Export All Items to CSV

Backeast
Backeast
Community Member

I am a 1password newbie. I would like to export All of my items to a CSV file. Was only able to export Logins. My Email accounts, Identities, Wireless Routers, Notes are not included in the export file. Is there a way to capture all of my items for export? Running v 8.9.10 on Mac.

My apologies if this question has already been answered. I couldn't find the solution.

Many Thanks in Advance.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @Backeast! 👋

CSV exports only include Login and Password items and a limited set of fields. If you'd like to export a complete and lossless copy of your items then you can use the 1PUX format: How to export data from 1Password

Was there a particular reason why you're exporting your items? Keep in mind that exports are unencrypted plaintext files and so result in you removing your passwords and other items from the secure and protected environment of 1Password.

-Dave

• Backeast
    Backeast
    Community Member

Hello Dave,

Thank you for pointing out the 1PUX option but I’m not enough of a techie to strip my items out of this format. A CSV file is all I can handle.

To answer your question, with respect, I’m exporting my items because it’s my data. I fully understand that exports are unencrypted and therefore exposed to risk. But that’s my risk to take. I’m not comfortable with 1Password deciding which items I can export to CSV.

Can you tell me why 1Password decided to limit CSV export items? I ask because I'm worried that 1Password may decide in a future update to eliminate all CSV exports. Is this in the works? In that scenario my data would be in accessible to me except through your application. Or 1PUX which is over my head.

I’ve had 1Password for about a year now. So far I think it’s really fantastic. But I do need to be able to get my data out and into my possession at will in a form I can work with. I hope 1Password will reconsider and restore a full export of all items to CSV. You have a great product and I’d love to stick with it.

How about adding a disclaimer when selecting a CSV export, like a Terms and Conditions absolving 1Password of any liability? It could require the user to check a box saying they understand the risk of leaving the secure 1Password environment and assume full responsibility. Just an idea in case it applies!

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

Best Regards,
    --Backeast

• @Backeast

Thank you for the reply. The CSV data format is limited and so only supports logins and passwords because it isn't able to support other types of items such as document items. We created the 1PUX file format due to the limitations of the CSV data format. 1PUX files have the technical capability to include all of the data that is saved into your 1Password account.

We're certainly not planning to remove CSV exports and we agree that your data is yours and that you should be able to do whatever you wish with it. It's why our apps have the export functionality built-in to them in the first place and why we created 1PUX due to the shortcomings of CSV files.

How about adding a disclaimer when selecting a CSV export, like a Terms and Conditions absolving 1Password of any liability? It could require the user to check a box saying they understand the risk of leaving the secure 1Password environment and assume full responsibility.

1Password 8 already includes a warning of this type:

Please let me know if you have any questions. 🙂

-Dave

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

@Backeast I had pretty much the same question and I am new to 1password. I have a question on the export instructions. I don't see where you're talking about in the link above. I am on a Windows PC and in a Firefox browser trying to do this. Can you provide instructions for me to export the CSV in that environment? I realize I will only get login information

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

@Backeast I figured it out. The instructions above were for 1password 8 (the application) and not just logging in to a browser. Now that I have the app the instructions work fine.

This discussion has been closed.