Safari stealing focus

Options

Hi! Something strange is happening since a while. Safari has begun frequently stealing focus. After some investigation it seems that it's tied to the 1Password extension (I don't have any proof yet, but when disabling it the issue is not present). It seems to happen when a website perform an auto refresh. If I'm on another virtual desktop, it scrolls to the one containing Safari, bringing it to front. You can imagine how disturbing it is. I don't have any other extension loaded in Safari.

Am I the only one?

Thanks!

1Password Version: 8.9.10
Extension Version: 2.4.1
OS Version: macOS 13.0.1
Browser:_ Safari

Comments

• Hey @emix,

I'm sorry for the trouble. In order to try and understand what may be causing the issue can you test it with the integration between the browser and your 1Password app disabled to see if you see the same behaviour, Here's how:

1. Right click the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar
    2. Disable 'Integrate with 1Password app'

Let us know how you get on with this so we can see where the issue lies.

In addition, I think if you are able to send a screen recording of the strange behaviour you are seeing this could be helpful. If you would prefer to send this is in an email please send it to support+forum@1password.com with a link to this thread.

Thanks very much!

• emix
    emix
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @steph.giles,

thanks for commenting! I'll have a try and will come back when I have news.

Speak soon!

• emix
    emix
    Community Member
    Options

@steph.giles it seems that disabling that option didn't mitigate the issue. However if I debug the extension with the Safari Web Inspector when the issue occurs, I get this error. Hope it can help you to identify the issue.

• Thanks for the update @emix.

I think it would be useful if we could take a closer look at some logs and what may be going wrong. I'd like to ask you to send over a console log from your browser as well as a diagnostics report:

Please attach the reports to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com with a link to this thread.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thank you!

• AlecLU
    AlecLU
    Community Member
    Options

I think I have been seeing this issue since upgrading to 1Password 8 - have you had any success with debugging/fixing the issue please?

• emix
    emix
    Community Member
    Options

@AlecLU not unfortunately, this is still happening and is very annoying :(

• Hi @emix,

I'm sorry for the ongoing trouble, did you email in with the logs?

• emix
    emix
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @steph.giles,

here is the support ID: [#QRB-42262-284]

• Thank you @emix, let's continue troubleshooting over email.

• steve28
    steve28
    Community Member
    Options

@steph.giles did you get anywhere on this? I see this as well. working away and "bam" safari window pops to the front. It's random, super annoying, and I have no repro steps. I found this thread with a google search. Been occurring for months...

• Hey @steve28,

It would be useful if we could take a look at your particular set up to see if we can get to the bottom of things as it may not be the same scenario.

Could you please also send over some logs:

Please attach the reports to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com with a link to this thread. Thank you!

• stellar292
    stellar292
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having this exact issue as well. Latest Safari on latest macOS, the Safari window will randomly pop up / steal focus, only when the 1P 8 extension is enabled.

• Hey @stellar292, I'm sorry for the trouble.

Can you send the same details as requested above to support+forum@1password.com with a link to this thread where our team will be able to further assist.

Thank you!

• unpassword
    unpassword
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having this issue, or at least one very similar.

My primary browser is Edge on macOS. I also use Safari.

Sometimes when I unlock 1Password on Edge, the 1Password extension in Safari will steal focus.

In other words, I'm on Desktop 1, unlock 1Password, and immediately (and unexpectedly) my screen switches over to Desktop 2 (virtual desktop on same monitor) where I have Safari open. I then have to flip back to Desktop 1.

Sometimes after a reboot/relaunch of all browsers/1Password it clears-up. But it's very annoying.

• Hi @unpassword,

Thanks for reaching out!

When you mention that it's switching from Desktop 1 to Desktop 2, are you referring to having set up different "virtual" desktops using Mission Control? If you're using Edge and Safari on the same desktop, do you still experience the same behaviour? Additionally, is this only present when locking or unlocking the 1Password desktop app?

• unpassword
    unpassword
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, separate “virtual” desktops in Mission Control. If they’re in the same desktop, I’m fairly certain it happens as well. It’s just less shocking. I believe it also happens on my MacBook Pro, so it’s not just the desktop (Mac mini m1).

• unpassword
    unpassword
    Community Member
    Options

Tried something. 1Password locked and I need to login to a site.

Quit and relaunched Safari in Desktop 2.

Went back to Desktop 1, unlocked 1Password in Edge (has been open for days) and it didn't do the switcheroo.

So we at least know that quitting and relaunching Safari has an effect.

• unpassword
    unpassword
    Community Member
    Options

It's happening again - and this time Safari was in the same "virtual" desktop and the unlocking stole focus. I noticed it because after unlocking I use arrow keys/enter to select login and nothing happens (because my cursor jumped to Safari).

• Hi @unpassword,

Thanks for providing those details.

We can disable the integration feature within 1Password for Safari to stop the focus stealing behavior. Here are the steps:

1. Open Safari and right-click(ctrl + click) on the 1Password icon in the browser toolbar.
    2. Select Settings.
    3. In the General section, turn the Integrate with 1Password app to OFF, as shown below:

However, that means we will need to unlock 1Password for Safari separately. Can you test to see if that helps?

• kakslash
    kakslash
    Community Member
    Options

I have this same issue, but Safari is my default browser. Anytime I unlock 1password, it will bring focus to any Safari window that is open. Disabling integration with Safari would not be ideal as it is my default browser. Is there any other way to prevent this behavior? It happens on multiple Macs for me.

• Hey @kakslash,

I'm sorry for the trouble, our team are working to improve this and I have added you as an affected user to the internal issue.

Are you unlocking 1Password by using a keyboard shortcut? Is the behaviour improved if you manually open 1Password and unlock it?

Apologies again for the disruption!

ref: dev/core/core#22735

• stanhbb
    stanhbb
    Community Member
    Options

Hello @steph.giles

I have also the same problem since a long time (and just lived with it, despite the annoyance).
    I often use the cli tool that unlocks via touchID (either directly on the Terminal or by calling from a Clojure Repl in Intellij). Safari then either flashes or pops in front of all windows.

I just tried the workaround above (disabling the integration with the 1Password App) and it seems to work. However unlocking via TouchID is no more possible in Safari (the extension asks for my password).

Can you also add me to the list of affected people? I'd like to know when this is solved.
    Thank you! ;)

• 1bvr
    1bvr
    Community Member
    Options

I’ve also had this issue for months. As mentioned above, also just live with the annoyance. But if it helps raise the priority/impact of this bug, you can add me to the affected list, too.

• stanhbb
    stanhbb
    Community Member
    Options

After a few days of use, unfortunately, the workaround does not really work. The focus steeling seems to be less frequent, but did not disappear.

• npdaaa
    npdaaa
    Community Member
    Options

This is also happening to me, and it is very annoying. Please add me to the list of annoyed and "to be kept informed" users.

• Kentzo
    Kentzo
    Community Member
    Options

I believe I have the similar issue:

1. 1Password is Locked
    2. Bring the Quick Access window via a shortcut, I'm presented with the macOS unlocking dialog
    3. Use my Apple Watch to unlock
    4. After the unlock Safari is brought to the foreground stealing focus from the app where I planned to log in.
  • frankly
    frankly
    Community Member
    Options

I am also having this issue. The bigger problem I have with 1Password 8 is that its behavior is not deterministic at all. For example, if I use the keyboar shortcut to login to a website, nothing happens. If I execute the same keyboard command again immediately, it will fill the username and password fields in the browser and log me in. There are other example of non-deterministic behavior. This is maddening when using a computer program. If I can't depend on its behavior it makes the product a chore to use, when it used to be a pleasure 100% of the time.

• Hello, @stanhbb, @1bvr, @npdaaa, @Kentzo, @frankly. Thanks for writing in.

I've added you all as affected users to our internal reporting and I apologize for the inconvenience.

@frankly, it sounds like you're encountering a separate issue as well with Universal Autofill. I recommend sending an email to support+forum@1Password.com so that our support team can help you.

Looking forward to hearing back!

ref: dev/core/core#22735

• sciascia
    sciascia
    Community Member
    Options

I too have had this issue for months. Safari seems to come to the fore when logging-in to 1Password from Chrome, or Safari just comes to the front for no reason (that I can tell).

Out of curiosity, I seem to have two 1Passwords in /Applications '1Password.app' and '1Password for Safari.app'. Are both needed or is '1Password for Safari.app' causing conflicts?

Cheers, Ben

• MacOS 13.6.3
    • 1Password for Mac 8.10.1 (81001033)
  • @sciascia

I'm sorry that you're seeing the same issue, I've let our developers know that you're also affected.

Out of curiosity, I seem to have two 1Passwords in /Applications '1Password.app' and '1Password for Safari.app'. Are both needed or is '1Password for Safari.app' causing conflicts?

1Password is the desktop application while 1Password for Safari is our browser extension for Safari. It's normal to have both and I recommend that you continue to keep both installed on your Mac so that you have access to both the desktop app as well as filling and saving in Safari.

-Dave