Ctrl/Cmd-Shift-X doesn't work when 1Password is locked

Options

It seems like since the past few updates, Ctrl/Cmd-Shift-X doesn't work when 1Password is locked. Once it's unlocked, I can use the keyboard shortcut. I've tried this on Mac and ChromeOS with multiple different Chrome accounts/profiles. I've checked Chrome extensions shortcuts and there are no competing extensions. Anyone have an idea?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 2.6.1
OS Version: ChromeOS
Browser:_ Chrome
Referrer: forum-search:keyboard shortcut

Comments

• Hi @mikeho,

I'm sorry for the trouble, can you start by giving the below steps a try to see if it improves things:

1. Right click on the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar and choose Settings.
    2. Disable 'Integrate with 1Password app'
    3. Close and reopen Chrome
    4. Go back to the extensions settings and re enable the integration.

If this doesn't help, I think it would be useful if we could take a closer look at some logs and what may be going wrong.

I'd like to ask you to send over a console log from your browser as well as a diagnostics report:

Please attach the reports to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com with a link to this thread.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• mikeho
    mikeho
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks! I'll try. Do I need to turn the integration back on? I don't have the 1Password app installed, so maybe we don't need it enabled.

• Thank you for getting back to me @mikeho, I thought it may have been an integration issue but that rules that out if you don't have the 1Password app installed. You're right, you don't need that setting enabled.

Can you right click on the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar and choose Settings then scroll down to the 'Shortcuts' section and choose 'Change on Extensions page'. Do you see the correct shortcut (⇧⌘X) allocated to activate the extension?

• mikeho
    mikeho
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, so on Mac, it's ⇧⌘X and on ChromeOS, it's ⇧-Ctrl-X. Both are correct. It's weird because now it works occasionally, but I can't figure out when it does work and when it doesn't work.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mikeho hmm are you able to send us your extension console logs the next time the keyboard shortcut does not work? The logs will tell us more about why the keyboard shortcut is not working via the extension.

Here's how to grab your extension console logs: https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/

Like Steph said, please attach the reports to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com with a link to this thread.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• radarradarradar
    radarradarradar
    Community Member
    Options

This is happening to me, too. Was this ever resolved?

• Hey @radarradarradar,

Can you let me know if this is something that has just recently started affecting you? I'm wondering if you are running into an issue some users have been running into since the latest update where they are having a hard time using Cmd + Shift + X to open 1Password in the browser.

• radarradarradar
    radarradarradar
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, it started happening about 2 weeks ago or so

• Thanks for getting back to me @radarradarradar, can you let me know which browser you are using?

• dbertram
    dbertram
    Community Member
    edited February 2023
    Options

Possible solution/workaround: exit the desktop client?

I've been experiencing what seems to be the same problem: as of a few weeks ago the Ctrl+Shift+X keyboard shortcut was no longer been opening 1Password in Chrome. I went into the extension's settings and confirmed the keyboard shortcut hadn't changed and even tried editing it to set it to Ctrl+Shift+X again in case that somehow fixed things, but still no luck.

I generally avoid using the desktop client, but I noticed it was running and have seen it slow down/interfere with the browser extension before, so I tried exiting the desktop client and immediately the Ctrl+Shift+X shortcut began working again in Chrome.

Versions, in case it's relevant:
    Windows 11 22H2 Build 22621.1194
    Chrome 110.0.5481.77
    1Password Browser Extension 2.6.0
    1Password Windows Desktop client was version 8.x ... I'm not sure if it was the latest b/c I've since removed it to avoid this problem going forward.

Hopefully this helps narrow down the problem and/or helps others in the same situation!

• Hey @dbertram,

Thanks for this information and I'm sorry for the trouble.

It sounds like the problem lies with the communication between 1Password in your browser and your 1Password desktop app.

If you would like to reinstall the 1Password app and give things another go I'd be happy to help make sure things are working as they should be.

Let us know how you get on!

• radarradarradar
    radarradarradar
    Community Member
    Options

I'm using Chrome 110.0.5481.77 on Macos.

• ptr727
    ptr727
    Community Member
    Options

Same problem here, ctrl-shift-x stopped working a week or two ago, Win 11, Chrome 109.

• lanrat
    lanrat
    Community Member
    Options

This has also broken for me with Chrome on ChromeOS, Mac, and Linux.

I found the solution to be to navigate deep into the global Chrome Extension Shortcut Settings. Delete the 1Password Keyboard Shortcut, and then re-add it.

• lanrat
    lanrat
    Community Member
    Options
  • ptr727
    ptr727
    Community Member
    Options

Recreating the same shortcut worked for me.

• Hey @lanrat, @ptr727,

I'm sorry for the disruption, I'm glad you were able to get things back on track.

@radarradarradar,

Are you still experiencing difficulty?

• radarradarradar
    radarradarradar
    Community Member
    Options

The workaround linked above worked for me. Thanks!

• Thanks for updating us @radarradarradar On behalf of Steph, you're welcome.

• mikeho
    mikeho
    Community Member
    Options

@steph.giles sorry for the delay. The workaround you posted on the other thread (https://1password.community/discussion/137658/anyone-else-having-trouble-with-the-keyboard-shortcut) worked for me.

• Thank you for the update @mikeho.

This discussion has been closed.