Why is the watchtower score different on MacOS than it is on iOS?

Options
nosepickinglawyer
nosepickinglawyer
Community Member

My watchtower score is higher on iOS than it is on MacOS, and I have no outstanding action items on either platform - no items are ignored, and all watchtower flags have been resolved.

I noticed other threads here stating that there are various security options that are considered in the score on each platform when calculating the score, however I'm wondering why it's not transparent? If the data is the same on both platforms, and there are no outstanding flags, why would the score be different at all?

Both operating systems are the latest version of their OS and both are running the latest release of 1Password 8.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:watchtower scores different

Comments

• Hello @nosepickinglawyer! 👋

You're right that Watchtower scores can differ on different devices since the score takes into account how you're using 1Password on that device. For example, if you turn off automatic updates for 1Password on a device this will drop your score.

That being said, I personally agree that this should be better documented and I've opened a work item so that the product team can look into this further. While I can't make any promises, I can assure you that the team will investigate how we can better expose to users the factors that can affect the Watchtower score.

Thank you for the feedback!

-Dave

ref: IDEA-I-2271

• igeneo
    igeneo
    Community Member
    Options

Resurrecting this one...

Score on iPhone: 1102
    Score on iPad: 1063
    Score on MacBook Air: 1102
    Score on MacMini: 1063

They are all "current" in OS, the passwords I have changed over the last few days are all in sync

• @igeneo

The Watchtower score can differ on each device for a few reasons including (but not limited to):

• Having different accounts added to each device.
    • Using different collections on different devices. The Watchtower score is calculated based on the account or collection that you’re currently viewing.
    • Having different security settings enabled on each device (for example, if automatic updates for 1Password are turned off on a device then it will affect the score on that device but not other devices).

Do you see different suggestions regarding weak/reused passwords or inactive two-factor authentication when using the same account/collection on the different devices?

-Dave

• igeneo
    igeneo
    Community Member
    Options

They are identical, she suggestions on both. (5 weak and 2 expiring)

Same vaults, same everything

• @igeneo

It's normal that you might see different scores on different devices. As long as all of your items appear in the 1Password app on all devices then everything is working properly. Some things to check that can change the Watchtower score on a device:

• Is "Check for vulnerable passwords" enabled/disabled on each device?
    • Are automatic updates for 1Password enabled on each device?
    • Is "Connect with 1Password in the browser" enabled for 1Password on your Macbook Air and Mac Mini?

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.