Safari extension doesn't use TouchID any more? And aggressively locks itself?

johnnynoble
johnnynoble
Community Member
edited November 2022 in 1Password in the Browser

That's it. The Safari extension doesn't ever prompt for TouchID. I'm sure it used to? What's going on?

And it now locks itself whenever I blink. Lock lock lock. I've checked my settings. They do not tell it to do that.

Also it's slow now, my god. I never used to see that 'Loading' spinner. Just now I watched it for well over a second. I'm on a M1 MBP.

I hate to be someone else that says that it was better in the old days but, y'know what. 1Password used to be a piece of software that I never really thought about. It just worked. Now, eh, not so much. It's getting boring. But what other option do I have, migrate a decade of data elsewhere? I tell you, I would if I could. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1Password Version: 8.9.8
Extension Version: 2.4.0
OS Version: 12.6
Browser:_ Safari 16.0
Referrer: forum-search:Safari extension aggressively locks, and never uses TouchID

Comments

• earthtrip
    earthtrip
    Community Member

I have this same problem and was just about to ask what's going on. This is on Mac OS Ventura so if I think back I think that was when this started for me (note that Safari 16.1 is available on prior versions of Mac OS as well.

Basically I can open 1password the application and use Touch ID to open it.. I have it opened and unlocked and then I go to safari and click the icon in the tool bar and not only is locked but it's asking for the password and doesn't allow for TouchId. And as the OP stated it spins for 15 seconds before the password field appears in the dialog box that shows on the safari toolbar.

Please advise how to workaround this issue.

• eljt1
    eljt1
    Community Member

Having the same issue. It was so fast previously it was like I didn't even notice it in my workflow. Now it's painful. Also on an M1 and it either takes 10-15 seconds to open, or won't at all. Clicking the toolbar in Safari often does nothing, or just tell me it's locked, and I can't use TouchID to open either.

• Hey @johnnynoble, @earthtrip, @eljt1,

I'm sorry for the trouble!

In all three cases it sounds like 1Password in Safari may be having a hard time connecting with your 1Password desktop app. Can you give the steps below a try and let me know if it improves things:

1. Right click the little 1Password icon on the top menu bar of your Mac (where the clock is) and select "Quit".
    2. Quit Safari by right clicking its icon in the Dock and selecting "Quit".
    3. Open and unlock 1Password.
    4. Open Safari and test if it is working properly.

Let me know if this helps and if not we can continue to troubleshoot.

• earthtrip
    earthtrip
    Community Member

I tried all those and no luck. Restarting my MacBook Pro fixed it.

• Zenek73
    Zenek73
    Community Member

I've just returned to 1P 7. Now it works as it should :/

• @earthtrip, thanks for the update, I hope things are smooth sailing from here on!

@Zenek73, I apologise for the disruption. If you are interested in giving it another try I'd be keen to help get things working as they should be.

This discussion has been closed.