2 week relogin is excessive

rmschne
rmschne
Community Member

Please, put the 2-week required login into user's control. I have a complex password, stored in 1Password, of course. But having to re-login every two weeks is a big problem. I have to put this password on a Post-It note on my desk so that I can remember it when required, every two weeks. Incredibly stupid.

At minimum, make a setting for at what interval re-login is required. Give options of 1, 2, 4, 8 weeks or NEVER.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hey there @rmschne

You can choose either 2 weeks, 30 days or Never for requiring your account password when you have Face ID or Touch ID turned on. Here's what to do:

1. Open and unlock 1Password.
    2. Tap the account and collection chooser (the icon in the top-left corner) and choose Settings...
    3. Tap Security, then change "Require password" to your preference.

You might still need to enter your account password when Face ID or Touch ID fail, or if you reset them, but the "Require password" setting should do what you're asking about. Give that a try and let me know how you get on. I'll be here if you need further help. :)

— Grey

• rmschne
    rmschne
    Community Member

Well, I missed that. My understanding is that was there for the initial release of this version. I probably am wrong.

I changed to Never.

• @rmschne

The Never and Every 30 days options were added at the end of August. I'm happy that Grey was able to help. 🙂

-Dave

• rmschne
    rmschne
    Community Member

In 1Password 8.9.12 where is this setting to stop asking for login password so frequently. Here is screen shot:

• @rmschne

That "Require password" setting will only appear after you've set up another method of unlocking 1Password. On a Mac, you can use Touch ID on your keyboard or a nearby Apple Watch to unlock:

The Security tab will then show you that alternative unlock option, as well as the "Require password" setting, like this:

Hope that helps! Let me know if you need help with setting those up or anything else. :)

• rmschne
    rmschne
    Community Member

That's a pity as I do not have Touch iD on my iMac, nor do I have an Apple Watch (nor will I probably ever have such a thing). Certainly this option can be setup independent of Touch ID.

• @rmschne

From the look of your screenshot, you've already set your Auto-lock settings to be as permissive as possible, with 1Password not locking automatically after a set time or when the Mac sleeps, the screensaver comes on, or you switch to another user.

In your case, I'd still expect that you'll need to enter your account password to unlock 1Password after restarting your Mac or when 1Password updates, since both of those things cause 1Password to lock. Those, however, should be the only conditions unless you lock 1Password manually or quit it completely.

You might want to check that "Keep 1Password in the menu bar" in the General tab of Settings is turned on, so that if you do quit 1Password accidentally, you won't have to unlock it when you open it again. Give that a try, if you haven't already, and let me know how you get on. I'll be here if you need further help.

• rmschne
    rmschne
    Community Member

On my Mac Version 8.9.14, don't even get that "require password" option. My recollection used to be there. Even if used to be there, wish it were there now.

• @rmschne

Does this device support Touch ID? The option is not available when Touch ID is off.

• rmschne
    rmschne
    Community Member

iMac. No touch ID on any iMac's or Macbooks. Running Mac Version 8.9.14.

• @rmschne

The "Require password {2 weeks, 30 days, Never}" setting will only be shown when you're using an alternative unlock method – Touch ID or an Apple Watch, on a Mac – so what you're seeing is quite correct in this case.

• rmschne
    rmschne
    Community Member

Yes, I accept it's "correct", but it's a user-interface flaw for Mac's. Used to have that feature, now no longer.

• @rmschne

Without Touch ID or an Apple Watch being used to unlock 1Password, that setting wouldn't do anything. 1Password would ask you to enter your account password after that timeout has expired after 2 weeks or 30 days to make sure you don't forget it. (You can choose Never to ignore this.) Because you're not using Touch ID or an Apple Watch, you'll always have to enter your account password, which is why this timeout is not shown.

The usual "Lock after the computer is idle for:" setting will always be visible, and will control how frequently you're asked to unlock 1Password, regardless of the method.

You mentioned it's a user interface flaw. In what way? Could you tell me more about that?

• rmschne
    rmschne
    Community Member

"(You can choose Never to ignore this.)"

That's what I want. Not available to me on Mac (far as I can tell).

"You'll always have to enter your account password". It's the "always" I object to. My Mac is secure.

• @rmschne

Sorry I've not been clear here. When I said "you'll always have to enter your account password", I meant in the context of there being no other way for you to unlock your Mac. The emphasis there was on "enter your account password", rather than "always".

In your case, you should set "Lock after the computer is idle for" to Never, and turn off "Lock on sleep, screensaver, or switching users", which appears to be the case from your screenshot already.

On the General tab of Settings, you should also make sure that "Keep 1Password in the menu bar" is turned on, so that if you choose 1Password menu > Quit, or press ⌘Q (Command–Q), 1Password remains unlocked by staying in the menu bar.

You'll always need to unlock 1Password when you start up your Mac from cold and there is no way to turn this off, because your 1Password data is encrypted on disk. If your Mac wakes from sleep, 1Password will still be unlocked. You would also have to unlock 1Password if you manually locked it, or completely quit 1Password from the menu bar.

So in your case, the only situations that would mean you have to unlock 1Password are:

• starting up your Mac (instead of waking it from sleep),
    • after manually locking it through the 1Password menu > Lock, or
    • right-clicking 1Password in the menu bar and choosing Quit.

Those are the three absolute minimum cases where unlocking would be required using the settings I've described above.

Your Mac will use close to zero power when it's asleep, so if you want to avoid unlocking 1Password as much as possible, don't shut it down and put it to sleep instead, so that 1Password will still be unlocked when you wake it up.

This discussion has been closed.