I just changed a password and now need the old one again. How do I find it?

bgvandy
bgvandy
Community Member

1Password updated a log-in (new password) however, I cannot find the history and need the old one for identification. Is there any way to retrieve it?

1Password Version: 8.9.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOSCatalina 10.15.7
Browser:_ Chrome
Referrer: forum-search:I just changed a password and now need the old one again. How do I find it?

Comments

• Grishkaone
    Grishkaone
    Community Member

Hey @bgvandy

If I am not mistaken, the password history of an item is accessible as follows in the main 1password app:

• Place the mouse cursor on the password field
    • Click on the arrow that appears on the right of the field
    • Click on the 3rd line to display the password history

A popup should appear with the previous passwords for this item.

Does this work for you ?

Have a nice day 🖖

• Hi @bgvandy,

@Grishkaone's suggestion (thank you!) is spot on, you can find password history in the 1Password 8 Mac app:

If you're not seeing the option appear there, the app doesn't have any password history for that particular field, which could be the result of a couple things. Since you mentioned 1Password made the update, it sounds like this was a generated password from the 1Password browser extension. If you suspect the change was suggested but not saved, you can find a history of generated passwords within the browser extension itself:

From there you'll find your Password Generator History at the bottom:

Alternatively, password field history in the app is only available for password fields, so if you happen to use another field (text, for example) to store this data, the history won't be available in the app. You can find the history for the item in its entirety on 1Password.com.

Let me know how that goes or if you have any questions. 😊

• bgvandy
    bgvandy
    Community Member

@Grishkaone & @andrew1 - thank you very much! It worked and I appreciate your quick and clear responses. @bgvandy

• @bgvandy

I'm happy that the advice helped. 🙂

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.