Changing file attachment name

Options
jklosin
jklosin
Community Member

Hi:
Is there a way to change the file attachment name within 1PW (e.g., scanned document)? I am certain I was able to do that a couple of years ago, but now I don't seem to be able to do that. I am using the latest version of 1PW on Mac and iOS devices running the latest version of MacOS and iOS.
Thank you,
Jerzy

1Password Version: 8.9.11
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mac 13.1
Browser:_ Safari

Comments

• Hi there @jklosin

1Password can't rename your files for you, so to change the file name, you'll need to download the file to your Mac, rename it in the Finder, then reattach it to the item in question. The same goes for iOS – you can rename downloaded files in the Files app and reattach them.

Give that a try and let me know how you get on. I'll be here if you need further help. :)

— Grey

• jklosin
    jklosin
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, Grey, for your reply. Is my memory correct that the past 1PW versions had the ability to rename files? I am quite sure about it. Is adding this feature on your development roadmap? Changing attached file names would be a useful future for 1PW users.
    Jerzy

• jklosin
    jklosin
    Community Member
    Options

By the way, the procedure you outlined worked both on Mac and iOS, but it is quite inconvenient. I was planning to use 1PW for storing even more sensitive information/files (e.g., medical records via document scanning), but the inability to change the names of uploaded files is giving me a pause.
    Jerzy

• On behalf of Grey you're very welcome, @jklosin, appreciate the confirmation. I understand the benefit in being able to do this within the app and would welcome it myself. We're tracking feedback to bring this to 1Password 8 so I'll add your voice to the mix.

In case it's useful, a workaround for now could be uploading attachments as separate Document items and then renaming/linking those items to others. This gives you more flexibility in that you could link the same attachments to multiple items. This would result in having more total items though and you'd need to be mindful about moving them between vaults as doing so would sever those links. I'll share the relevant support articles if this is something you'd like to explore:

Let me know if you have any questions and thanks for letting us know renaming attachments is part of your workflow. 🙂

ref: IDEA-I-704

This discussion has been closed.