1Password 8 and iOS 16: "Set Up Verification Codes Using..."

mixturemixture
Community Member
edited November 8 in iOS

Hey.

In Settings -> Passwords -> Password Options there is iCloud and 1Password listed for "Allow filing from" (I have iCloud de-selected and 1Password selected), but under "Set up verification codes using" there are options for only iCloud and Authy, with iCloud selected by default.

Why is there no 1Password available for "Set up verification codes using"? I'd like to use 1Password.

And does this matter? Could it be a good thing if 1Password was listed and supported for the verification codes?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hey @mixture

1Password supports saving/generating time-based one-time password codes (TOTP) for 3rd party sites/services. You can set up a Google account to enable two-factor authentication through an authenticator app - 1Password will save it and use to generate and fill those credentials when signing in. You can follow along with the steps in this support article.

1Password can't integrate with SMS or other non-TOTP forms of authentication, however, so if this is a separate one-time security code being sent to your phone or email, 1Password won't be able to assist here.

Thanks, Catherine πŸ™‚

• simonwhitakersimonwhitaker
    Community Member

I just came to ask the same question. I'd love this feature!

Community Member

@Catherine_F1P This feature in iOS 16 allows third party apps (e.g. Instagram uses it) to trigger creation of TOTP codes in a separate authenticator app. Google Authenticator, Authy and Microsoft Authenticator are all supported. It would be great if 1Password was also supported.

• Dave_1PDave_1P

Team Member

@simonwhitaker

As you mentioned, this feature is currently just for ingesting OTP seeds which we're looking at and I've let the product team know that both you and @mixture would like to see 1Password support this in the future.

In the meantime, the 1Password Safari iOS extension already does for you:

Thank you for the feedback! πŸ™‚

-Dave

ref: IDEA-I-2257

• hegguardohegguardo
    Community Member

Please add my name to the list of supporters for this idea πŸ’‘

• Dave_1PDave_1P

Team Member

@hegguardo

Added! 😊

-Dave

Community Member

@Dave_1P Amazing! Thank you :)

• Dave_1PDave_1P

Team Member

@simonwhitaker

To clarify, I've added hegguardo to the internal list of supporters for the idea. It hasn't been added to 1Password yet. πŸ™‚

-Dave

• hollabithollabit
    Community Member
    edited November 26

Add my vote to this one. I was trying to set up 2fa "automatically" for a social app and it brought me to an icloud keychain screen. After some quick digging I realized 1Password doesn't let you select it as the default authenticator app on iOS, which is a bummer. Setting it up manually is tedious.

As said above, you can find this setting under Settings > Passwords > Password Options

• Dave_1PDave_1P

Team Member

@hollabit

Thank you for the feedback, I've passed it along to the product team. πŸ™‚

For now, most apps will give you a string of characters you can copy and paste into the 1Password app instead: Use 1Password as an authenticator for sites with two-factor authentication

-Dave

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file