Unable to copy passwords from 1Password in Safari

SystemSystem

Team Member
This discussion was created from comments split from: Paste Text v8 ios.

Comments

• albiealbie
    Community Member

I have the reverse problem. If I open 1P v8 from the browser icon (iPhone or iPad), go to the password field and choose copy, then go back to Safari, there’s nothing to paste even though it said it copied. Then if I open another app - Notes, Word, email, etc., I can paste the password…so have to do that, then copy it again, and then paste it into the browser. Pretty sure this is a v8 problem, as I’m still on iPad OS 15, not 16.

• Dave_1PDave_1P

Team Member

Hello @albie! 👋

I'm sorry that you're running into trouble copying passwords from 1Password in Safari. The issue seems to be that the copy function permissions get confused after an update, our team is working with Apple to try to improve this situation. Can you try following these steps to see if we can get copying working again?

1. Open the Settings app.
    2. Tap Safari.
    3. Tap Extensions.
    4. Tap 1Password.
    5. Tap Other Websites.
    6. Tap/select Ask.
    7. Switch back to Safari (the app).
    8. Tap the aA / puzzle piece icon.
    9. Tap 1Password.
    10. Tap Allow.

At that point you should be able to copy info from within the 1Password extension. 🙂

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#9820

• albiealbie
    Community Member

Hi @Dave_1P . Just tried this and it still doesn’t work :-(

I did as you instructed, opened 1Password, and when I click on the password, it says Copied Password. But it didn’t - in any app (Safari, email, etc.) there is nothing to paste, so it didn’t actually copy anything. This effectively makes the whole tool rather useless, since one of the main reasons I got it is to use randomly generated passwords…but then I have to write them on a piece of paper and key them in manually if I want to use them.

Also, in 1Password, it is only giving me the option to “Open and Fill” (on the one I’m trying to do). Sometimes “Autofill” is an option, but not on this. However, the website I want to use it on (an airline site) has a “choose your country” pop-up before you can get to the login info, so the “Open and Fill” doesn’t work either.

I’m on an iPad Pro running iOS 15.6.1, although I’ll upgrade soon to iPad OS 16.

• Dave_1PDave_1P

Team Member

@albie

I'm sorry that the workaround steps didn't work, they help some users but not others. Our developers are investigating the issue and we hope to include a fix in a future update. As of this writing, I don't have a timeline of when a fix will be released. I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

I do recommend updating to the latest version of iPadOS, let me know if that improves the situation.

Also, in 1Password, it is only giving me the option to “Open and Fill” (on the one I’m trying to do). Sometimes “Autofill” is an option, but not on this. However, the website I want to use it on (an airline site) has a “choose your country” pop-up before you can get to the login info, so the “Open and Fill” doesn’t work either.

Can you change the website address currently saved in the Login Item inside of 1Password to one that directly links to the airline site's login page (skipping the choose your country pop-up)?

-Dave

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file