Stop 1Password locking on system reboot

Options
Michael01
Michael01
Community Member

How can I stop 1Password from locking every time the computer restarts? I have already unticked the unlock option and changed the idle time to Never.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Ekalb
    Ekalb
    Community Member
    edited December 2022
    Options

I don't believe this is possible.
    That would be a horrible data security breach.

• Hello @Michael01,

You mentioned

How can I stop 1Password from locking every time the computer restarts?

There is no way to never have to unlock 1Password, I'm afraid. 1Password will automatically lock if the computer is restarted or whenever your browser is closed.

Windows Hello allows you to unlock 1Password without entering your account password after you quit 1Password or restart your PC. This uses either a PIN, facial recognition, or fingerprint to access 1Password. That being said, 1Password would still lock after the browser has been closed, however with Windows Hello enabled, you will be able to unlock 1Password again using either PIN, Fingerprint or Facial recognition.

Follow this guide to set up Windows Hello to unlock 1Password on your Windows PC.

The requirements to use Windows Hello with 1Password are:

• 1Password 8 desktop app is installed.
    • PC/Laptop is compatible and supports TPM 2.0.

If these are present, Windows Hello can be used to unlock your PC.

If you don't have the latest version of 1Password 8 for Windows app you can download it here: 1Password 8 for Windows app

To check if your PC is compatible and supports TPM 2.0, you can enable this setting through the 1Password app.

To enable this:

1. Open and unlock 1Password.
    2. Click ⋮menu > Settings (or press Ctrl-comma).
    3. Click on the advanced tab. You will see an option Use the trusted Platform Module with Windows Hello, make sure this option is ticked.

If this option is available to you, it means that your hardware is compatible, and you will be able to use Windows Hello to unlock 1Password between restarts.

If this option is greyed out, it means that your computer is not TPM 2.0 compatible. In these instances, you will need to enter your account password between restarts; as there's no secure manner to store encryption keys on the device and store them securely through a reboot of the device.

Let me know if this has been helpful at all, I look forward to hearing from you.

Jermaine

• Michael01
    Michael01
    Community Member
    edited December 2022
    Options

Hi Jermaine,

The information is very helpful. Windows Hello via facial recognition will be a zero touch solution, but I will need hardware upgrades first. Thank you.

Question: I added my wife into the 1Password family and she shares my computer (same windows login). How can I easily switch between her account and my account in the browser (I use Edge, she uses Chrome)?

Michael.

• Mycenius
    Mycenius
    Community Member
    Options

"The information is very helpful. Windows Hello via facial recognition will be a zero touch solution, but I will need hardware upgrades first. Thank you."

Just set your Windows Log On (Hello) to use a PIN. When you start 1PW you can just 'click on the smiley face' and enter the PIN... But you may still need to log in with your master password the first time... You don't need actual biometrics hardware installed.

• donatom3
    donatom3
    Community Member
    Options

Jermaine,

You're going to need to use separate windows accounts to be able to have the desktop app function for both of you. Otherwise the desktop app will automatically sign in the browser extension into the desktop app's account.

• Darcorn
    Darcorn
    Community Member
    Options

Just my 2 cents but demanding your master password every reboot makes a lot of sense because it helps you remember it.

• Mycenius
    Mycenius
    Community Member
    Options

Indeed. Even more so it protects your password vault data!

Otherwise you might as well just write all your usernames, passwords and URLs out in a plain text file and leave it lying on your desktop for any old malicious actor to hoover up in a drive-by intrusion...

• Good morning @Michael01,

Question: I added my wife into the 1Password family and she shares my computer (same windows login). How can I easily switch between her account and my account in the browser (I use Edge, she uses Chrome)?

Sorry for the late reply. If you are using the desktop app, disabling the Integrate with 1Password app option and signing out of your account in Chrome as below, will help:
    1. Open your browser, right-click the 1Password icon in the address bar, and choose Settings.
    2. Under the General heading, disable Integrate with 1Password app.
    3. Scroll to the bottom and sign out of your account as needed.
    4. Your wife should then be able to click the Sign in option to add her account to Chrome.

If you are both planning using 1Password in the browser and the 1Password 8 for Windows app, @donatom3 is correct and you should use separate Windows accounts. Otherwise, you would need to sign out and back in to the desktop client for each user: Sign out of 1Password

I hope this is helpful. Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

This discussion has been closed.