How to turn off autofill? (I prefer Safari autofill)

winterludes
winterludes
Community Member
edited November 2022 in 1Password in the Browser

I can't find an option to turn off auto fill in 1password 8. I did it in 7. I much prefer Safari autofill because I don't have to enter a password or fingerprint scan just to fill in my address and I can auto fill in other contacts as well.

Thanks

1Password Version: 8
Extension Version: 8.9.8
OS Version: 12.1
Browser:_ Safari

Comments

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

Hey @winterludes, are you trying to turn off the function to fill anything with 1Password in Safari? Or are you trying to turn off the function to fill specific fields, like credit cards and addresses? How do you see yourself using 1Password, and what is your ideal experience?

Once I get those details, I'll be able to help further!

• winterludes
    winterludes
    Community Member

Hi, I'd ideally like to use 1password as a backup to apple iCloud Keychain. So I'd like to to remember new passwords, but I'd like to use iCloud Keychain and icloud/safari to autofill everything in Safari.

It's just too much work to enter the password or use fingerprint id just to enter the state I'm living in. And iCloud lets me autofill other contacts which I use all the time.

But I'd really like to have it remember new passwords and keep them as a backup and I'll also be using it to store secure notes and access passwords where autofill doesn't work like in apps and things.

Thank you!

• Hi @winterludes , it sounds like you might not have app integration turned on.

Turning on app integration will let 1Password for Safari (browser extension) and the 1Password app use the Shared Lock State feature. This will make it so 1Password in Safari's auto-lock settings are controlled by the 1Password app and prevent the extension from locking when you don't want it to. If this is something that you would like to learn more about, we have a great support article that you can read here: How to set 1Password to lock automatically

If you don't want to use 1Password to autofill at all, there two slightly different options for configuring your settings:

1. Right click the 1Password icon in Safari's toolbar and choose 'Settings'
    2. Under the 'General' section, toggle off Make 1Password the default password manager.
    3. Scroll down to the 'Autofill Section' and toggle the following settings, based on what works best for you:
    • Show autofill menu on field focus: Toggling this off makes it so the 1Password icon will only appear when clicking in login fields but you won't be offered any autofill or saving options by 1Password unless you click the icon inside the field
    • Offer to fill and save passwords: If you don't want the 1Password in the browser to appear in login fields at all, toggle this off, Show autofill menu on field focus will be turned off as well. You will have to manually create your Login items to save them in 1Password.

Afterwards, you can configure Safari to autofill different fields by following Apple's guide here: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/safari/ibrwa005/16.0/mac/12.0

Let me know if those steps worked for you or if you have any questions :)

This discussion has been closed.