1Password for Safari asking for password every time on iOS 16.1 or later

System
edited March 2023 in iOS
This discussion was created from comments split from: Safari Extension Started Asking For Password For Every Auto Fill [SOLVED].

Comments

• Yabasugiru
    Yabasugiru
    Community Member
    edited October 2022

Normally this doesn’t bother me too much as the apple keyboard password pop up works for this too, but for when there are 2fa fields, I am still forced to type in my master password (which i really hate typing in public)

Is it possible to enable Face ID for safari extension?
    Also I think this was a feature in 1pass7? Correct me if I’m wrong.

1pass v8.9.6
    iOS 16.1 (20B82)
    iPhone 14 Pro Max

• Hello @Yabasugiru.

You are correct, this was also available in version 7. It's not possible to enable Face ID as we’ve temporarily disabled it (and Touch ID) for the 1Password for Safari extension due to changes in iOS 16. We understand the importance of biometrics, with the security and convenience it offers, and are working with our partners at Apple.

If you have any other questions, please let us know. Thanks!

• mdj1
    mdj1
    Community Member

The Safari extension in 1Password 8 is broken, or implemented very poorly, on iPhones and iPads. The 1Password icon, now appearing in the search bar, can no longer be unlocked by fingerprint or face recognition; it requires typing in the password. It could be left unsecured, but that is a poor solution. A workaround is to turn off the extension, go to system settings -> Passwords -> Autofill Passwords and select 1Password. Then it works more or less like it used to, using biometrics.

• Hi @mdj1

There was a change made by Apple in iOS 16 which meant that 1Password couldn't use Face ID or Touch ID in the Safari extension in the right way, so we've had to temporarily turn it off. It looks like iOS 16.1 contains further changes which mean that we can bring it back, so our development team are currently working on reimplementing it. It's not just a case of turning it back on, unfortunately – we need to make it work a different way – so it's taking a bit of work to do. There's no ETA just yet, but it's a very high priority for the development team and I'm hoping we will have something to announce pretty soon.

As you've found, using iOS's built-in Password AutoFill like you do in other apps will serve as a workaround for the time being. With any luck, it won't be for long. :)

— Grey

• @mdj1

I have some good news to share. 1Password for iOS/iPadOS 8.9.7 was just released and brings back biometric unlock to 1Password for Safari:

• You can now use Face ID and Touch ID to unlock 1Password in Safari after updating to iOS 16.1 or later. #17988

I recommend that you update using the App Store. You can find our guide on how to update here: How to keep 1Password up to date

You'll also need to update to iOS / iPadOS 16.1 or later: Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support (CA)

Let me know if you run into any issues. 🙂

-Dave

• @Yabasugiru

I have some good news to share. 1Password for iOS/iPadOS 8.9.7 was just released and brings back biometric unlock to 1Password for Safari:

• You can now use Face ID and Touch ID to unlock 1Password in Safari after updating to iOS 16.1 or later. #17988

I recommend that you update using the App Store. You can find our guide on how to update here: How to keep 1Password up to date

You'll also need to update to iOS / iPadOS 16.1 or later: Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support (CA)

Let me know if you run into any issues. 🙂

-Dave

• obrejla
    obrejla
    Community Member

Hi. Latest version of 1Password on latest iOS and iPadOS and face id in safari still does not work. Even though release note say that it is fixed. Thx.

• @obrejla

I'm sorry to hear that Face ID is still not working to unlock 1Password for Safari on your iPhone/iPad. Can you try the following steps:

1. Restart your iPhone/iPad.
    2. Fully close Safari on iOS.
    3. Fully close 1Password on iOS.
    4. Open and unlock the main 1Password app from your home screen.
    5. Open Safari and go to any webpage.
    6. Tap on the AA icon in the address bar.
    7. Tap on 1Password in the menu.
    8. Follow the prompt to unlock 1Password for Safari with Face ID.

Let me know if you're still unable to unlock 1Password for Safari using Face ID.

-Dave

• Yabasugiru
    Yabasugiru
    Community Member

@Dave_1P

I have gotten the update, and am very happy to see it back

Thank you guys!

• zffxvr
    zffxvr
    Community Member

I’ve updated and followed the advice in Dave’s post and it still doesn’t show any FaceID unlock when I open the extension. Just asks for my master password.

• @zffxvr

Have you updated to iOS 16.1 and are you able to unlock the main 1Password app using Face ID? If the answer to both is yes then I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your iOS device:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (iOS)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

The report will be in zip format. Please send the entire file.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• ings
    ings
    Community Member

The “fix” doesn’t work for me either on iPadOS, and I’m usually the “works for me” person! Yes, everything has been relaunched/restarted/updated.

Houston, I think we have a problem. 😀

• ings
    ings
    Community Member

Update: I got the fix to work on iPadOS by uninstalling 1Password, rebooting, and reinstalling. All good now.

• zffxvr
    zffxvr
    Community Member

VQQ-73484-163

• obrejla
    obrejla
    Community Member

@Dave_1P Thx, did try all the restarts and it does not work. Face ID works just for opening the app from home screen, but not at all from Safari.

• mdj1
    mdj1
    Community Member

Thank you. I set the timeout to the shortest choice (15 minutes), and it seems to work. That's important for security - thank you for fixing it. I would prefer the ability to require re-authentication in a much shorter time - 1 minute, or even instantaneously.

• @mdj1

I'm happy to hear that everything is working again. 🙂

-Dave

• @zffxvr

Thank you for the Support ID. I've replied to your email and I suggest that we continue the conversation there.

ref: VQQ-73484-163

@ings

I'm happy that everything is working well on your iPad.

-Dave

• @obrejla

I'm sorry that Face ID is still not working to unlock 1Password for Safari. I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your iOS device:

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• obrejla
    obrejla
    Community Member
    edited November 2022

Hi @Dave_1P Diagnostic sent. Number: [#JAZ-34617-168]

• @obrejla

Thank you for the Support ID. I've replied to your email, let's continue the conversation there. 🙂

-Dave

ref: JAZ-34617-168

• frogywill
    frogywill
    Community Member

Good job you guys fixed it for a week. But now it’s broken again. Try harder ? Going on 3 months now…. Do you guys not use your own product ?

• gordon3834
    gordon3834
    Community Member

Back to having this issue again. Was fixed for a few days and now broken again. Uninstalling does not resolve it. Running iOS 16.1.1.

• pappjo
    pappjo
    Community Member

I was having a new issue with 1PW 7 on my iPad Pro. I have been using 1PW 8 on my phone for a week now with no issues. On the ipad with 7 all of a sudden I was getting the “couldn’t communicate with the app” message when trying to access the Safari extension, entering my password was rejected and that message was returned. I was able to resolve it temporarily by force quitting Safari but it would reoccur some time later again so I believe the issue may have been with Safari. But because of the good experience on my phone I installed 8 on the ipad and deleted 7. There have been no issues with it, Face ID unlocks the main app every time and I’ve only had to unlock the Safari extension by Face ID once, this morning actually, with no issue. So far very pleased even though I don’t see any greater utility to the app than I did with 7 but that’s specific to my usage. But it is nice not to be having any issues. Why my issue with 7 began happening all of a sudden I don’t know but again it could have been specific to Safari.

• xazac
    xazac
    Community Member

I’m on 16.1.1 on both my iPhone and iPad and the Safari extension started to have this issue again. I have to type password everytime and it also doesn’t work with biometric authentication.

Please, fix this issue ONCE FOR ALL.

• Dave_1P
    edited November 2022

To avoid sending unnecessary notifications to users for whom the "Reauthorize After" setting for 1Password for Safari is now working, I've split your comments into a new post dedicated specifically to 1Password for iOS 8.9.7 (or later) and iOS 16.1 (or later) so that we can investigate further.

@frogywill, @gordon3834, and @xazac

I'm sorry to hear that you're being prompted for your account password repeatedly when using 1Password for Safari even after updating to 1Password for iOS 8.9.7 and iOS 16.1 or later. I would be happy to re-open the investigation so that our developers can take a look and, as a troubleshooting step, I'd like to ask you to try the following steps:

1. Restart your iOS device.
    2. Open the main 1Password app using your account password.
    3. Switch to another app.
    4. Switch back to 1Password. Are you able to unlock the app using Face ID/Touch ID?
    5. If the answer to question 4 is yes, open Safari and try to fill a login: Fill logins and other items

Are you prompted to unlock 1Password for Safari using your account password or Face ID/Touch ID? If you're prompted to unlock only using your account password then I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your iOS device:

@AMonitorDarkly

Thank you for your advocacy here. I've created a new thread where we can collect reports of users running into this issue with 8.9.7 and iOS 16.1 (or later) and we'll investigate further.

@pappjo

I'm happy to hear that Face ID in 1Password 8 is working for you. 🙂

-Dave

• amjbrown
    amjbrown
    Community Member

Sent a diagnostics report having followed all the steps above. FaceID just not working on iOS 16.0 and hasn't been for weeks. Very frustrating - pretty much unusable. Switching to app and copy pasting back into Safari.

• amjbrown
    amjbrown
    Community Member

Just realised I am not on latest iOS! Trying it now..

...and very happily (and slightly embarrassingly) it works. So much for iOS automatic update overnight!

• @amjbrown

I'm happy to hear that updating to the latest version of iOS resolved the issue. Biometric unlock for 1Password for Safari does indeed require iOS 16.1 or later. 🙂

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.