Cannot connect to browser

rthiker
rthiker
Community Member
edited December 2022 in 1Password in the Browser

After recent update I am unable to connect to the 1 Password extension in either Firefox or safari. I have entered text into terminal as suggested but still can not connect.

Comments

• ag_tommy
    edited December 2022

@rthiker

The image shows Firefox has an update. Have you applied that update? If so, does the message continue to appear? Update Firefox to the latest release | Firefox Help

Also 1Password may have an update too. Please give it a quit and then start it again. Look for our helper in the menu bar near the WiFi indicator and the clock. Right-click (Option-click) on the helper and select Quit.

• rthiker
    rthiker
    Community Member

It will not update

• Please continue the discussion here in this topic. There is not need to create multiple topics.

https://1password.community/discussion/135816/safari-browser-will-not-update-to-1password-extension-2-50#latest

• rthiker
    rthiker
    Community Member

While Firefox did update , every time I want to autofill I have to re enter the 1Password, password. Safari keeps giving me the message I attached earlier and the fix suggested, with the copy and paste to terminal, has not worked. Any other suggestions.

• @rthiker

We may need to take a deeper dive here if you've tried those steps. Please email us using support+forum@1password.com. Be sure to use the email address tied to the account in question.

• JRok77
    JRok77
    Community Member

I'm experiencing the same thing. When 1Password times out, I have to enter the master password twice - once in the app and again in the browser extension. Firefox is fully up to date.

• @JRok77

I'm sorry that you're also running into the issue. Can you try the following steps:

1. Close all open web browsers.
    2. Right-click on the 1Password icon at the top of your Mac's screen and then click Quit. Wait until the icon disappears.
    3. Double-click on 1Password from your Mac's Application folder.
    4. Open your web browser.

If that doesn't fix the issue then I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

The report will be in zip format. Please send the entire file.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• JRok77
    JRok77
    Community Member

@Dave_1P

Will do when I get home.

FWIW, I was just looking at the details of the 1Password Firefox extension and it looks like it was updated on December 6 which is exactly when I started experiencing this issue. I'm thinking something broke with that update.

Version

Last Updated
    December 6, 2022

• markbot
    markbot
    Community Member

I'm having the same problem with Firefox 107.1, 1Password 8.9.10 and extension 2.5.0

• ryan_short
    ryan_short
    Community Member

I had this issue too, I found it would happen if I have installed Firefox in ~/Applications. When I reinstalled Firefox in the /Applications directory it connected properly.

• @markbot

If you've not emailed us please do so. My colleagues are gathering data on users experiencing this.

1. Open 1Password.
    2. Press command and comma. The 1Password preferences will open.
    3. Tap Advanced.
    4. Click Send Diagnostics.
    5. Click Reveal to locate the report in your downloads folder.

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

• Your forum username: markbot
    • A link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/667144/#Comment_667144

• Please do not post your diagnostic report to the forum. This is for your privacy and security.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• @ryan_short

That would be expected behavior as in moving to /Applications helped. I'm glad you were able to sort the trouble.

• markbot
    markbot
    Community Member

Dear ag_tommy,

Support ID: [#GEM-92158-276]

• dkav
    dkav
    Community Member

I am having the same issue with 8.9.10 - neither Safari, Firefox or Chrome 1Password extensions are connecting with the 1Password app. I also tested with the beta release 8.9.11-1 and found that the regression is still not fixed. As a work around I turned off auto-update and went back to 8.9.8.

I am running macOS Catalina (10.15.7).

• JRok77
    JRok77
    Community Member

@dkav

How do you go back to 8.9.8?

• dkav
    dkav
    Community Member
    edited December 2022

@JRok77 I downloaded the old version. The url pattern is:
    downloads.1password.com/mac/1Password-#{version}-#{arch}.zip

Where architecture is "aarch64" for arch arm and "x86_64" for intel.

So for my Mac it was:
    https://downloads.1password.com/mac/1Password-8.9.8-x86_64.zip

• JRok77
    JRok77
    Community Member

@dkav

Thanks!

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

Hey all, if you are running macOS 10.15.7 and can update to macOS 13, then that may resolve the issue with the extension being unable to connect to the app. I recommend trying that, and I also recommend restarting your computer. Those are some things we've seen that has helped other users. We don't recommend rolling back to an older version of the app.

• JRok77
    JRok77
    Community Member

@Joy_1P

I'm on an old iMac that cannot be updated past Catalina.

• dkav
    dkav
    Community Member

@Joy_1P I am in a similar situation as @JRok77. Given that Catalina is still supported we shouldn’t have to even if we could.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

@JRok77 Gotcha, thanks for letting me know about that. Were you able to restart your computer to see if it helped?

@dkav I do agree, I only asked about updating your macOS because it would be a quick a way to resolve the issue. If you are unable to do that, please try restarting your computer. If that doesn't work, then please let me know so that I can share your details with our developers.

Please note that our developers are actively investigating the issue. I hope there will be a solution in the future.

• JRok77
    JRok77
    Community Member

@Joy_1P

Yup, I've tried restarting my computer but to no avail.

• dkav
    dkav
    Community Member

@Joy_1P restarting doesn't resolve the issue.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

I'm using Firefox 108.0 and have the latest beta extension (v2.6.1) installed. Also, I'm using beta build of 1Password for Windows 8.9.11 (80911001). No problems here.
    Maybe you also could try the latest beta builds? 🤔
    https://1password.com/downloads/browser-extension/#beta-downloads

• markbot
    markbot
    Community Member

This workaround, kindly emailed to me by 1Password Support, works well:

1. Right-click the 1Password icon in your browser and select "Settings".
    2. Under "General", toggle "Integrate with 1Password app" to off.
    3. Under "Security", set your preferred Auto-lock settings for the browser extension.

Basically you disconnect the browser extension from the main app. You have to sign into each independently, but OK.

I'm too lazy to downgrade to a previous version, but I'm grateful that @dkav (above) showed where you could get it. Sometimes you have to be patient and, as they say in the boxing world, "roll with the punches."

:-)

• JRok77
    JRok77
    Community Member

@markbot

So you set your browser extension to never auto-lock?

• markbot
    markbot
    Community Member

@JRok77 Yes, I set the extension to never auto-lock.

Also, please be aware that this issue has been fixed in the Nightly Build Channel, according to an email sent to me by 1Password Support. The instructions sent to me to enable that are:

• Open the 1Password desktop app.
    • Right click the 1Password icon in the macOS menu bar (up near the clock) and select 'Settings'.
    • Select the Advanced section from the left sidebar.
    • Under Release channel select 'Nightly'.
    • Click the About section from the left sidebar.
    • Click on 'Check for Updates' (if the update isn't showing already)
    • Click 'Restart 1Password' to install this update.

The only other step I had to take was to toggle "Integrate with 1Password app" back on in the Extension Settings. Until I did that, password changes I had made in the desktop weren't reflected in the browser extension.

The desktop app and the browser extension are working correctly again.

Thank you to 1Password Support.

• JRok77
    JRok77
    Community Member

@markbot

Thanks. I'll just wait until they fix it in the Production channel.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2022

@JRok77 @dkav thanks for trying that out and for letting me know about it. I have good news and bad news. The good news is that our developers have a fix for the known issue that I mentioned. The bad news is that the fix is not publicly available. However, that should change soon!

For me to determine if you are indeed running into this issue, would you please send our Support team a diagnostics report: https://support.1password.com/diagnostics?

You can attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com. With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks!

• dkav
    dkav
    Community Member

@JRok77 8.9.11 was released today and it fixed the issue. Thank you for your help.

This discussion has been closed.