1P Chrome extension: Lock screen disappears when extension invoked

What happens:
1. Click 1P browser extension toolbar button to launch 1P extension while 1P is locked
2. Opens (A) small browser extension panel with loading indicator, and then opens (B) big 1P locked screen with password entry, then (B) disappears.
3. Clicking the browser toolbar button again repeats (A) then (B), which then persists and allows password entry.

What I expected:
(B) should not disappear the first time.

This is repeatable across restarts of 1P, the browser and the whole computer, and has persisted since the version version of 1P 8 that I tried, months ago.

1Password Version: 8.9.8 (80908009)
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: macOS 12.6.1
Browser:_ Chrome 107.0.5304.87
Referrer: forum-search:1password disappears

Comments

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Hey @h3h !

It looks like you are using 1Password v8 and the classic browser extension. Both are not compatible. 1PW8 is not supporting the classic extension. You have to use 1Password in the browser extension v2.4.x. that you can get here:
    https://1password.com/downloads/windows/#browsers

• h3h
    h3h
    Community Member

Oh, good catch. I actually had both installed. I have the "1Password - Password Manager 2.4.1" extension now.

Same problem persists.

• Hey @h3h,

It sounds like 1Password in your browser may be having hard time communicating with your 1Password desktop app. Can you try the below steps and let us know if it improves things:

1. Right click the little 1Password icon on the top menu bar of your Mac (where the clock is) and select "Quit".
    2. Quit Chrome by right clicking its icon in the Dock and selecting "Quit".
    3. Open and unlock 1Password.
    4. Open Chrome and test if it is working properly.

Let us know how you get on!

• h3h
    h3h
    Community Member

Hi,

If I unlock 1Password before opening Chrome, the extension opens the 1P browser dialog immediately, as expected.

But if I open Chrome before opening or unlocking 1P (a common use case), I still see the behavior I described above.

• paul.m_1p
    paul.m_1p
    1Password Alumni

Hey @h3h Thanks for following up. 🙂

It sounds like the browser extension is having some issues spawning the 1Password app window properly to complete the unlock sequence. Could you check if you have the following setting enabled in the 1Password app?

1. Open the 1Password app.
    2. Left click '1Password' in the top left corner and select 'Preferences'.
    3. Under the General section ensure 'Keep 1Password in the menu bar' is checked.

If that wasn't turned on, try fully restarting the app and your browser, and then test again. If the issue persists, I'd be happy to get some diagnostics and dig in further. Here's what to do if that's the case:

1. First, please recreate the issue you're seeing.
    2. Then save a console log for 1Password in the browser using the steps here -> Save a console log for 1Password in your browser
    3. Lastly, generate a diagnostic report from the 1Password app (desktop app) using the steps here -> How to send a 1Password diagnostics report

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

This discussion has been closed.