Same issue
    Apple M2 Max - macOS Ventura 13.4.1 (c)
    1Password for Mac 8.10.8 (81008045)
    Apple Watch Series 4 - watchOS 9.5.2
    ^ all software is currently on the latest version

• ag_tommy
    edited July 2023
    Options

Noted for the team @homebrewcrew Thanks.

• mixture
    mixture
    Community Member
    edited August 2023
    Options

Ventura 13.5 (MacBook Pro 16" M2 Max)
    WatchOS 9.6 (Apple Watch Ultra)
    1Password 8.10.9

I still have this issue.

Mac itself unlocks 100% of the time with the Watch.

After Mac has been unlocked with the watch, 1Password unlock with the Watch works about maybe 50% of time immediately, and for the remaining 50% it will take about 20-30 minutes before it starts working (if I don't do anything in terms of switching Watch unlock feature on and off). For the 1Password unlocking with Watch starting to work, I never need to do anything specific, just wait that approx 20-30 minutes after Mac has been unlocked with the Watch. And indeed about 50% of times the 1Password unlock also works instantly after unlocking the Mac with the Watch.

I don't put my Mac to sleep, I only turn my display off with the hot corner. So this issue isn't just related to sleep, waking from sleep, and unlocking, but also if the display has been long enough off.

I would say if the display has been only off for an hour or so, I rarely if ever encounter the 1Password not being able to be unlocked with the Watch for the first 20-30 mins or so. The issue usually happens overnight when the display has been off for several hours or when I've just otherwise been away from the computer for several hours and the display has been off.

Anyway, it's still frustrating and shouldn't be this unreliable. Why does the Mac unlock itself with the Watch work every time, but not 1Password? There's a bug somewhere, and I'm not surprised if it's in Apple's own code, and not 1Password's. Hopefully it gets fixed with the Sonoma release.

• GreyM1P
    edited August 2023
    Options

@mixture

Sorry to hear you're still having trouble with this.

Why does the Mac unlock itself with the Watch work every time, but not 1Password?

Although I'm not familiar with the inner workings of macOS, I do know that unlocking 1Password requires the use of your Mac's Secure Enclave chip, whereas unlocking your Mac doesn't. That means that although these two actions of using your Apple Watch to unlock something look very similar, they're being handled very differently by macOS. Unlocking your Mac when it's asleep or in screen saver isn't decryption, it's access control. Unlocking 1Password, however, is always a decryption task which needs a decryption key stored in the Secure Enclave.

We also have to keep in mind that 1Password can't do any detection of your Apple Watch. That's all down to macOS, and it has to report whether there's an Apple Watch connected or not each time 1Password asks. Any and all use of biometrics (which includes Apple Watch in this case) must be co-ordinated by macOS and the Secure Enclave.

There's a parallel here with Touch ID. If you have a Touch ID-enabled Mac attached to an external display, keyboard, and mouse, you won't be prompted to use Touch ID to unlock 1Password if the lid is closed. This isn't because 1Password knows the lid is closed (and that therefore, the Touch ID sensor is unavailable). It's because macOS knows, and responds to 1Password with a "biometrics not available"-type message when 1Password asks if it's available. In those cases, 1Password will fall back to asking for your account password to unlock.

From what we know so far, it seems like macOS isn't always reporting the Apple Watch's availability to 1Password accurately, which manifests itself as if 1Password seemingly not working as you'd expect, even though 1Password has no way of knowing whether your Apple Watch is out of range, switched off, or if it had been unpaired from the Mac, or is unavailable for some other reason. Because of the Mac's security architecture, 1Password has to take what macOS says as the truth, since it has no way to verify otherwise, and if that "upstream" information isn't accurate, 1Password will believe it.

We're hopeful that Apple can get to the bottom of why this is happening and remediate it so that apps like 1Password, or any others that unlock with Apple Watch, won't face this problem in the long term.

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member
    Options

This is definitely a 1Password problem; please stop blaming Apple.

Whenever 1Password will not unlock with Apple Watch I try other apps (with Apple Watch unlock functionality) and they all unlock just fine. I then try 1Password again which it continues to not unlock.

I've just done it again right now...

I am so frustrated with 1Password being in denial over this which also means it will never be fixed.

• Dave_1P
    edited September 2023
    Options

@JamesHenderson

I'm sorry for the frustration. The development team is continuing to investigate the issue and there are improvements in the latest nightly versions of 1Password for Mac that are being tested. So that we can see if one of these improvements may help you can you please wait until you encounter the issue again and then I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

Please send the entire file.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#18393

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member
    Options

That good to hear and will do.

• @JamesHenderson

Thank you! Once you send in the diagnostics report please post the Support ID here and I'll make sure that it makes it to the right team. 🙂

-Dave

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member
    Options

sorry - I keep forgetting to do this, but there have been plenty of reoccurances...

• @JamesHenderson

We'll keep on eye out so that we catch your diagnostics report as soon as you are able to send it in. 🙂

-Dave

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member
    Options

It's happening right now. My Mac is unlocking, 1Password is not.

I've just emailed the diagnostic report.

• @JamesHenderson

Thank you for sending in the diagnostics report, I see that my colleague and you have already started a conversation to investigate the issue on your Mac further. Please continue the discussion there. 🙂

-Dave

ref: VVI-26511-573

• tormodg
    tormodg
    Community Member
    Options

My Apple Watch Ultra (1) unlocks my Mac M2, but never works with 1Password 8. If I click the watch icon in the unlock screen, a popup briefly flashes for a millisecond and the main login window shakes. It's been like this for so long that I'm considering either ditching 1Password on my personal Mac, or getting a touch-id keyboard (which is too expensive atm).

• @tormodg

The Mac unlock works directly on the device and 1Passwords Apple Watch Unlock works through an Apple API. This could explain the differences you see. Please check to ensure that no focuses are active. It sounds like one may be. I've found a few of mine get turned on for some odd reason. I've gone to not sharing focuses between my Mac and my phone. My culprit is often Sleep and also Do not Disturb. With focus sharing off on the Mac now I don't encounter this that often.

• Experiments
    Experiments
    Community Member
    Options

Any news on this? This still only works about 50% of the time for me...oddly, when it stops working, I put my mac to sleep & then wake it up again straight away & it starts working again...sadly it'll stop working again over course of the next few hours...

• @Experiments

I'm sorry that you're still seeing the issue. Our developers have implemented several improvements to the Apple Watch unlock process to mitigate many of the issues that have been reported to us. We've also filed feedback with Apple to report issues with certain APIs.

So that we can investigate the specific issue on your Mac, and confirm whether you're affected by the known issues that our team has identified, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

Please send the entire file.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

-Dave

• Experiments
    Experiments
    Community Member
    Options

The support id is [#ZPW-81152-919]

• Thanks @Experiments It's here. Someone will be with you as soon as possible.

ref: ZPW-81152-919