a default vault within the 1Password browser extension, which will only apply to those items created via the in line options while integration to the app is turned on. This is my recommendation for the time being.

I recognize the value in expanding this option to cover the apps as well and would welcome it myself. I'm unable to share specifics at the moment but hope to bring you more news about this in the future. 🙂

ref: IDEA-I-292

• mackworth
    mackworth
    Community Member
    Options

I came here with this exact question. I note that the first item I saw was this request from 2015. Let me add my request to the stack. Seven years seems like enough time to finish implementing a default vault.

• AMCarter3
    AMCarter3
    Community Member
    Options

Andrew, could you please clarify what "items created via the in line options while integration to the app is turned on" means? What does "in line options" in particular mean?

• @AMCarter3

Andrew was referring to this dialog box that you'll see when using 1Password in the browser:

The "Save in 1Password" button there will obey the "Save new items in" preference that you've chosen in the 1Password extension's Settings, as per Tommy's instructions above.

I hope that clarifies it, but let me know if you need any more help. :)

• @AMCarter3

Beta for you? https://releases.1password.com/mac/beta/#1password-for-mac-8.9.10-9

You can now choose a default vault to save new items in.

• AMCarter3
    AMCarter3
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, thank you!

• Let us know how the beta goes if you try it out, @AMCarter3!

@nealzip @mackworth

Giving you folks a ping as well in case you want to try it out. 😊

This discussion has been closed.