How do i increase the default length of suggested passwords?

SusieBer
SusieBer
Community Member

I just started using 1Password (latest version). Where in the UI can I configure the default length of "suggested" (randomly selected) passwords? Thank you and Happy New Year!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:how do i increase the default length of suggested passwords?

Comments

• Hi @SusieBer,

Welcome to 1Password and our 1Password Support Community, happy to have you here. 🎉

There's a password generator in the 1Password desktop app as well as the browser extension, so depending on where you're using it you may need to do this more than once. Here are the steps:

In the app:
    1. Create a new item or edit an existing one
    2. Click on a password field
    3. Click the "Create a New Password" prompt that appears below the password field

In the password generator that appears, you can select a type of password and then customize a length for each type. Here's how that might look:

In the browser extension:
    1. Click the 1Password icon in your browser's toolbar
    2. Click the hamburger menu
    3. Select "Password Generator":

The generator that appears will look similar to that in the app and you can adjust your generation parameters the same way. If you'd like your selection to be what's offered in the inline menu suggestions, you can enable that option here as well:

Let me know how that works for you or if you have any questions. 🙂

• SusieBer
    SusieBer
    Community Member

Andrew, hi! Thank you for your kindness. Your screenshots are a tremendous help. While stepping through them, I realized where I went wrong. My default Type is Smart Password. When I change the type to Random Password, that's when the "Use as default..." option is displayed. I appreciate all your efforts to help me. :) Happy New Year!

• Hi @SusieBer,

Happy to hear you found what you were looking for, I appreciate you adding a screenshot + details to help out the next person who comes across this thread!

We're always around if you have any questions in the future and a happy new year to you as well. 😊

This discussion has been closed.