1Password closed unexpectantly, won't reopen

Options
DavidU
DavidU
Community Member

I just tried opening 1Password, typed in my master password, and received a message that 1Password had closed unexpectantly. The message box gave me three options to reopen, to send a report to 1 Password, or ignore. Reopen didn't work. It just reopened the sign in box and started the cycle over. I quit 1 Password completely and restarted my computer and tried again. Same thing kept happening.

I did a search and found a response from someone on your team posted a while ago that suggested opening the applications folder and moving 1Password into the trash bin, emptying the trash, and reinstalling 1Password from their website. Is this the best/only solution? If so, will the newly installed 1Password contain all of my info?

Please help.

1Password Version: 7.9.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS Ventura 13.0.1
Browser:_ Safari
Referrer: forum-search:1Password closed unexpectantly, won't reopen

Comments

• Hello @DavidU! 👋

I'm sorry to hear that 1Password 7 is crashing on your Mac. Our developers are investigating an issue with version 7.9.7 and I recommend that you temporarily revert back to 7.9.6 in order to workaround the issue. Please follow these steps (don't worry, your data is stored in a separate location and is safe):

1. Quit all open web browsers.
    2. Open the main 1Password app. Right-click the 1Password icon in the menubar and click Quit 1Password Completely. (If you're unable to open the 1Password app at all then you can skip this step.)
    3. Drag 1Password 7 from the Applications folder to the Trash. Do not use an "app cleaner" or "uninstaller" tool to remove the app or additional files. If prompted, enter the password you use to sign in to your Mac.
    4. Restart your Mac.
    5. Download version 7.9.6 of 1Password 7 from the 1Password website.
    6. Quit any open web browsers and then install 1Password.
    7. Open and unlock 1Password before opening your web browser.

Let me know if you run into any issues.

-Dave

ref: apple-5712

This discussion has been closed.