Duplicating items now copies the password history. 1P employees promised it would not do this.

Dunecat
Dunecat
Community Member
edited December 2022 in Families

Use case:

As a families user, I want to share an existing login with a family member by duplicating it to a shared vault. The current password for the account is the only one I want to share. The password history contains prior passwords which I do not want to share.

There is no way, despite being requested since 2011, to remove password history. However, as recently as 2016, 1P employees specifically suggested using the "Duplicate" feature to get only the current password into the shared vault.

Unfortunately, as of today, 1Password 8 duplicates the whole login, including the password history. Easy to recreate, this is not a one-off.

So, what am I supposed to do, in this scenario, to get this done?

1Password Version: 8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @Dunecat! πŸ‘‹

Duplicating an item will do just that: create a perfect duplicate that includes all of the information that the original copy had, including password history.

If you'd like to share just the current password then I recommend creating a new Login Item, copying the information that you'd like to share into the new Login Item, and then moving that new Login Item into the Shared Vault.

That being said, I can see the value of an option to create a copy of an item without password history and I've filed a feature request on your behalf with our product team so that they can look into this. Thank you for the feedback! πŸ™‚

-Dave

ref: IDEA-I-2370

• Dunecat
    Dunecat
    Community Member

This thread from 2016 is closed but features 1P employees detailing how duplicating should not copy the password history, and how using "duplicate" is "the" workaround for not being able to remove the history. So what you're saying wasn't always the case--someone made the decision to change it for some reason, thus removing a pretty important piece of functionality, namely, ridding yourself of the history, or at least not sharing it when moving or copying an item to a shared vault.

https://1password.community/discussion/65758/clear-previously-used-passwords

Why'd 1P change this? Creating a new login item when all you want to do is rid yourself of the history -- or simply not to share the history -- is a pain. It's obnoxious.

Can we get a real explanation, or real commitment to solve the problem, rather than just an assurance that it's added to a request tracker?

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    edited December 2022

If the password history isn't duplicated as well, it would be lost if you copy items to a different vault for the purpose of making some kind of temporary backup duing a reorganisation, or if you want to make a copy available to someone else on a family account but don't want to remove it from your own vault.

I definitely want that 1Password will keep the password history on duplicate.

• @Dunecat

Thank you for the reply. 1Password 8 is a brand new app that's completely rewritten from scratch and an old thread from 2016 (written six years ago) doesn't apply to the new version.

When you duplicate an item in 1Password 8 it creates a perfect copy of that item and, as @Tertius3 mentioned, this is what many users consider to be the intuitive behaviour that occurs when you duplicate an item. I've definitely spoken with users in the past who were confused as to why 1Password 7's duplicate function only created a partial "duplicate" that didn't contain all of the information of the original item.

But I absolutely understand the utility of the previous functionality and, while I can't promise anything, the product team will consider adding such functionality to 1Password 8 in the future.

Please let me know if there is anything else that I can help you with. πŸ™‚

-Dave

• scndel
    scndel
    Community Member

If you need to duplicate at scale (as we're using 1Password automation), I'd suggest as workaround and good practice, to first create a template secret with empty items for the most sensitive fields. Then you can duplicate in confidence.

This discussion has been closed.