Dark Mode not working on my Mac

Options
tommyhothead
tommyhothead
Community Member

I get black text on a very dark grey sidebar. Not useful.
I prefer the interface that I have setup in 7.9.6 running on another Mac, and that is not an option of course. The left sidebar is medium dark grey. You remember. It was perfect.

But now I will be nagged to upgrade and after I do, get a dark mode that doesn't work, and a sidebar that is nearly black, not medium grey grey.
Why not let us select our shade of grey with a slider? Our Macs have billions of color options.
So your new interface is as if I left home, and when I got back a stranger had come in and painted my house while I was away. And I don't like the color.

And I really love spending my day working for the software instead of thew software working for me.

1Password Version: 8.9.11
Extension Version: 80911019
OS Version: OSX 12.6
Browser:_ Yours

Comments

• @tommyhothead

I believe I know the trouble you've described. I've had reports of this via email that this behavior extends to other apps as well. This is not an issue in our nightly. Several user including myself have confirmed that today.

Workaround: You can try closing and opening the window. Some have reported success with that. Others have quit and reopened 1Password with success. From what we have found the trouble originates from changing the system appearance setting. I suspect your setting is automated like the others who reported this. For a true workaround you could temporarily leave one system appearance set (light or dark).

I've not seen a screenshot but I think this is most likely what you are describing. I also see that you are using macOS 12.6. I would recommend updating to 12.6.2 when possible.

• FredericC
    FredericC
    Community Member
    Options

Is this this type of bug ?

I regularlly switch between light/dark mode on my mac according to my mood / time of the day.
    1password is the only app that regularly fail to completely switch. :/ not the most disturbing bug as closing/repoen the window is enought to fix, but it make the app look so cheap.

• Hi @FredericC,

I suspect what you're seeing there is indeed related to a known bug. We've had some reports of turning hardware acceleration off/back on showing improvements, but not across the board. If you're open to trying that, it would help to know your findings:

I've added you to our tracker in the meantime and apologize for any discomfort this is causing you. Thanks for taking the time to report it. 💙

ref: dev/core/core#13918

• FredericC
    FredericC
    Community Member
    edited January 2023
    Options

I unchecked the hardware acceleration to try the problem is the same… I thought it was "from time to time" but just tested that it occurs all the time I change the light/dark theme on macos.
    By the way I'm using an M1 macbook air if it can help and everything is up to date to last version.

Frederic

• @FredericC

Yes, this is the issue I was thinking of above. It's resolved in our Nightly in my own testing and that of fellow users who reported this behavior. I'm hoping you'll see this in the production before long.

This discussion has been closed.