iPadOS 16.1 Watchtower crash [Fixed. Please see the approved answer for details.]

Comments

• EIP_smart
    EIP_smart
    Community Member

Just before a I opened 1Password on my iPad Pro (12,9 Zoll, 3. Generation) with SW v. 16.1.1. to clean up some logins. After the first correction I confirmed the popup regarding the allowance to send failure logs to 1Password. Then I opened Watchtower to see what‘s waiting for correction. First I opened the point „open …. (right corner) with 2 open items. 1 of them I solved and then the tragedy started. Every time I tried to open the App on my iPad it crashed. Than I closed all open app‘s and shut down my iPad and started new. Again the same crashes appeared. So now I‘ll need your help….please.
    As I can not look into the version on my iPad I suppose I have as always the latest version like on all other devices this must be

1Password Version: 8.9.7
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: iPadOS 16.1.1
    Browser:_ App 1Password
    Referrer: forum-search:After using Watchtower on iPad (v 16.1.1) the app doesn’t open any more with Face ID, had 20+ crash

• Hi there @kathor

From what you describe, it sounds like you've encountered a bug in 1Password for iPad relating to the multi-column view in Watchtower. A fix for this bug will be included in the next update to 1Password for iOS, which we expect to be published very soon. Sorry for the inconvenience.

In the meantime (as you've found), reinstalling 1Password is a workaround. However, opening a private link from your iPad will also bypass the part of the 1Password app that's causing the crash, and that's a bit less invasive than a reinstall. If you can use another device to generate a private link to one of your items, then open that link on your iPad, you may well be able to bypass the crashing part of 1Password on your iPad and get it back to a working state. To find a private link, open an item on another device, then click or tap the ⋮ three-dot menu, and choose "Copy Private Link". You could then AirDrop that from another Apple device to your iPad, or paste it into the Notes app, onto your calendar, or anywhere similar that you can use to transfer the link across.

Please let me know if you have any questions, or would like any further help.

— Grey

• postak
    postak
    Community Member

Not good to have this bug open for two months for a subscription based service

• VineRider
    VineRider
    Community Member

Any update on when this will be fixed?

• Hi all. We've done all the work necessary to fix the bug, and we're just waiting on some other things to line up so that you'll get the update. We hope it'll be available very soon. Thanks for your continued patience.

• CMRater
    CMRater
    Community Member

Did this get solved or just closed?

• mrkrogers
    mrkrogers
    Community Member

Hi @GreyM1P

Any update on this fix? I’m experiencing this issue and am curious when a fix will be available.

Cheers

• PBAdams
    PBAdams
    Community Member

I’m on the latest 1Password and iPadOS. Attempting to view Watchtower crashes 1Password consistently. Any tips to fix this? Anyone else seeing this behaviour?

OS Version: iPadOS 16.2
    Browser:_ Safari

• @mrkrogers – Our development team have done everything they need to for an update to solve that bug, and we're now just waiting on other things to line up so that it can be made available to our customers. We're hoping it won't take long. :)

• RonnyC
    RonnyC
    Community Member

Hopefully it gets fixed one of these days because it is a very annoying bug…

• BillL1
    BillL1
    Community Member

I just signed up for 1password and am getting the same crash on my iPad when I enter watchtower. Once it crashes, it will not start again. If I wait a few hours or just uninstall/reinstall it will work again. It looks like you have a fix identified so I’m guessing you don’t need any diagnostics from me? If that is not correct and you do want diagnostics, please let me know.

• @CMRater – Solved from our end! Hopefully the update will be made available without much delay. :)

@RonnyC – I hope so too! It's a showstopper for our customers and I want to see the fix in people's hands as soon as possible.

@BillL1 – The Watchtower tab is what causes this particular bug, so I'd suggest using it on another device (which will work just fine) or through 1Password.com if you need to use Watchtower. Our development team have already built the fix, so we're all good on the diagnostics front, but thanks for the offer!

• bjskelly
    bjskelly
    Community Member

Device: iPad Mini 5th Gen
    1Password: 8.9.7

The app crashes when tapping on Watchtower/Compromised Websites/Show Items. Subsequently, the app crashes immediately after launching. Removing the app, rebooting the iPad, and downloading a fresh copy of the app from the App Store does not resolve the problem, with the exception that I can launch the app without crashing. Using Compromised Websites again causes a crash.

OS Version: iPad OS 16.2
    Browser:_ 1Password App
    Referrer: forum-search:1Password8 iOS app crashes after taping Watchtower/Compromised Websites/Show Items

• chaddb
    chaddb
    Community Member

Seeing this as well. I removed the app and reinstalled from ten AppStore and it started working again.

• richardscott76
    richardscott76
    Community Member

Same problem

• Hi all.

Yes, this is a known bug with the current version of 1Password for iOS. The fix for it will be included in the next update. Sorry for the inconvenience it's caused.

— Grey

• ashear
    ashear
    Community Member

Problem still seems to be there.

• CMRater
    CMRater
    Community Member

Good to know that this issue has been solved, what is taking so long to implement.

• GordonP
    GordonP
    Community Member

For some reason whenever I access the 1Password app on my iPad it keeps crashing after I’ve logged in. I’ve tried reinstalling but no joy. It was working on until this afternoon and it still works ok on my iPhone and on the PC. Any suggestion on what to try?

OS Version: ipad os 16.2
    Browser:_ Not Provided
    Referrer: forum-search:iPad app crashes

• antro31
    antro31
    Community Member

Hi all,
    Newbie on 1Password, I have installed it on my iPad (IOS 16.2), application seems to worked fine until I accessed the list of duplicate passwords from Watchtower. Application then crashed, trying to relaunch it is impossible. It systematically crashes after I enter the pin (TouchID in my case).
    I had to reinstall it completely to have it working again.
    Any idea?

• GordonP
    GordonP
    Community Member
    edited January 2023

Also the safari extension on the same device is working ok

• Marty999
    Marty999
    Community Member

When will the update happen?

• YeroonL
    YeroonL
    Community Member
    edited January 2023

The same problems here:
    On iPad with IpadOS 16.1 and also on IpadOS 16.2 the 1Password 8 app crashes when Touch ID is enabled.
    the problem on my iPad was triggered after selecting the Watchtower function.
    Then the app closes immediately and it keeps crashing/closing after the fingerprint validation.

When deinstalling and reinstallation of 1Password it seems the app works fine when Touch ID is NOT enabled.
    Please fix this ASAP, this is very annoying.

I read in other topics/sites that this problem existed before. Not sure if iPadOS 16.1 or 1Password8 caused this problem again. Could be a combination of both.

I hope it’s possible to improve your software testing procedures, I’m convinced this particular problem should be avoided. People and businesses are really depending on 1Password in everyday life.
    Don’t release when Touch ID is not properly tested and 100% working.
    It can lockout people from urgent access to information systems on crucial moments.

It very easy to underestimate the impact of this bug.

Please give us some info when this will be fixed.

• GordonP
    GordonP
    Community Member

Yes I also used the watchtower function just before

• CMRater
    CMRater
    Community Member

Interesting that they say they have it solved but don’t seem able to implement a fix. Thought I was transitioning to a superior product platform?

• nsbadger
    nsbadger
    Community Member

I am unable to use watchtower in iPad. Current software for both iPad and the app. Every time I click the button to open watchtower, it immediately crashes the app without fail. Please help fix this bug!

This discussion has been closed.