Bug Report: Clicking app when window not on top registers in app instead of focussing/bring to front

DLU
DLU
Community Member

I'm switching from LastPass so I've been interacting with the native Mac 1Password app a ton over the past 24 hours. I will frequently click on the 1Password app when it's under my browser (i.e. some of the 1Password window is covered by my browser window which has focus). The expected behavior (that all other Mac apps follow) is the background app window should ONLY get focus and move in front of all other windows. Instead, what is happening is, in addition to getting focus and moving to front, the click is also registering in the 1Password app and causing unintended actions.

For example, due to limited laptop screen real estate, my browser window covers left 2/3rds of my screen and my 1Password app window covers the right 2/3rds (i.e. approx. same size but is positioned so it extends to the right edge of my screen). When my browser window is on top, I only see the right third of my 1Password window extending from behind. When I click on 1Password to give it focus, I'll click on what looks like a blank area but is actually the "Open and fill" button in the "un-hovered" state (i.e. blank white area). Clicking on that "blank" area actually clicks on the "button" that I can't see. That will then not only open a web page that I did not intend to open, but it also gives the focus back to the browser so it's on top again. Similarly, I have inadvertently clicked on one of the username or password fields which copies the contents into my clipboard buffer and overwritten something I was planning on pasting into 1Password.

1Password Version: 8.9.11
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS Ventura 13.0.1
Browser:_ Chrome
Referrer: forum-search:Clicking on empty space when window not on top sometimes inadvertently clicks "Open and Fill"

Comments

• andrew.l_1P
    edited January 2023

Hi @DLU,

Welcome to 1Password and thanks for taking the time to share this feedback. I tested this myself and am seeing the same result. I noticed my browser behaves the same way but that some other apps do not.

I certainly understand the potential for accidents here though, so I'll surface this with the rest of the team. Thanks again for highlighting it and let me know if you have any questions. 🙂

ref: PB-29799430

This discussion has been closed.